Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winn Dixie LOVES to chew, as I know all doodle puppies do.
I bought him 3 chews at Petco that cost a total of $15 dollars. He has already chewed through 1 whole chew. I can't afford $5 a day! Any suggestions on what I can try that might be more affordable?

·
Registered
156 Posts
How about some raw bones from the grocery store . When he eats the marrow from the bone then you can fill with peanut butter.

michele

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this be beef bones?
Would that be very expensive?

·
Registered
156 Posts
i THINK we just paid 2.35 for 6 marrow bones however it takes him a while to work through it and sometimes i put it back in the fridge for later. There are knuckle bones too you could get.
if you are concerned about it being raw you can wash it with humane grade peroxide or grapefruit extract
Michele

·
Registered
174 Posts
I get bones from a local butcher. Some grocery store meat departments will sell dog bones, too. But, we have two local butchers in town and one sells them "fresh off the carcus" for .69/lb and the other sells a 15 lb. bag of frozen dog bones for $11.00. They last Puddles at least a month! Plus the butcher bones are a little meatier than the Petco variety. Puddles thoroughly enjoys them!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I learned the hard way ...DON"T throw out stuffed squeaker toys
dead caracasses are their favorite aka defuzzed,desqueaked and behead or befooted

HOWEVER KONG toys and CUZ (jw) toys are great RUBBER toys almost indestructible

marrow bones and The TANK knuckejoint bones made by Merrick are great

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!
I'm on my way to the grocery store now!!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
MaxandMe said:
I learned the hard way ...DON"T throw out stuffed squeaker toys
dead caracasses are their favorite aka defuzzed,desqueaked and behead or befooted

HOWEVER KONG toys and CUZ (jw) toys are great RUBBER toys almost indestructible

marrow bones and The TANK knuckejoint bones made by Merrick are great
Yup!
Sam's stuffed Bugs Bunny is minus a leg, almost beheaded, and about to lose an arm or two, lol! And eh still LOVES it!

But he wont use the Kong...?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is so true!
I am amazed at how many toys Winn Dixie has collected. He loves them all; old and new.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Bones for us too! Charlie can work on a knucklebone for weeks. He likes other chew treats but a rawhide or bully stick is devoured in a matter of minutes.

Deb

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
DebBrown said:
Bones for us too! Charlie can work on a knucklebone for weeks. He likes other chew treats but a rawhide or bully stick is devoured in a matter of minutes.

Deb
ditto with Beau and Cacao. I so need to go the butcher and see what I can get.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i got a couple of those big rope ball s..and Toby has yet to
destroy them..

also i went over to OSH and for $12 got 2 ft. of 1/2" rope..
i proceeded to punch hole s into some old tennis balls and
made some chew toy s by putting section s of the rope throuh
the holes..

with other length s of rope i knoted them up into what looked like
bones..a couple of them i tried rubbing some beef fat on them..
they seem to work but Toby usually destroy s them in a couple
of days..

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we use natural knuckle bones (we buy from white bone company). They are good for a few days if we take them away after 45-60 min. I found out Dex can demolish most of one in 3 hrs (forgot he had it one day when I was working at home) :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
deepnite10 said:
also i went over to OSH and for $12 got 2 ft. of 1/2" rope.
I LOVE OSH! I was there last week buying bundles of cotton rope to tie to Boo's toys. (We hang them on sturdy tree branches and let him chew the rope apart. When he chews thru it, we just re-tie it, and the fun continues! :wink: )
Hardware stores are a great place to get dog toy "ingredients". :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky swallows the pieces he chews off rope toys. He also swallows the parts and stuffing of soft toys. Not good! He's not allowed to have those toys any more. Even the "tuff" soft toys don't survive.

That really limits his toy collection!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts