Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've begun to notice a couple of bald patches on Mia's hips. It looks like she's chewing her fur off on either side just at her hip joints. The skin is not inflamed and there's no rash.

Have any of you seen anything like this? Any ideas what to do? I have been putting bitter apple on the spots in the hopes that would deter her. It seems to work for a bit but then she just gets over the bad taste and carries on. Kind of like me when I chewed my nails as a teenager. :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kathryn, It could be something as esay as dry skin. I would call up to the vet and see what they say. Adding oil to her food might help if it is dry skin.

Our doodle, Lani, was chewing the fur on her paws and also had bloodshot eyes which led me to think allergies. The vet checked her out and put her on an antihistimine and a fish oil suppliment. It seems to be working. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa is right, it could be caused by so many things...I would take her to the vet. I would NOT use bitter apple, as it has alcohol base and will burn. There is a product called bitter yuck (yes, stupid name) that is made for wounds and is a water based product. You could try that.
One thing that comes to mind is a skin disease that Poodles carry...I'd check with the breeder to see if they have tested their breeding stock for SA http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/healthsa.htm and ask your vet to check. It can be a painful test, so you may ask that they put your dog under anesthesia to test, but as this article states, sometimes the vets conduct costly testing before they test for SA...it probably is NOT SA, but I wanted you to be aware of the disease.
Please do notify your breeder.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for these responses. I have talked to my vet and she thinks it's more likely a nervous response to being left on her own from time to time than anything physical.

I've read through the website you sent me and Mia has none of the symptoms that are described. In fact, the skin in the area she chews is no different from the rest of her coat. There's no sign of dandruff or irritation, just the fur has been chewed at a very close crop.

The vet has suggested it is somewhat akin to a little kid sucking its thumb or chewing on the edge of a favourite blanket for comfort.

Thanks for the caution about Bitter Apple, I will look for the other product as well. Although, because there's no broken or irritated skin associated with this behaviour Mia has shown no sign that the bitter apple stings when I apply it to the two spots she like to chew/suck on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chewing Fur Off

Our Chow was allergic to Oak Tree pollen. In the spring she would chew her behinds & tail totally bald. The vet tried many antiallergens and nothing worked very well...Oatmeal based shampoos gave her the most relief during the 2-3 month pollen season.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts