Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thanks everyone for all the thoughts and advice. I have been keeping an eye on Charley and have decided that his pain is coming from his rump area. I have contacted the breeder I got him from and he tells me that he has never had a dog with hip dysplasia. He also trold me that his pups all weigh between 65-85 pounds and some as high as 90. My vet told me that Charley is too heavy, he weighs 70 pounds at 7 months. He did gain alot after his neutering, about 12 pounds in 5 weeks. He now is not eating all his food, first time ever. Not sure if this is just slowing down because of age, or, what. I need advice. Does he seem too heavy, how much food do doodles eat. He is eating 5 cups of large breed puppy food a day. I have tried to pull his leg out to the back, as instructed at a web site for hip dysplasia and he had no pain. He Runs, walks, plays, just won't jump with out crying. I wonder if this is because of the weight he has gained. If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know. Thanks for all you help. Charleys' Mom

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Charley is definately eating too much. My males get 1 3/4 - 2 cups twice a day. Just because a breeder hasn't had a problem with HD doesn't mean there will never be a problem. I would take him to the vet and have x-rays done. Obviously there is something going on in Charley's back end and the sooner you have it looked at, the sooner Charley will hopefully be out of pain.

Take care and good luck :)

G

·
Hi Charleys Mom,
What brand of food are you feeding? If it is a supermarket brand, it might be best to switch to a higher quality brand. The higher quality brands are denser, so Charley will feel fuller faster and will get his nutrients without all the extra 'filler' calories.
I would not 'free feed'.
Next, I believe there is a debate about whether Large Breed puppy food can cause growth problems. I found a technical article on the web that explains it well:
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html
Basically, it states that if you over supplement with Calcium (the worst thing you could do), or calories (the second worst), or Protein, it can leesd to skeletal problems. So maybe large breed food is not the way to go.
I would request a hip xray from your vet.
Hip Dysplasia can show up in puppies even when a breeder has never encountered it before.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my vets have always advised me to stop puppy food at 6 months old for my labradoodles in the 45-55 pound range. A great dane NEVER eats puppy food. I am not a vet, but I would get him off puppy food immediately. Puppy food has a lot of protein and it makes the bones grow too fast in large breed dogs, dont let large breed puppy food fool you.

I would do as di said and have his hips xrayd, but please talk to large breed dog owners and/or a knowlegable vet about his diet.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You have already been given some great advice...so I will only supplement it here...but I am not prepared to say how much your dog should be eating. Much of that depends on his size (an active, healthy 70 lb Labradoodle will need more food than a 50 lb Labradoodle and an active dog, of course, needs more than an inactive one.)
I suspect that since Charley hurts at times, his activity level has declined. Perhaps not to a point where you would normally notice, but if he hurts he will be more careful.
I totally agree that you need to look at the type of food you are feeding. Store brands are usually loaded with fillers and sometimes even sugar...not to mention "artificial" sources of neutrients.
I believe that feeding "large breed" puppy food helps to prevent too many calories too soon and will limit growth. Still, at 6 months pups can safely be eating adult food.
Check the table scraps...I know how hard that can be (we have been guilty of this too many times, I am sorry to admit.)
I'd suggest cutting back the calories, checking quality of food, feeding only two meals a day (cut out the puppy third meal) and increasing the activity level (but only if it is safe, under his painful circumstances.)
I don't believe that a "lay person" can determine hip problems by manipulation of the leg...so, I suggest that you get the vet's opinion.
Also, if this is HD, your breeder will require a diagnosis...usually within a reasonable time. Your breeder may consider Charley's weight or quick growth a factor in the problem and it could impact the warranty...so read your health warranty to see if there are restrictions.
Finally, ask your breeder for verification of hip testing for the parents. While it is true that HD can happen even if the parent's hips are good (a recessive gene can crop up) ... if no testing has been done, this might become an issue for you.
The most important reason to get a vet diagnosis is to get Charley the help he needs...he may not have HD...it may be something totally unrelated.
I hope that you are able to get Charley feeling better. I am sorry that he is suffering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts