Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see, we are making headway in our efforts to get Willow the Labradoodle to get along with Callie the Cat. Callie's austere nature means that this cat will likely not play with Willow, something we are sure Willow is interested in. If anything, right now Willow will still express interest in the cat, and is rebuffed each time. We are trying to discourage this.

Right now, the cat, as was the case with our old dog, is a bit ornery and hisses/bats at the dog when she has a mind to. She is none too friendly with people, either. She IS declawed in front.

To be sure, the two will almost certainly never wind up like the cat and dog in http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 2659.ece...

The TimesJanuary 10, 2008

Dog retrieves his best friend - a cat buried in the garden
Russell Jenkins
A pet dog missed the family's dead cat so much that he dug up his grave and brought the body back into the house.

When Oscar's owners woke up the next morning they discovered the dog curled up beside Arthur, the late cat, in his basket.

His owners, Robert Bell, 73, and his wife, Mavis, of Wigan, Greater Manchester, believe that the dog had licked the cat clean before falling asleep.

Mr Bell said that the two pets were constant companions. Arthur, who was a large cat, used to help Oscar to climb on to the sofa.

Oscar, an 18-month-old Lancashire Heeler, had watched Mr Bell dig a grave in the garden and then lower the cat into the hole.Mr Bell said: "He had managed to climb out through the cat flap in the night, obviously with the intent to get Arthur back. Bearing in mind that Arthur was a huge cat, Oscar must have used all the strength he could muster.

"Then he pulled him into the basket and went to sleep next to him. Arthur's coat was gleaming white. Oscar had obviously licked him clean. It must have taken him nearly all night."

Arthur is now reburied in a secure grave. And Oscar has a new playmate, a kitten called Limpet.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Funny! I just posted this same article in General Chat awhile ago.

Just hope for a truce between Callie and Willow. At least you all can live in peace. I'm impressed that Willow can resist!

Deb

·
Registered
75 Posts
When Noodle first met our cats we had a similar situation.

She thought they were fun play toys and they thought she was evil ... but ... after a couple weeks and a scratched nose or two, they were all getting along beautifully.

I doubt they will ever play together, but they can at least walk past each other without threatening to attack or (god forbid) play with each other wihch I think is the cats biggest fear in this whole situation.

:)

I think giving them time to work it out is the best solution and it sounds like Willow is on the right track with Callie! You're on your way to a peaceful home!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
winderdoodle said:
When Noodle first met our cats we had a similar situation.

She thought they were fun play toys and they thought she was evil ... but ... after a couple weeks and a scratched nose or two, they were all getting along beautifully.
Our situation is slightly different. Willow thinks the cat is a fun toy to play with. THE CAT IS DEFINITELY EVIL.

Even a close friend of mine who is a real cat afficianado feels Callie has one of the most foul personalities he has seen in a feline.

I think we are pointed in the right direction though ...

G

·
My Morgan is the devil cat. She only likes me and my Dad. She will cuddle with my friends if I am gone for more than a day. They come in and feed her and if she feels like it she will let them pet her. Maya is used to Morgan and doesn't care if Morgan hisses or swats her. Ava (friend's dog--choc lab) is deathly scared of the cat. She will cower in the corner and Morgan knows it so she hisses and meows louder everytime she sees Ava. BTW Ava is at least 70 lbs Morgs is 9 lbs. It is funny to watch

·
Registered
77 Posts
thats adorable! when my mom was little a cat had kittens under there deck so all the kids in the neighbor hood started to pet the kittens. they didnt know that when you pet the kittens the mom runs away! so the mommy cat ran away and they took the kitens into there house. they fed them milk and all of them but two died. there dog had acted like the mom the whole time and had the kittens arround him the whole time. my mom has a picture of the dog laying on the ground with the kittens crawling all over him! its adorable. i wonder how guinness would be with 7 kittens all over him :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Our big fat cat, Humphrey, was terrorized by our first doodle, Hannah. He learned to stay out of the way. When Hannah died and we got Tanner, Humphrey was still very careful. Now that they have lived together for a year, Humphrey is spending more and more time around Tanner by choice. He waits for him to return from his walks, sleeps in a chair in the family room instead of on his perch. Tanner still tries to hump Humphrey occasionally but mostly they are becoming pals. Humphrey used to wash my little terrier mix so maybe he will start washing Tanner..who knows :roll:

·
Registered
177 Posts
we're very lucky that Bella loves the kittens :D

They wind her up something shocking, but sometimes they do let her join in with their game of chase.

Bella was 1+half when we got the kittens and you've never seen such an excited doodle! We left the box on the carpet and let bella watch them coming out, she ran round so excitedly and couldn't believe her luck when the 2nd one came out of the box! Kittens will be a year old next week so are calming down a bit.

Bella doesn't mind being teased by them, sometimes she goes up and flips them over with her nose in revenge :D

Just leave them to it is my advice, they'll find their own levels of contact :wink:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We absolutely lucked out with our cat. Dh rescued him so we had no idea what his history with dogs was... but he's made friends with all of our dogs and pups. You can see by the photos that the cat has no fear of the pups so they've gotten used to hanging out with him from a very young age. They're so used to his mellow ways that they might be in for a big surprise if cats in their new homes aren't as friendly. LOL

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I miss having a Cat.

Vanessa a friend of ours had a persian cat for years that terrorized anyone who dared enter their home! She even scared grown men hahhaa
and repairmen....well let's say a plumber's crack got cracked a little more before they left her house hahhaaaaaaaaaaaa
get this , cat's name: Fluffy! :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts