Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old Labradoodle named Ryder. Both me and my boyfriends family live about a half hour away and everytime we take ryder into the car to visit he gets sick and drools alot. I have asked my vet what to do and he suggested Childrens gravol the first time I spoke to him and Anti-anxiety drops the second time, both didnt work for him. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Someone on one of the forums says that she gives her dog gingersnap cookies before a car ride and it works. Worth a try :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
bella gets awful car sick as well.

We're trying to help her overcome it by making sure that after every trip there is something nice waiting for her.

Heathers sometimes collects me from the station and brings bella for the short ride, she's so happy to see me that she doesn't puke on the way home. Trying to make her see that car journeys are good and lead to fun.

Maybe she's never going to like car rides :(

We can't try the gingersnap cookies because of her total exclusion diet.

Just got to hope in our case that it improves as she gets older

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ginger is available in pill form from health food and drugstores. You could try splitting open a pill and sprinkling some on the dog's food before a car trip. Or if your dog will eat anything (like mine) you could chop some fresh ginger up and give her that. Ginger is very effective for motion sickness and nausea and is completely natural. You can also steep some fresh ginger in boiling water to make a tea, then let it cool and pour it over the dog's food.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have 2 dogs that get car sick. My vet told me to try Hyland's Motion Sickness tablets...they are sold online or in most stores (but the packaging is pretty hard to find.) It is a natural product, you just put it in the dog's cheek to dissolve. Works wonders for us! The dogs out grew the sickness...I hope that Ryder does too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sawyer does not get carsick, but he did get seasick yesterday after a boat ride. I think it may have had more to do with him insisting on licking up salt water! :roll:
I like the ginger snap idea.

G

·
When Odie was a pup he got really car sick especially if he could see out the window. All the cars, trucks & other things whizzing by seemed to overwhelm & stress him out more & that made his vomiting worse. I kept him facing away from the window or bettter yet, on my bare feet & a soft old towel on the floor of the car so he could snuggle up & not see anything outside the car & that helped greatly. Also, lots & lots of short trips around our neighborhood helped to de-sensitize him. He outgrew it after a few months & now can ride for hours without the slightest problem.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks sooo much for all the great tips...Its also good to know that he may grow out of it. I just feel so bad him being so sick but my family really does love seeing him and he seems to love them to so I'm hoping well get over this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
car sickness

Wrigley is almost 4 mos old & other than our 1-hr ride home in the car from the breeder, which he did fine on, he's only been in the car 3 other times, all short trips around town. But he's puked in my minivan each time. I did not notice any drooling, & he didn't seem nervous - in fact he laid down on the floor each time. I've been trying to get him used to being in the car because we have family we sometimes visit that are 2-3 hrs away, but I hate to have him feel sick each time we go in the car. I've heard some dogs outgrow this - any idea when that may be?

·
Registered
349 Posts
dood trips

A hunter told me about this years ago...... I was desperate -- really wanted it to work so I tried it.

My only experience is with labs, but it worked -- it will be the same for my new doodle. It was back when there were stores called "7-elevens", "quick stops", etc. (Do they even exist anymore?) Let's just say you need to go get gas -- nothing more -- perfect! It's the equivalent of a "slow ride around the neighborhood and some stop signs." That's it --no more. Get in the car -- go a short distance (ride around the neighborhood 3 times, or go get gas). Then go back home -- go back inside your house and act normal. You'll feel a little silly, but dogs eventually see it as "your special time alone away from the house."

Praise and treats in your pocket (not during the ride -- before and after -- just LITTLE treats and PRAISE -- it's all about FUN). Do it twice a week for 2-3 weeks -- rides get a LITTLE longer each time (not too much). Play some music, talk a little -- basically act "normal". They will drool the first couple of times -- but remember -- they play off your energy -- ACT NORMAL -- it's no big deal -- don't over-do the excitement of "go for a ride."

LIMIT their wandering "space" to back seat (if not an SUV) or all the way in the back if you have an SUV. Two people works better the FIRST ride. They can more easily calmly praise and help YOU to also "act normal". Crack a window (no hanging out windows) -- fresh air helps their keen senses feel ok.

You do feel a little strange doing it the first couple of times because it is so short a trip, but honestly, my labs started to love it. What's not to love? Spend time going somewhere with you and get LITTLE treats before and after?

The dogs started to go outside and lay by my car if they thought I was going anywhere. They could also tell by the "smell in the air" when we were close to home.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jofi has bad car sickness. Unless she goes without food before we travel, she'll throw up whatever's in her stomach. This thread is really helpful - I'll definitely try the ginger snaps.

At 10 weeks we took her to my partner's parents and family on Christmas day (a journey of about an hour and a half)... all was well until the final turning and she pukes all over my trousers. So I end up spending Christmas wearing his mother's jogging trousers (the only ones that didn't fall down)!!!! That's a Christmas to remember!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao doesn't get sick but she doesn't like getting in. But after she is in she is fine. She even takes a nap in the van. So I don't know if it is all in her head or if she just doesn't like getting in the van.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My vet prescribed dramamine for Charlie. We tried it today. It probably helps with the car sickness but not with anxiety.

Deb

·
Registered
73 Posts
I second the frequent short trips suggestions.

Callie got violently carsick when she was a tiny puppy. Our lifestyle requires lots of driving, so she had to learn to be a car-dog, and quickly. We did this with lots and lots of little trips. Basically, we took her everywhere we could (this was also great for socialization).

We also found that making sure she didn't travel on a full stomach (feeding a couple of hours before, and perhaps a smaller meal than usual - or sometimes even just a few cookies instead of kibbles if it was really early in the morning) helped.

Though she's not yet thrilled about travel, at least she's not throwing up all over herself and her blanket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts