Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our lovely goldendoodle boy is now 8 months old. We started him off on Canidae but it is hard to find in our area and costs a bit more so we researched foods and tried Costco's Puppy variety. Big mistake! His stomach was constantly getting upset, runny stools, and he always smelled even after bathed.

We're back on Canidae but wondered about adding in a little canned food? Our doodle isn't a picky eater but I think some different flavors/textures would make it more interesting for him. I know adding in veggies, yogurt, and fruit is another option but Dh is very "formulaic" so when he's feeding it's easier to say "1 cup of food and 1/4 cup canned". lol

If you use canned food, what variety do you use? How often do you add it to the dry?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson was a rescue that we brought home in December.
He ate anything the shelter got in donations and was a very skinny 62 lbs...
We were giving him canned Pedigree because that was the only wet food he would eat but we wanted to stop that becaue it wasn't very good quality and he has allergy issues...

So now we are feeding him Wellness canned.
He gets a little, maybe 1/4 can (around 2 spoonfuls) at night that we mix into his dry food.
He loves it, and it has some different flavors we can play around with.

Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We feed Canidae. We free feed the dry and give canned morning and night.
You can find Canidae by going to their web site, putting in your zip code and they list the sellers in your area.
We have to go out of the way to get it, but it is worth it to us because we refuse to feed any of the products that were recalled due to the ingredients from China. Check lables...nothing from China! Especially treats...any dried chicken treat is from China. :?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I think petfooddirect.com will sell Canidae too. Their shipping is high, but you can always find discount codes online (15-22% off) which makes up for it (at least for shipments to NJ).

·
Registered
100 Posts
We add a couple spoonfulls of Evo or Innova (made by same company) to Kryczek's Canidae intermittently. We have started consistanly sprinkling Natural Balance shavings on his dry food and he seems to enjoy it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
netsirk said:
We add a couple spoonfulls of Evo or Innova (made by same company) to Kryczek's Canidae intermittently. We have started consistanly sprinkling Natural Balance shavings on his dry food and he seems to enjoy it.
I just LOVE the Natural Balance rolls! We do the same two things you do...NB shavings or Evo.
We tried Old Mother Hubbard canned....ugh, it gave Sadie horrible poops!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Has anyone heard of the Frozen Raw food?
I checked out a pet store in my area called Especially for Pets. They have all kinds of the "good" brands of foods. They also had these frozen disks of 95% real meat.

I thought that might be something to consider.

·
Registered
576 Posts
dgeggis said:
Has anyone heard of the Frozen Raw food?
I checked out a pet store in my area called Especially for Pets. They have all kinds of the "good" brands of foods. They also had these frozen disks of 95% real meat.

I thought that might be something to consider.
Was it this?
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.l ... &page=1136

I give Sadie the medallions sometimes as a treat. I'm considering doing an all raw diet but I don't just yet.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
for a treat i add in a 1/2 can of canidae to my doodles meals about 1 or 2 times a week.

NOW with canidae canned...1 can =20lbs dog
so you can figure out easily how much canned per se to feed versus dry Canidae.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i ve heard this and now do it..

we now use canidae..i add a bit of warm water to his dry food..it bring s out the meaty flavor in the dry..it must work cuz Toby go s after it like it
was a T-bone :p

additionally..rather than adding a can food..i add a few scoop s of rice
with each of his meals..

·
Registered
576 Posts
dgeggis said:
Hi Julie,

Was it this?
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.l ... &page=1136

I give Sadie the medallions sometimes as a treat. I'm considering doing an all raw diet but I don't just yet.

Yes it was! I take it that she likes them. This would be a great option over canned food.
She loves them!! They are her "gold" standard treats, her "$10,000" treats. Can you tell I've been reading a bunch of dog training books lately?? :lol:

ETA: I did read today that it's not a good idea to mix raw and kibble in the same meal. Soooooo...if you were going to do this, I'd give kibble for one meal and raw for another if I were you. That being said, before I read that information, I had been mixing raw with kibble or giving raw shortly before or after as a treat and Sadie was fine. :roll: :?

·
Registered
968 Posts
DoodleDame said:
I know adding in veggies, yogurt, and fruit is another option but Dh is very "formulaic" so when he's feeding it's easier to say "1 cup of food and 1/4 cup canned". lol
That cracked me up! We have a certain family member like that, too. I'm always tempted to leave notes like: "Pick up dog dish. Put dish on counter. Open fridge." :twisted: :roll:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I feed Pixie Wellness Puppy. She is fed twice a day, and at each feeding I give about 1/3 of a can, and about 1/3-1/2 cup of the kibble. I also add water to her dish to moisten the kibble. Then she occasionally gets extras like leftover chicken (no bones), an egg, cheese, veggies, etc.

I won't feed Pixie any major commercial dog food. I would only consider the companies that use high-quality ingredients, that don't try to hide the amount of certain ingredients by 'splitting' (listing different components of an ingredient separately), that pay attention to the balance of ingredients, and that don't use any grains as a major ingredient. I prefer smaller companies as opposed to the multinationals.

Our local pet store recently began carrying Stella and Chewy's raw frozen food. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to. I've been considering the raw food diet; my sister has been feeding her doodles on this diet since they were puppies (6 years). But it would take a lot of work to get Pixie to not carry a raw meaty bone to the living room rug - she does this with all her toys and has tried to do it with food a few times. I am not yet up to the challenge!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I feed Cacao Innva Puppy and Canidae. But i have a few cans of Canidae that I will add from time to time. She loves it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cody gets 1/2 can of Merrick with his dry food at dinner. We tried the canned Candidae, but we're partial to the Merrick. The ingredients are all recognizable and it has great chunks of meat and vegetables you can recognize (as in when you scoop it out of the can you can SEE the veggies - peas, carrots, etc). Puppy Plate was a HUGE hit at first. Now my kids say Cody prefers Thanksgiving Dinner. So many varieties to choose from! I like giving him Smothered Comfort - it has a chicken thigh smothered in gravy and the bone is in the can as well (and per the can, the bone is safe to eat due to how its cooked - it literally mushes up with spoon). I guess I'm partial to that one because mushing the bone is fun. LOL I could just not mush it and I shouldn't worry, but I do worry a bit, so I mush. :)
Anyhow, we started buying Merrick at a Feed Store, but have since found it at our local Pet Supply Plus.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We also use the Merrick dry, Merrick sausages and Merrick canned. Not cheap but I agree you can tell what the parts are...peas, chicken...etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts