Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently put Dexter in a soft crate when we travel in the car. He really seems to love it, but we were thinking of switching to a harness so he could look outside (and so we don't have to keep this crate in our car all the time. Any recommendations? Our trainer at Petsmart suggested the Comfort Ride Traveling Dog harness (it has soft padding on the chest strap). Thanks :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The seat belt we use for Cinnamon is hooked to a regular dog harness. The seatbelt then hooks into the car seatbelt recieving end. I don't remember what brand it is, we've had it for a while. She loves it - she can move around on the seat, laydown, sit up. She can stand up, but that's not real comfortable so she sits or lays down most of the ride - which is what I want anyway, so it works for us. Word of caution though - when she was a puppy and was still getting used to the seatbelt idea, she chewed through the first one we had when I was out at a rest stop. If you have to leave them in the car alone (to use the restroom maybe!), unbuckle the belt. It's simple to click the belt back in after you're back. That way they can move around while you're gone and won't chew their way to freedom! It's amazing how fast they can do that! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
We currently put Dexter in a soft crate when we travel in the car. He really seems to love it, but we were thinking of switching to a harness so he could look outside (and so we don't have to keep this crate in our car all the time. Any recommendations? Our trainer at Petsmart suggested the Comfort Ride Traveling Dog harness (it has soft padding on the chest strap). Thanks :D
I use the FleecePadded Harnass since we got Max...he no longer attacks it and I must say it is great as he can sit, lie down etc. YES it's the one from Petsmart about $17+ or thereabouts.

And to others PLEASE USE A Harnass ...recently I was in a rush and let Max hop in my car without a harnass. :oops:
5 miles down the road some idiot ran the RED light cutting me off. OH I reached out and grabbed MAX's collar, put the car in neutral (is std shift) and hit the brakes so hard!!! Luckily i was going UNDER the speed limit and missed the car by inches!
MAX wasn't hurt and I had the poopies scared out of me! My arm was sore for 3 days cause I held Max so hard but we avoided an ER visit.
I also learned a good lesson.
MY other car a Landcruiser has leather seats which you slip and slide on.

MY fiance has been a volunteer EMT/firefighter for 10yrs...it breaks their heart when they hear that call and also find out when people and dogs don't use restraints!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts