Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( My Doodle named Calvin is about 13 weeks old now and boy is he alot of work! Everything is going well, except that he does not like to ride in the car..I take him to parks and places he seems to enjoy once we are there, but he cries and barks the entire trip. Any tips on making this easier for him?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi...13 weeks is still pretty young, I think that your puppy will outgrow it. One of the best things for our dogs (they get car sick) is, literally, a long car trip! If you select a fairly straight route, the dog will eventually get bored and sleep...generally the fear subsides and by the end of the trip he is fine with it.

If your puppy gets car sick, putting him in the front seat is very helpful...just like it is with people, being in front is not as nauseating.

If you could use a doggie seat belt and put him in front, you might see a difference.

But, I believe that he will outgrow his complaining. It will just take time...don't try to soothe him. Put the radio on, but don't coddle him...it isn't easy, but I'd say to keep taking trips until he gets used to it.

G

·
Great tips. My Bella also got car sick. She seemed to do better with an air vent blowing on her. And like Jac said, the front seat was much better, but I worry about the air bag. And a long car trip really did seem to help alot!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...He was riding in the front seat, but was very busy and distracting to me and I felt it too dangerous...so I moved him into his crate in the back of our SUV. We take short rides to parks and fun places so he can have a positive association, but he still whines the entire way and is difficult to get out of the crate on arrival to or from our destination....We'll keep pluggin' away though. I think he will 'get used to it' and hopefull enjoy it someday. We would like to take him with us since he is a part of the family and I think it would be good for him, too.
Leslie

·
Registered
7 Posts
My doodle Penny used to hate the car. She would plant her paws on the ground and refuse to get in. We started taking her in the car once a week to go run around in the country with my mom's dog. Now she knows where she is going and gladly jumps in on her own. I think your baby will figure it out eventually...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kenai, 11 weeks old, was car sick the first several times we took her anywhere in the car. We drove to Canada and back last week, 12 hours each way. She was not sick at all on the way up, and only once on the way back, due to bumpy roads at the onset of our drive. She did settle down and sleep almost the whole trip, both ways.

We took her to puppy playgroup last night and she was just fine in the car!

I agree that your pup will probably get used to the car quickly.

Now, if we could just lick the piddling problem.....! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts