Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a problem with Tuesday since she started riding in the back of our 4-runner. (Since she was about 7-8 months old)
She will whine and pace in anticipation of her walk. If I drop the back seats down so that she can sit behind me and rest her head on my shoulder, she is generally fine. She is usually fine on the way back home.
The time I took her on a 4 hr. trip, she did this for the first 45 min. then layed down. She got up a couple times after that but they were real short episodes.
Marley is great...he will just lay down or stick his nose out the window & enjoy the wind. I do not what him picking up this bad habit!
Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this?
Has anyone tried & can reccomend one of the herbal remedy's they sell for this that I could use on the long trips??
I have let this go way too long & it really needs to be dealt with. :cry: :oops:

·
Registered
156 Posts
It could be worse you could have a 60 LB doodle THINKING he can sit on your lap whether you are in the passenger seat OR driving :lol: In the long run i want him to learn to stay in the back however for now we neeeed to get him one of those gates so he can't pop up front. He will even go as far as to squeeze and sit in between both boys car seats and with a britax car seat there is not much seat space in between :?

Bachs Rescue Remedy should do the trick however for your doodle. You can get either spray or drops.

Michele

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our BO BO gets car sick. Every visit to the vet or any where over 5 miles and BLAH!. You can start to see him drool and that is the que to pull over. :lol:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie used to get car sick and our vet recommended dramamine. (The dose is one pill for a 50 pound dog.)

It's been a long time since he's actually vomited or done the drooling thing but he is still really anxious in the car. He MUST sit directly behind the driver and next to the window. He rarely sits down. He does, however, like the window open a bit with his nose out.

I wish I had a solution since we have a long car trip coming out this summer. Why can't he lie down and sleep like a normal dog??!! BTW, while the dramamine would probably knock me out, Charlie doesn't even appear a bit sleepy when given it.

Deb

·
Registered
156 Posts
One of the best herbs for nausea of any kind is ginger - be it a couple of ginger snap cookies, ginger ale (provided it contains real ginger), crystallized ginger, or a 250-500 mg capsule of powdered ginger. Just give it about 30 minutes before any car trip.

Rescue Remedy can be given just a few drops on a small treat. This is a Bach Flower Remedy. It tends to calm down an animal but doesn't make them dopey like drugs do. Give about 4 drops in the mouth or ears about 10-12 hours before starting the trip, repeating every four hours or as needed. You can also spritz the car with a dilution made with spring water. Rescue Remedy is absorbed anywhere through the skin, so even rubbing some Rescue Remedy in can help calm. Rescue Remedy can also be given in drinking water - dilution does not affect its efficacy.
Peppermint is wonderful for motion sickness. A drop or two of tincture of peppermint might help or try brewing some peppermint tea and giving the animal some cooled tea. This also calms the stomach.

PetAlive makes "PetAlive EasyTravel Solution", which is a homeopathic remedy that contains a blend of ginger, peppermint, and other extracts.
http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/ ... -remedy....

There's not as much movement in the front of the car as in the back, so it might help your puppy if you let him ride in the front seat, but make sure they are in a doggy seat-belt or a small kennel that buckles into the seat. Pets, like people, are less likely to get carsick when they can watch the passing scenery.

Fresh air is good for anyone who's feeling a little carsick, including your puppy, but don't open the window enough so he can escape or get his head way out.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
never really had any problems with the dogs adjusting to car
travel..they ll either poke their nose s out of the widow for air,
nap or enjoy the scenery as we do..

Toby does get bored though and chew d up the upholstery :?
now we have a few chew toy s for him to destroy when were
traveling..

a good thing to do too..is to take potty break s every couple
hr s and let them stretch their legs as you would do..trying to
stretch a few exta mile s can end up in a messy interior..

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut never got sick till she was about 11mos old
and always manages to throw up in the side pocket of the door
no matter how many towels and/or canvas coverings laid out

so what i am now doing the past few weeks is to take her for short trips several times a week and each week make them a bit longer
it seems to be helping

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks FloridaMama.....I ordered some of the drops for our long trips!
I really need some ideas though, for local trips in town :cry:
She doesn't throw up, she is just overly excited.

·
Registered
156 Posts
you can use it for short trips too. there is also a way to make another bottle off the main one and it lasts longer. I didnt even realize it until i was reading the website. I just have usually used it straight from it. We also use the chewables in our home but for us and the kiddies when need be.

michele

1 - 10 of 10 Posts