Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great resource this forum is!

I wonder if anyone has experience with cats and 'doods. My dear puppy Milo is almost 10 months old now and I'd like to adopt a cat. I know that he interacts well with them, because he loves visiting my neighbor's house, which she shares with 8 cats (we started calling it "Disneyland" because he gets so excited to go there). He's respectful of them and heeds any hisses as warnings :)

But how do I pick a cat who I know is comfortable with *him*? Take him to adoption fairs and see how they get along?

Also, as a branch of this question, I wonder if it'll make him more comfortable to have another animal in the house when I'm away? Has anyone added a cat to a 'dood house? Jealousy issues?

Many thanks,
Caroline

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Caroline and welcome to the board!

I know nothing of cats and Doodles but I just wanted to say Hello! I am fairly new here myself. I have had my doodle for a little over two months and this place is a plethera of information! Everyone is so helpful and I am sure you will have all kinds of advice soon!

Sue and her doodle Denver have 9 cats :shock: I beleive so I am sure she will have all kinds of info for ya!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Caroline
Welcome to Doodleland

The easy answer is to get a kitten, as it will grow with your
puppy and they should become great friends.
However I applaud the idea of adopting a cat as they are harder to place than kittens. The tricky part is getting a cat that is used to doggies
and at ten months old your puppy will be pretty much in the face of the
cat. I would try to adopt a very young cat, that has been around dogs
if possible. Talk to the shelters and hopefully they give you honest answers about the cat's experiences with dogs. Some shelters have
allowed to have a meet and greet with dog and cat, so that is an option.
Denver was a just shy of 8 weeks old when I introduced him to nine cats
and for the most part it has really worked out well. He has a very close cat buddy and indifferent cat buddies and one, sometimes two that still smack him. He loves them all, and still kisses the cat that he knows will smack him every day :roll:
Good luck searching for your new kitty and ask questions anytime.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You have had great advice from Sue (she is the feline expert on this forum). We have an older cat, younger doodle....it would be better if our cat were a kitten and if I were you, that is what I would get. I would also look for a cat that has a "reaching out personality". When I picked out Humphrey, he was putting his little paw out saying, pick me. I could tell by his actions that he would be a very loving, personable cat.

Here they are in our kitchen while my husband is making his lunch

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My husband rescued an adult male cat that had been dumped at the terminal of the trucking company he drives out of. So obviously we had no idea of his history or personality other than he was friendly and affectionate to dh.

He brought him home to live with Moses who was about 8 months old at the time and they were instant friends. We absolutely lucked out! They will eat together, sleep cuddled up, and have no animosity between them.

What's really cute is to see the cat when the puppies come in. He comes over and joins them and lets them lick on him and crawl on him. Once they start chewing his ears he gets up and leaves though... he does have his limits! I like that the pups are learning about cats so young. Hopefully they will be better with them later as a result.

Good luck! I hope it works as well for you!

G

·
I think this is as much as I can hope for.....Indifference from both parties. I have never really had an issue with Maya chasing Morgan (cat) but Maya will bring Morgan her toys and bark at her. Haven't got a pic of that yet!!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I think this is as much as I can hope for.....Indifference from both parties.
And that is a wonderful thing..............
as they get along, by showing tolerance. :wink: :wink:
Beautiful picture...................

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Heather that pic is adorable !!!! poor doodle wants to play with Morgan

G

·
Yeah she does but she leaves the cat alone. She got swated a couple times when she was younger and now has respect for the cat. (cat is declawed so it was more hurt pride than physical). I'm glad Maya is good with the cat. I'd feel bad for Morgan if she was constantly getting chased.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts