Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heart murmurs are simple enough to explain YET most of the younger (Baby Docs) and non Cardiologists are not very experienced at Ascultation (listening with steth) or explaining what they are hearing. It's best to get a second opinion from a cardiologist who is TRAINED to listen to the nuances of blood flow. Heart murmur is the sound of inappropriate blood flow or turbulent flow. It could come from a leaky heart valve (4 valves Aortic,Mitral,Tricuspid,Pulmonic) or a hole such as a septal defect (ASD or VSD,septum divides the chambers atrial on top and ventricular below). A PDA is patent ductus arteriosus which is a remant of fetal circulation and VERY COMMON in newborns. They usually close within 3 days of birth. When given a scale such as 3/6 it usually refers to stenosis (aortic). The aorta is the vessel which carries the oxygenated blood to the body. Many murmurs are physiologic (normal) and many more benign. The test of choice is the Echocardiogram. I hope this helps. Any questions?...mtd/Cardiac Sonographer

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thank you MTD!!!
and for me, i did like reading that
as my EX has IHSS and AF too............my kids have a 50/50 shot of inheriting the IHSS that won't show up till their early 20's or older

i've gotten to watch sonagrams done on the heart........it's really neat!

THUS why a heart murmur was important for us to watch in my kids
they outgrew it luckily but we now have to do baseline testing every few years

now with a dog, i'd be just as concerned if they didn't outgrow it quickly
and have baseline testing done too

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Annmarie! IHSS is a form of stenosis hence the murmur. Due to Asymetrical thickening of the Ventricular septum the canal (infindibular)that leads to the Aortic valve becomes narrowed or stenosed creating an ejection murmur. In the old days the only choice was surgery and beta blockers nowadays there are many more choices! Having baseline Echos is the way to go with the kids so they have something to compare studies done later in life with...best m

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
exactly! which is why my kids now have baselines done
and i pray they won't inherit this problem

and i also feel for anyone with a dog with a heart murmur
you still worry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts