Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Brinkley has been getting car sick the last few car trips. I have tried the front seat - he vomited. Tried the back seat - no surprise he vomited. I have tried an empty stomach before the car ride - a semi full stomach - no difference. Short rides, longer rides, it doesn't matter. He still vomits. He is the "silent" vomiter. You look at him and he is fine - quiet, calm. When you open the door to let him out at the destination - there is a puddle of yuk greeting you. So I ask, do your doodles do this or have done this? He just turned 6 months yesterday. I wonder if this is something he will outgrow?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner got very car sick in the beginning. We had to give him Dramamine II which sells as Meclizine also known as Bonine. We also tried to desensitize him to riding in the car by taking him often on short rides. He does quite well now...occasionally he drools...but no more throwing up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Puddles got sick the first few times in the car, too. I think I've desensitized him by taking him on tons of short trips every day. By short trips I mean less than a mile. He has not gotten sick in weeks and we have had him in the car for up to an hour and a half! :) Good luck! Dog vomit is grosser than gross!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The day we brought Callie home from the breeder (she was 9 weeks old), we marvelled at how good she was in the car. That is, until we got to the vet for her well-puppy visit and found her absolutely COVERED in vomit. Her first procedure at the vet was an emergency bath from a couple of the vet techs, lol!

She does best if I can avoid travelling near her mealtime. Ideally, we travel early in the morning with just a cookie or two in her tummy to settle it (she's one of these doodles who vomits in the morning if she's not fed in time), then feed her when we get to wherever we're going. Most of the time now, she just falls asleep. But we too, did the short trips routine. If I was going down the block, I tossed her in the car and brought her along. Or to the grocery store, or wherever, just so she could get used to the sensation of riding in a vehicle. It still isn't her favourite place in the world, but she tolerates it, and usually doesn't get sick anymore.

Has anyone suggested baby gravol?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
we learned long ago with our shepherd..in the car we d get the dog s to
focus on us..whether teasing them with treats or a toy even talking to them would occupy them till we arrived at our destination..

after a week they d be focus d more on us than what s passing them..then soon after their nose s are out sniffing the rushing air..

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My vet prescribed Dramamine (which is not the same thing as Dramamine II and Bodine). Charlie has not had any more vomiting but he still gets stressed. He mostly stands and MUST be in the backseat by the driver's side window. :roll: He is 13 months now and it has definitely improved with age and practice.

Deb

G

·
Just like a person, Bella does MUCH better in the front seat. She has gotten better with age and now just drools a little.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas used to get sick too! So we started putting him in the car for lot's of short rides, and he does great now...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am heeding this advice cause Peanut didn't start to
decorate our backseat, side pockets of door and more till she was 12mos old...i found the front seat makes her drool but NOT vomit

Beau...we did tons of short trips and his drooling is almost nonexistant now :D

I had the attitude that Peanut is fine staying home and didn't try all the short trips with her.

and Max, he's the OH BOY OH BOY let's go MOM ....and licks the back of DAVE's head when Dave is driving hahhaaaaaa

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the advice. The collective remedy seems to be to start taking him on short - very short- trips. I can only hope this works and also that as he matures he gets better. This cleaning up after him is beyond yuk!

I will start these trips this weekend. And as big a moose as he is, he needs to be picked up and put into the car. He jumps over EVERYTHING but will not jump into the car. Maybe he's exercising his doodle genius by figuring out that when he gets in the car - that equals him getting sick??? Or in reality - maybe he is just a lazy lump...

thanks again,
christine :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts