Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a lurker since we adopted Charlie in May and officially joined today. It's good to feel like one of the gang. :D

Charlie is a 7 month old Australian labradoodle. He started out solid black but has some silver sprinkled along his back. He also has brown spots on the back of his paws and some gorgeous brown eyes.

In a past life, we had a standard poodle. We knew we wanted a non-shedder but a "different" dog. Who knew just how much different a doodle could be? Charlie is Mr. Energy. He loves long walks and could play for hours even if he's tired. I find myself arranging play dates with other neighborhood dogs. He is a big chewer and is very mouthy in general.

My youngest son started college in the fall so we would be empty nesters if it weren't for our doodle. My daughter makes fun of the play dates and the fact that I bake salmon cookies for Charlie. But he is the sweetest thing and a wonderful companion.

Deb

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Would you like to share some recipes? I've got a doodle b'day coming up and would like to make some homemade treats!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Congatuation on your somewhat new doodle! And a warm welcome to you and Charlie!!! From what I can see in your avata, Charlie looks like a handsome. But since you've been lurking for awile, you already know that DEMANDING more pics, is--as we see it--our right of passage!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Welcome Deb and Charlie to the 'gang'!!!! :wink: BUT....you KNOW by now that we need to see pics of Charlie....hahaha...so whatchya waitin for??? Cause we're waitin for him!!! :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll work on the pictures. It's not easy to get a good pic of a black dog. His features tend to disappear. :D

Mary, I used the recipes on this site:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/moredogtreatrecipes.htm

I've tried the Somethin Fishy and Cheesy recipes. The Cheesy dough was a bit sticky and difficult to work with. The Fishy one was easy. I used a 10 oz can of salmon that had been sitting in my pantry for quite awhile. I also added garlic to ward off fleas and ground flaxseed for the omega3s. I didn't have many seeds or fresh parsley and didn't use a food processor. :lol: I guess I didn't follow the recipe too closely! Anyway, they turned out really well and was a nice change for Charlie. He doesn't otherwise get much fish. Here's my revised version:

I N G R E D I E N T S
1 10 oz can of salmon
1/4 cup dried parsely
2 cloves minced garlic
3 eggs
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2 cups (or more as needed) whole wheat flour

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Preheat oven to 375°F
Spray Cookie Sheet with cooking spray oil

Put all ingredients, except flour, into a mixer on medium till well combined. Add flour until blended and the mixture forms into a stiff dough using extra flour as needed.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and kneed for about 1 minute. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/4". Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake treats for about 30 minutes or until firm and nicely browned. Cool treats on a wire rack.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Deb

G

·
Welcome Charlie and Deb! He is a beauty!!! My DD will be heading to school next Fall, any hints or tips? :lol: I'm glad Charlie is there to keep you in hugs and kisses and laughter!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi DEB glad you stopped lurking long enough to join us!! :wink: and
your Charlie is a doll!!!

we do however need to see MORE PICS please!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome fellow Newbie and lurker!
Charlie looks like a sweetheart. I hear you - it is really hard to take great photos of black pups, all their features seem to merge together.
I'm definitely going to try your Salmon cookies they sound great, I bet my DD would love them !! :roll:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Welcome! It's always great to add more doodle lovers to the clan.
Charlie is a handsome dood!

With my limited experience with both digital camera and black doodles, I've found that closeups with a flash really help get more contrast to help with definition. Pics taken from any distance look almost like a silhouette.
It's worth a try at least! We'd love to see more of him!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome Deb and Charlie! Most of us were lurkers to some degree before joining. Nice to have you aboard!! We will be watching for pics.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By popular demand, I will attempt to post Charlie's pictures. He got a haircut about a week ago so has been alot wilder and fluffier in the past. He basically has silky soft poodle hair. I don't know if it will get coarser but right now he feels like a chenille sweater.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh he's so cute! I do love the scruffy doodle look, but I've come to love the shorter look too. Dex will be getting a similar short cut very very soon. Welcome :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhhhh he is sooooooooooo cute!!! love his cut!! :D

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Charlie, you are one handsome Dood!!!!! (and look vaguely familiar? hahahahaha) Thanks for posting his pic!!! :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Deb....what a cutie!! Miko has the same coat and I keep her cut short because she's like a 4-legged swifter duster!! :shock: At 14 months, she still feels soft, soft, soft....unless she's dirty, dirty, dirty! :wink:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Deb ... Thanks so much for the recipes. It's always nice to try one that has been proven tasty! And thank you for the pictures! Ebbe was a pure black pup and it feels as if any picture we took was just a black blur ... She's now wearing a coat of many colors and is much easier to see in photos.

Again, Welcome

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again, everyone, for all the kind words and the welcome. I only wish Charlie could play with all our new friends!

Deb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts