Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Socrates is about 12-13 weeks now and regardless of when I put him in his crate to sleep at night (anywhere between 9pm-11pm) he is up and ready at 4:30am-5am for food and to be up the rest of the day (he will nap around 8am-9am however). What is the best way to get him to sleep in a bit more? Say maybe an extra hour or two? He goes absolutley crazy and jumps around the crate and brushes his paws against the gate making the loudest possible noises so it's almost impossible to ignore it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
What time do you feed him at night? Maybe try a later dinner or a snack before bed. Our two 7-1/2 months and 4-1/2 months old, use to do the same but they began to out grow it in the last month or so. We started by letting them out to go potty and then back to bed, for an hour or two. Now they usually sleep till 5:45 or 6 sometimes later. Good luck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yea, this is one of those things Cesar talked about, but never explained how to do. He says, "Don't let your dog determine what time you get up", but never tells us HOW to keep that from happening. My vet told me to gradually extend the time I get him out. In other words, even though HE is up and making all kids of noise, let him stay in there a little bit longer every day until he it is a decent time to get up. It could take weeks. She said their internal clocks are amazing and will soon learn and adjust, and ultimately be YOUR alarm clock right on time. My 13 week old 'gets up' about 6:30, but is usually content until about 7-7:15 before he begins to really want out. That is an acceptable time for me, so that is o.k...BUT it took us a while to get there. Like having a newborn, there is no sleeping in. Good Luck and let us know how it is going.
Leslie

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kenai (13 weeks) used to wake up at 4-5:00. We took her outside to go potty, then put her right back in the crate until we were ready to get up. You will endure several days of barking, whining, crying, etc. until your pup learns the family's schedule. Then, when you are ready to get up, feed her breakfast.

Now, Kenai is quiet in her crate until we get up at 6:00 on weekdays. Last weekend she was still quiet at 9:00 when we got up. Yippee!!

G

·
Hi guys! So it's okay to have a work week schedule and a weekend schedule? I've been letting Boyd out like clock work at 6:00 in the morning EVERY DAY b/c I thought he had to be on the same schedule every day. What I wouldn't give to sleep in with my husband on the weekends!!! Let me know!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a navy blue sheet over Kenai's crate, which keeps the distractions to a minimum after the sun comes up on weekends. She didn't mind staying in her crate until we woke up at 9:00 last weekend. You definitely should try it...it's a nice treat for us humans! I think the pups are very adaptable at this age. Our previous dog was the same way in terms of flexible wake up times.

G

·
Thanks! I will try that! I don't put anything over Boyd's crate b/c the one time I did he had pulled the towel mostly through the top of the wire crate!! However, I will try putting a sheet over the crate at night and see if I can get a few extra zzzzs with the hubbie! :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts