Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

We've been giving Boudica the Nylabones for medium chewers for a while, but lately she's been tearing them to shreds. We tried the Nylabones for the strong chewers, but she doens't seem to like those...a bit too hard and plasticky I think. I don't want to sound too much like Goldilocks here, but can anyone recommend a chew toy that's just right?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've got HD chewers......the all time favorite is those giant leg bones from Hartz. Sometimes they can get abit funky smelly, but then we just go out and buy a fresh one. Anything to save the house & great for teething puppies!
I have also bought them some Bully sticks which seem to last longer than other Chewies.
Can someone tell me if there is something bad about them like with the rawhides, greenies & pig ears? The dogs sure enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My dogs won't chew those things :?
And Tuesday has the Nylabone Healthy Edibles gone in under 3 min., and swallows the Greenies whole.
For some reason the bullies last longer.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Boyd loved the bully sticks as a puppy but BOY did they produce SBDs!! :shock:

They were a great babysitter though!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We have used nylabones...Tanner only wants them when a visiting dog wants to chew on them. He likes ziggies, but now that he is 17 months they only last a few minutes.

We tried bully sticks but he got to where he could eat them in no time. Have you tried raw marrow bones. You can buy them frozen at some pet stores. You can scoop out most of the marrow as it is very rich for them and can give them the runs.

I use rawhide braids. Tanner will chew one for a bit every day. When they get about 4 inches or separate, I throw them away.

The Merrick Tank bones are great. I would think that would keep a puppy busy for a long time.

I only give these to Tanner when we are there to monitor him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses...
We give her rawhides and bones when we're around, but we're looking for a chew toy to leave her with during the day...something we don't have to moniter closely.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie doesn't like the heavy duty Nylabones either. His favorite thing is a big old knuckle end bone. He slowly gnaws away at it and one can last him weeks. I also got the stuffed hoove at Petco and that has lasted a long time too but is not as popular as the knuckle bone.

Hooves:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=6968

Knuckle end bone:

Deb

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sam doesn't mind the nylabone. Actually, Sam doesn't mind chewing almost anything thing :twisted: although he's pretty good in only chewing things I give him.....most of the time. Methinks one day, he got bored of his nylabone and he hid it. To this day (weeks later), I still haven't found where he's hidden his nylabone. :lol: Sam LOVES smoked rawhide or just rawhide in general. He also LOVES bones. These will keep him occupied for about an hour, sometimes longer. I don't give him pig ears because I can't bear the thought of him dragging gooey pig ears around the house. :shock: For something a bit softer, he chews on his rope toys and cuddly toys. Actually, I think he chews on his cuddly toys to make them squeak and prevent his dad from hearing what's on the telly. :twisted:

·
Registered
448 Posts
My problem with real bones, rawhide, and hooves is first the odor and second that they gum up Nicky's face hair and beard. He doesn't get them very often and when he does, he has to stay outside with them! He can have Nylabones inside to chew on because they don't stink and his hair stays clean. I don't give him the edible ones because he eats them up in no time at all. He's never had Greenies.

He has no interest in his Kong unless it has food/snacks in it. All he wants is to get the goodies out. He never chews on the Kong itself.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kong teether, kong ball, THE TANK bone made by merrick pic is post above mine (they cost $3.99)

and i can't think of anything else that has lasted in this house to-date

·
Registered
53 Posts
Darwin rips the kongs to pieces and eats them in record time. His poop was very colorful before we took kongs off the list of toys he can have!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Try the Kong Wooba
as it is a Kong covered in canvas
Denver has had it since Christmas and has not been able to
destroy it yet and he has tried..............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts