Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone's doodle raaaaaawlph in the car? We took Bogie with us today and he was in the car in the crate for quites some time....maybe 30 miles.
He was really, really good...........but our last stop was to see my dad. There were some bumpy roads just before we got there.
Poor baby blew lunch all over.......and then I couldn' get him out of the crate because he didn't want to step in it...what a mess!
He was fine coming home and made the 30 miles without a problem, but his tummy was empty.
I've never had a dog get carsick.........what do you do? Dramamine?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut didn't start getting carsick till 2mos ago :shock: she's 13mos old now...
if she RIDES In front seat she's fine
put her in back and she decorates my truck beautifully

BEAU has to ride in backseat OR he will get sick

Max is fine...go figure! hahhaaaaaaaa

I'd like to knwo what others do too.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHA! He was in the back of the Tahoe.........hmmm.....little more shakey back there. But, that's where he'll have to be if he's in a crate until he's a BIG BOY!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Poor Bogie, one of our labs had upset tummy on trips our vet back then recommended dramamine, there are a lot of herbal ones also - I'd check with your Vet

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh...poor doodles!!

Neither of ours gets car sick (thank goodness)...I would do a search on the forum - I know others have mentioned this before. I think I remember someone saying their dog did better in the car if he had a small bit to eat before going (so the belly isn't empty)...

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner got very carsick when he was younger. We gave him Meclizine (it is the original Dramamine) about 15 minutes before car rides.

He outgrew it at about 9 months...now he just drools :wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our vet reccommended Benadryl, but it didn't seem to help. Last time we tried Dramamine and it seemed to help. Not feeding Charlie the morning before we go on a trip is a must as well. When he gets sick, it's always on the way to where we are going, usually on the way home he is so pooped that he sleeps the whole trip.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I sometimes get a little car sick when my husband drives on curvy roads (not completely sick, just a little nauseous). It helps if I make a point of looking out of the windows instead of focusing on anything inside the car. I've also read that if someone is feeling seasick, they are supposed to focus on the horizon. So it would make sense that dogs are more likely to get carsick if they are crated. Using the car harness seems like a safe solution. This would keep the dog in one spot, but still allow him to see outside.

(I've even seen little doggy booster seats for small dogs! :D :D :D )

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon hasn't gotten car sick, but I had a German Shepard do it. We had a Mazda 626 stick shift at the time and the dog rode in the front. Now that was a real eye opener for people!

I've heard that ginger helps people, but not sure if it would help dogs.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie gets carsick. I'm slowly working on longer rides to get him used to them. He's fine on short trips but didn't do well on the expressway. Unfortunately, with the price of gas, I really don't want to just drive around the highways for his benefit. :roll:

We have a big trip planned this summer so I may have to give benadryl or dramamine a test run. I suspect the benadryl just puts them to sleep which isn't such a bad thing.

Annie, that drooling is a sign of carsickness!

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bogie had eaten about 15 minutes before we left. But he didn't rrawlph for 3 hours into the ride and all the stops we made.
We're seeing the vet tomorrow.........I'll see what he recommends. I really want to take him everywhere.....even my office................so I need to make sure he'll be ok.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
My problem is i don't want to give our doodles any drugs etc for drooling as we take SHORT car rides
and I wonder if they'll get better now that i figured out who can sit where and barely drool now and NOT vomit either

LINDA........let me know what your vet suggests for curiosity sake, thanks

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
awh...poor doodles!!

Neither of ours gets car sick (thank goodness)...I would do a search on the forum - I know others have mentioned this before. I think I remember someone saying their dog did better in the car if he had a small bit to eat before going (so the belly isn't empty)...
This was us... Sandy gets carsick if he gets in the car on an empty stomach. If he gets in the car any more than 2-3 hours after eating I have to give him some kibble first, or he'll get sick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts