Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reminiscent of the mouse thread, Charlie was able to find 1 1/2 dead bunnies at the park today. The whole bunny has unpleasant enough but then he found just a HEAD! Ewwwwww!!

I can't stop thinking about the bunny head ripped off at the throat. Do you think there is a predator loose? Or did some aggressive dog rip a bunny apart? If someone was walking their dog when this happened, wouldn't they dispose of the remains???

Charlie usually plays in our local park off-leash but now I am stressing over him finding dead animals which could possibly carry disease.

Well... at least I feel better for venting!

Deb

G

·
Charlie--

Hey buddy don't you know Moms don't like dead animals for presents!!! Leave those things alone so your Mama doesn't stop taking you to the dog park.

Woof
Maya

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Yick!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine him finding that!!!!!! And I can't think of any animal that would do that to a bunny....Maybe you'll have to keep Charlie on leash when he's at this park for awhile...I'd be afraid of disease too..... :shock:

·
Registered
101 Posts
i had a similar experience today! i was walking rowen through the woods off leash, and all of a sudden he stops and stares at tree and freezes. so i look up at the tree and theres a dead racoon draped over a branch! it was disgusting.. it looked like a deflated racoon. i was trying to figure out what did that to the animal, because it had no physical harm done to it besides its insides were obviously not there anymore and a hind foot was missing and its eyes were gone... very strange.. and gross!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
ewwwwwwwwww Charlie did you learn nothing from Annabelle's Mom's post about the mousey - Moms Do NOT like dead critters for presents :wink:

I'd be afraid of disease also, Sue we have had coyotes in our neighborhood once (that we know of) about 7 years ago, we've seen them out on the main road before also.

·
Registered
459 Posts
We have a large hawk in our neighborhood that does that to bunnies, *****, squirrels etc. When Lucy was a pup we had to be careful. It would swoop down and screech at her if we were out in the field.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We live in the city - a Chicago suburb - so I'd be surprised if there were coyotes around. There is a forest preserve about a mile away so I suppose its possible.

Charlie has found mice and one a large dead squirrel in our backyard even but never one that had obviously been attacked. When he finds one already dead, I worry that they were poisoned and definitely do not want those animals in his mouth.

I guess I'll just be keeping a close eye on what he is sniffing for awhile. Time for our morning walk! :shock:

Deb

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sounds to me like a wild animal, even in Chicago. We have them all over in Kansas City. You hear all the time about people's small dogs being carried off the porch by a mountail lion or coyote. That's why we have a fenced in back yard.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Coyotes can adapt to city, suburbs, where ever the food is.
We have had a few incidents where they were brazen enough to grab a little dog right off the end of the owners leash. Cats that roam are caught all the time, which is one reason that I do not believe in letting cats roam free, and I live in suburbia.
We hear them at night howling and Denver barks back.
I work at a golf course and first thing in the morning you can see them roaming the course. I live 6 minutes away from work.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Cinsmom said:
Sounds to me like a wild animal, even in Chicago. We have them all over in Kansas City. You hear all the time about people's small dogs being carried off the porch by a mountail lion or coyote. That's why we have a fenced in back yard.
We have black bears and coyotes around here. We also have some hawks that hoover around here, lots of neighbors have bird feeders and the hawks come in for the birds

We are also fenced but I'm still leary as those predatory animals can go over a fence like they aren't there - had a bear a few miles from here 2 summers ago and it was hoping fences like they were 2 inches high :shock:

I grew up in upstate NY and spent a lot of summer time at my Aunt & U's camp on lake champlain - never heard or saw a Coyote

First time I heard one, we were camping in the mountains in Colorado - national preserve and it was first night and I could hear them, I swore they were standing outside the tent - BIL laughed and said they were at least 2 miles away, which in my opinion was to da*& close ! Such an Eeriee sound.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We have coyotes so often, Cinnamon doesn't even blink when she hears them now. Great horned owls still get her attention now and again, but I do know the fence is purely a suggestion to most animals. It does seem to work against the coyotes though. I've yet to see one of these jump the 5 ft fence.

I've not personally seen a mountain lion or a bear. We had a wolf killed out in the road right by our drive a couple of years ago. People would drive by to get pictures of it before it was hauled away by someone. Had a family with a truck load of kids park in our drive, get out and look at it. Can you say field trip?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
ewwwwwwwww - a trip to look at a dead animal :shock:

I worry about the critters more this year - it's been so hot and dry and all our water levels are way down so they are moving around more looking for fresh water

1 - 13 of 13 Posts