Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were the only ones to show up for the CGC class so it was canceled however the instructor was kind enough to spend an hour with Renee and Abby going through a test exam. She went through all 10 behaviors and much to my surprise Abby and Renee pretty muched Aced it :D We did not have another dog for that behavior but in the other 9 she passed! So we will continue working with her on these 10 behaviors and take the test at the next dog show that offers it. The instructor was quite good and really knows her stuff. She admitted that Abby really does not need the class if we just practice a lot. One of things she mentioned that most of her beginning training classes are filled with folks that just want their pet housebroken and not much more so the CGC class does not often fill up :shock:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
That is great. And sad you couldn't get thru the class. But that is great they did so well. :D :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
That had to be disappointing for you! I'm sorry. I would've been really sad if that had happened to us.
Well, one good thing is you're pretty sure they'll pass next time you get a chance!
WOW! A CGC class where people try to housebreak dogs and not much more! :shock: That is shocking!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I'd revive this thread so folks could weigh in on the importance of CGC training. Personally I think that basic OB is not enough. If you look at the CGC requirements http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm These standards should be applied to all companion dogs. When I was involved with pure breeds (golden) I competed in OB rather than confirmation because I wanted to prove the breed was bidable, intelligent and worthy.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MTD i am going to agree with you that CGC training is invaluable
and pormotes better bonding and behaviour from your dog.

As well as helps your dog adjust to new sounds, situations etc with more ease rather than excitement etc.

OB training is a great way to start training, then keeping up with daily training is even better but CGC also i'd say teaches "good manners" beyond just basic obedience.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I absolutely KNOW that CGC training is a MUST!!! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts