Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He will not jump into bed, jump into my xterra, jump out of my xterra. The best he will do is this crawl attempt. He is about 5 months old and around 50 lbs, so getting heavy to pickup everytime...

It seems like he doesnt know his full capacity yet. My parents shih tzus will even jump in and out of my suv..

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Guinness, welcome.

The only reason I can think of for a dog not wanting to jump up is that it might be painful...have you had his hips/elbows checked?

It is possible that you did such a find job of training him not to jump, that he is just being obedient...that would be great! But...from my experience, I would be concerned about whether or not he had painful joints.

I hope that I am wrong...please keep us posted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is an american pound in weight the same as british? I thought Otto was heavy at 24 weeks and 23 kilo but when I hear of 5 month doods 100 pound I wonder if Otto is under weight

·
Registered
434 Posts
I thought the same thing. Calvin is 4 months old and weighs about 35 puonds....I think he is big, too. Tall and leggy. I can't imagine him gaining 15 pounds in one month....Leslie

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Not recommended

to jump on beds or sofas or even to start training that,,they go up they have to come down,,a pup should not put any trauma on hips as they are growing,,it is best to keep them on the floor and not even start it,,slipping and sliding on hardwood or any slick surface can be harzadous to the growth also,,jumping up to catch balls or frisbees,,this all needs to be limited in the critial growing stages,,just a fyi

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good point, Nancy...I agree.

When I had my first dog PennHip tested the vet said that many things contribute to bad hips, including rough play with other dogs! I was very surprised about that.

He said that the worst thing you can do is play frisby with dogs because they jump up and land on their two hind legs. He said that stairs are bad and that jogging is too (until the dog is 18 months old.)

All of that PLUS limiting growth...making sure that they don't put on too much weight too quickly.

Angie...I think that it is very, very uncommon for a 5 month old Labradoodle to weigh 100 lbs...very uncommon.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
PS,,,

Jac at what age did you penn hip test?
you are aware that before 2yrs those tests are basically worthless because the dogs are still growing,,i know of 4 breeders that got bad readings(not passing) spayed the dog retested at 2yrs and the dogs passed with flying colors,, just a fyi hope that helps you or someone else in the future
oh and same is true to visa versa,,they can pass now and fail later,,its just not a sure fire thing,,,and in my experience the radiologist that reads them can make mistakes
(ie i sent a dogs hip xrays in,,came back as fair,,resent the same dog in under another name because i KNEW it was a good to excellent reading and it came back as excellent,,) Needless to say ,,i have lost faith in the certification people at this point,,this has happened numerous times to several of my breeder friends,,maybe its whos butt your kissin,,,I dunno,,LOL

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Nancy...yep, I have been watching the results and find it amazing the differences! In fact, tomorrow I am retesting one of my girls (she is now 2 years old and was initially tested at 4 months.) Her score was fair, but not great and I want to see the difference. My PennHip vet has done OFA and PennHip for years...he is really experienced so I trust his work.

I do PennHip test at 4 months of age. If the scores are good I don't worry but if they are borderline then I will retest...guess I should consider retesting the good ones too, but the test is so danged expensive!

I am testing 3 dogs tomorrow for hips and elbows...I figure it will run around $1800. *sigh*

The puppy that I am testing (my male, 4 month old) is from my tested breeding stock so it will be good to see what result we have with the breeding. My Poodle stud is in the 90th percentile, the mother was in the 60th. We'll see!

I know that it isn't the best thing to test young, but I look at it this way...the hips are so important, if the score is bad there is no sense in testing everything else...so I want to get it done early enough to get an idea as to whether or not to test all of the other areas.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think possibly your puppy is lazy! (or smart!)

our 100 pound boxy lab would NOT jump up into things, but every other dog will.
our lab is the one that stops running in the yard first and gets tired first!

we actually have DogRamp but he is afraid of it!

I finally got leftover steak one day and chopped into little pieces
I got in the back of the yukon xl and my husband held the leash and gently
pulled up and I had a treat each time for him.
we are now able to get him into the yukon, but we still have to have
a hand on his collar when we do.

he is two and we have just taught him this behavior. he was a very lazy pup.
I hadn't a clue prior to reading this post about the possibility of lifelong harm
if the dog jumps too early. perhaps my dog knew that instinctivly?

anyway, if your dog likes the ramp it worked great for our Dane in his later years!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts