Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought Bigsby would chew less once he lost his baby teeth, but he is chewing more than ever! It's about all he does. He never just lies around quietly. He finds a toy and begins chewing - going from one toy to the next - and, if he's not given a toy to chew, then it's whatever shoe is on the floor, or the laundry basket, or the door stop coming out of the wall, or the edge of the rug - I'm sure you understand. Most toys are destroyed within half an hour of constant chewing and I have to be vigilant to take them away before I think they are dangerous. Needless to say, stuffed toys are out.

So, please, what have you found to be the most indestructible chew toys? Anything made of fabric, no matter how tough, is shredded. Anything made of plastic is chewed into pieces. He chews the fuzz off tennis balls. I would never give him rawhide. The hard nylabones seem to hold up pretty well, but they are not his favorite (they don't have any taste) and he doesn't chew them for very long before looking for something else. I tried an edible nylabone but it didn't take long before he chewed off a dangerously large chunk so I threw it away. He loves ice, but I have to feed it to him and, again, if it's a piece large enough to keep him occupied for a while, I worry about him choking on it - and smaller pieces are chewed up in a jiffy. I've never tried giving him a real bone, because I worry it could splinter.

Bigbsy is right at 5 1/2 months. He really only began being this obsessive about it the past couple of weeks, right after he lost a bunch of his baby teeth. The new teeth seem to be in, though. Any idea as to how long this will last?

G

·
Freeze something good in a large kong, maybe tuna mixed with yogurt or just plain yogurt. It will keep him busy licking, not chewing though.
I give Bella marrow bones, they are usually too thick to splinter, and cows ears don't last too long but it gets her chewing for about an hour. And the flavored Nylabones are a hit (not the edible one, just flavored, big and white for the strong chewer) although they make me nervous because she does get slivers off and swallows them...can't be good to be eating plastic, although that is the point of them????

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do have a couple of kongs - forgot to mention those. I usually give those to him when he's in the crate because I know they're safe and he loves the kong stuff you can squirt into them. We could probably move up to a larger size, though. Do you find the marrow bones at the pet store? Maybe I'll try one of those. Cow's ears gave our last dog diarrhea so I have avoided those but I might give them a try too. We'll try anything at this point!

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter loves the non-edible nylabones. They come in flavors (chicken, bacon) and he will sit and chew on them for long periods of time. So far he hasn't destroyed them. They sell different sizes and we've purchased different ones and he seems to like all equally :) We've also purchased natural bones (they sell them at wegman's supermarket and petsmart) and dexter likes these too. Eventually these bones need to be replaced as they get gross or rough at the edges.

If you are interested, they do sell them at pet smart (but they're quite expensive there). We've found them cheaper online at dog.com.

G

·
Marrow bones at the supermarket. If not in the case, ask the butcher...he can cut them to the length you want and I know some people will scoop much of the marrow out because it is too rich for their dog...Bella does fine though.
And the COWS ears (not pigs ears) I get are ALL natural, free range...Bella can't have anything with smoked flavoring. These are huge and white with NO Smell!
http://www.amazon.com/40-Jumbo-Natural- ... 180&sr=1-3

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It must be tha Lab part that makes for the chewing... lol
Moses (SP) has never destroyed any of his toys. It takes him weeks to go through a bone, and even his stuffed toys are safe with him.

The Lab girls on the other hand will chew up the same bone in less than a day. They will chew up any toy they get hold of. The neighbors lab too is a little kleptomaniac that steals anything she can get her mouth on and destroys it. I've lost welcome mats, flower planters, etc to her.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok..i too am wondering about this chewing.
Max a Labradoodle, never really chewed anything but his toys and one old boot that needed to be thrown out hahhahaaa

PEANUT a goldendoodle now almost 8mos old has taken to chewing :evil: my wool rug and also has to be watched constantly. She has kongs, a million toys etc. now there is NO LAB in her hahhahaa anyone with goldendoodles that had this problem? She goes in and out of this stage since she was tiny. she used to eat plants...stopped...used to try tasting my boots...stopped...found out chair legs are out of the question is she would like to live to the next month, linoleum in kitchen is no longer an option. Socks ...well i am not going there now. hahhahhaaa She does DROP IT 100% of time and/or brings it to me happily. :roll:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It was on this site that I learned the joy a two liter bottle can bring. We don't drink soda, but do have the large Northland Cranberry Juice bottles which have corners. For whatever reason Ebbe does not chew through these. Stick a cookie in there for lots of fun and some doodle frustration.

And though she went through every stuffed animal she ever received ... some in an hour. She still have a large hedge hog purchased at PetSmart about six months ago. "Hoggy" is chomped on and played with at least once a day and still have all her innards. Do you think there are some toys/loveys they are more gentle with?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner also loves to chew also...we tried everything.. but bully sticks, pigs ears, all that sort of thing gives him diarrhea.

We found that raw bones with , expecially the ones about 5 inches long are good. We get them in a freezer at our Ma and Pa pet store. Go slow though in the beginning, starting with just a few minutes at a time until they get used to the marrow as it is very rich.

I have a couple of Nylabones...the white ones about 8 inches long for strong chewers and he has had that for 2 months. He is only able to chew off pieces about size of grain of rice.

Lastly, at Petco I have found a natural bone filled with a bacon filling made by Red Barn. Kinda pricey...$7.99..but he really likes those and they last him a very long time.

Whenever he is left alone, I only leave the Nylabones with him.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I give Dexter raw frozen bones too. It's his categorical favorite. He seems to handle the marrow pretty well. He might have a softer stool afterward, but never full-on diarrhea :shock: .

He too is quite the chewer. He doesn't go for the nylabones that much, but he'll have some fun with a stuffed kong. I haven't tried freezing stuff in it, but I definitely will.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle destroys some of her soft squeakies and others she has had since she was a puppy - If I can find the Hard vinyl/plastic toys she is ok with them, but not the soft flexible ones. When she destroys a soft squaky we destuff it and she stilll plays with them. I cannot give her the rope toys - she shreds them in record time. She does chew on her nylabones

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we do the same Annabelle....and our dooodles favorite toys are what we call "dead carcasses" cause all that is left is remnants completely defuzzed, destuffed and de-squeaked hahhahaha

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, let's see....

Nylabones....Coco destroys
The Edible Nylabones...she eats the whole thing in nothing flat and had diarrhea all the next day...we nixed those.

Haven't tried marrow bones...
Cows ears, the natural white ones, not smoked....last a few minutes, but she loves them.

Buddy Sticks by Red Barn...or the braids ....expensive, but she loves them and they might last a day, or two, if she gets busy with something else...for a special treat, or a time when she MUST be occupied...I'll get her one of those.

Seems when she was losing all her baby teeth...nearly all at once...and
for a few weeks while her big teeth came in all the way....she really gnawed on everything....but now she's much better.
FLlp Flops, paper towels, TP, socks, undies, pencils,
wooden alphabet blocks, her stuffed toys, my slippers and cedar mulch are things she will still try to get if you aren't watching....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts