Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to see A Rod Stewart concert the other night - switched purses - when we came home Charlie had opened the advil that was in my purse tightly closed, and up on a high shelf (not sure how he managed to get it)
opened it without teeth marks on the childproof bottle.

Charlie spent a day and a half vomiting and a night and day at the vets receiving intrevenous liquids to clean out his liver and Kidneys - he had started kidney failure - The vet acted quickly and correctly flushing out his system and watching his bun levels - he has 1 more day to spend with the vet getting more intrevenous liquids and should then be ok since he is again eating normally.

Scared - you bet - we lucked out but my house is now completely dog proof beyond what I ever would have thought was necessary even for a Doodle!

Of course I have offers for Charlie - his behavior was perfect I guess - obeying every command, and my vet would love to trade my doodle for his (they have two of their own) He even had run of the vets and office since he was so good - They love having him come in but not for this reason and were so loving to him (as they are with all of their patients)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
What a terrifying experience!!!! I'm sooo. glad that Charlie is ok...he's is so handsome! Right after I log off, I'm going to make a run thru the house to make sure Raleigh hasn't access to any meds...we think they can't reach, but somehow they find a way....Raleigh is now able to 'counter surf' quite easily, because he is very tall! All our meds are immediately goinginto the upper cabinets! Thanks for sharing this story and warning....again, I'm glad that everything turned out ok! :D
Kathie, Raleigh and Molly

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
So very glad that Charlie is ok it has made me double check all our medicine stuff and make sure it is safer.

Thank you for posting this warning.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DreamDog...i am so glad Charlie is now OK!!! that must have been such a horrible scare. And we too puppyproof here on a weekly basis due to one maintence medication that could have bad effects on our doodles. But thanks for reminding us all that the unexpected can happen at any time and we really should continuously check our house for doodle safety.

hugs to you and Charlie, he's absolutely gorgeous!!! wow!!! with the cutest nose too!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Glad Charlie's going to be alright. It does make you think twice! Jonah got that book off a 5' tall shelf. I used to keep my bottle of alleve that I take to work with me on that shelf. Glad I ran out. I'm also going to recheck before I leave for work tomorrow!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
how about keeping meds and rx's in a drawer? or kitchen cabinet?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all and I am glad everyone is checking their meds.

All other meds are kkept in a tall kitchen cabinet and then in individual containers for each person but the ones in my purse I never thought of before so now we will be very vigilant. Purse has a new shelf in a room no animals are allowed or able to get to when I come in the door.

Yoy! (my grams word for "oh my goodness" I guess) :wink:

G

·
Welcome Home Charlie!!!!
Stop scaring your Mommy like that!
You are so adorable you could get away with anything. :lol:
Glad you are eating and feeling better.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thank goodness you came home when you did! I am so glad that Charlie is okay...we had a pill situation once too, but the dogs only got the lid off and chewed on the bottle...still, we were not sure so we took two of the dogs to the vet...cost us plenty...now we are much more aware...it is such a scary thing to have happen...but thankfully your story and mine turned out okay in the end.
For those of you wondering, I like Ann Marie's suggestion, in a drawer is best...we live in earthquake country...wouldn't take much to knock pills off of a shelf and onto the floor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a similar scare with Fred when he was a puppy. I used to keep some Tylenol in a small baggie in my purse--i would just refill from my bottle of 500 when needed. fred loves to check bags--usually just for pens--but one night he got the bag of pills. I found it all chewed up on my bed with a bunch of the pills with the the hard coating licked off. I didn't think he had eaten any, given the number of spit out pills, but we had to stay up most of the night watching to make sure he didn't get sick. My house if more baby-proofed now than it was when my kids were babies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts