Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Do any of you have cats? My puppy is not arriving for quite awhile March 2007,and I currently have nine cats(yes nine)

So I am just wondering how do your puppies or dogs get along with cats?
My female cats like to challenge dogs and some of my males just hide and one always has lots of kisses for any animal that comes to my home.

I will be able to seperate my cats from the puppy (for his safety) but I hope to make this one big happy family.

Blueteal

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Our dogs loved cats and saw them as playmates...but the cats had other ideas...after a few fierce rejections from the neighborhood cats, my dogs learned that they need to bark at them and chase them.
Of the families that I have seen (with cats and dogs together) they usually have to have a few fights (hopefully neither gets really hurt) and then they learn to give each other a wide path! Good luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Blueteal,
My cat HATES my dog and hisses at him every time he just walks by and he insists on getting as close to her as possible and barks and jumps up and down when she takes a swipe at him. She can even chase him into a corner if he gets to brazen. They get along, well...like cats and dogs!

However, my sister had 2 6-toed Hemingway cats that loved to cuddle and play with her female chocolate Labrador Retriever. It was so sweet! A peaceable little kingdom! And probably not the norm, but you never know...maybe yours can get along? Good Luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
We have two doods and two cats. The cats have no use whatsoever for the doods, except occassionally we catch them watching the pups like they find them entertaining. The doods are clueless - they think everyone loves them all the time and can't imagine why the cats aren't snuggling and petting them like everyone else does! It usually takes a reminder now and then that a cat paw is swift and sure, but my doods don't even get their feelings hurt they just go find someone else to love. It'll work out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - We have 2 dogs, 3 cats and Ziggy (16 week old Doodle) - the cats could care less about Ziggy and he seems to be only slightly interested in them. My older dogs 5 and 4 1/2 years old sleep in my bed with the cats and don't chase them as much as they used to - No one has ever gotten hurt. It will take a little bit of time but before you know it everyone will get along and become one happy animal family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts