Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

After reading a bunch of info on this forum and checking out the dog food analysis site I recently switched my current beagle and new 8 week old F1 doodle puppy to Canidae (puppy was on Nutro and my beagle was on Iams - so I figured both were quite a step up in quality).

Anyways, today I just took my Ronin (puppy's name) for his second set of shots and when I brought up food - my vet had not heard of Canidae food brand and said that an all life stage food means that it is not for a puppy - but if she has not idea on the food how can she truly know?

Is this food ok for puppies.... is it weird that my vet had never heard of Canidae.

On another note... I feel like maybe my vet just doesn't do her share of research and maybe I should switch as I also asked her about puppy training classes around etc. as I wasn't overally impressed with Petsmart when I brought my beagle there as a pup and she said she does not have time to check any of them out and had no advice on the matter at all.

So I am thinking I will keep my puppy on the Canidae as both dogs seem to be doing really well so far....

Have any of your vets had any reviews on Canidae??

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
YES it's safe as it's for both puppies and adult dogs
read the back label as the amount to be feed to a puppy

all 3 doodles here are on Canidae all life stages for a year now

Max is now 21mos, peanut 15mos, and Beau is hitting 9mos now

peanut started on it at 3.5 or 4mos old, Beau was 15wks old

·
Registered
576 Posts
Jax said:
Hello

After reading a bunch of info on this forum and checking out the dog food analysis site I recently switched my current beagle and new 8 week old F1 doodle puppy to Canidae (puppy was on Nutro and my beagle was on Iams - so I figured both were quite a step up in quality).

Anyways, today I just took my Ronin (puppy's name) for his second set of shots and when I brought up food - my vet had not heard of Canidae food brand and said that an all life stage food means that it is not for a puppy - but if she has not idea on the food how can she truly know?

Is this food ok for puppies.... is it weird that my vet had never heard of Canidae.

On another note... I feel like maybe my vet just doesn't do her share of research and maybe I should switch as I also asked her about puppy training classes around etc. as I wasn't overally impressed with Petsmart when I brought my beagle there as a pup and she said she does not have time to check any of them out and had no advice on the matter at all.

So I am thinking I will keep my puppy on the Canidae as both dogs seem to be doing really well so far....

Have any of your vets had any reviews on Canidae??

Thanks!
My vet was fine with Sadie being on Canidae ALS.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I actually prefer that our pups stay on Puppy specific food for 4 to 5mths old ,,they have specific nutritional needs,
I do recommend canadai after 5mths though,,its a awsome food from what i have learned, especially for dogs with allergy issues, or tummy upsets

G

·
Here is Canidae's response to that question. I think it makes sense.

http://www.canidae.com/ingredients/whyalllife.html

In nature your pets couldn't choose between a puppy, kitten, or light formulation, only a diet of mainly meats and small amounts of grain. They simply eat more or less, depending on age and activity levels. CANIDAE and FELIDAE both contain more than 50% of high quality meat proteins. We have also included digestive enzymes that closely resemble those found in nature.

Puppies will require a higher caloRic and calcium phosphorous intake than an adult dog would, therefore we suggest feeding twice as much to puppies up to 6 months of age. Our standard recommended feeding guidelines for an adult dog is 1 cup for every 25lbs of body weight. You can be assured with 468 kcal per cup, your puppy will be getting more than most standard puppy foods on the market.
I fed Wellness puppy formula. Here is a comparison between that and Canidae. The main difference is the protein content is higher in Wellness. I think that is controversial because some believe the high protein content can lead to hip dysplasia problems. Both provide about the same kcal per cup.

WELLNESS PUPPY FORMULA:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not Less Than 28.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 17.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 5.0%
Moisture Not More Than 11.0%
Calcium Not Less Than 1.30%
Phosphorus Not Less Than 1.00%
Vitamin E Not Less Than 150 IU/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids Not Less Than 3.0%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids Not Less Than 1.0%
Beta Carotene* Not Less Than 5 mg/kg
DHA* Not Less Than 0.13%
Lycopene* Not Less Than 0.25 mg/kg
Taurine* Not Less Than 0.09%
Total Micro-organisms* Not Less Than 20,000,000 CFU/lb

(L. plantarum, E. faecium, L. casei, L. acidophilus in equal amounts)

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Calories Analysis
This food contains 3,800 kcal per kilogram or 450 kcal per cup ME (metabolizable energy) on an as fed basis (calculated).

CANIDAE
Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min.) 24.00%
Crude Fat (min.) 14.50%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00%
Moisture (min.) 10.00%
Lenoleic Acid (Omega 6) (min.) 3.70%
Vitamin E (min.) 200.00 IU/kg
Calcium (min.) 1.20%
Phosphorus (min.) .90%
Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) (min.) .60%
Ascorbic Acid (min.) 50.00 mg/kg
Cellulase (a) (min.) 100 CMCU/kg
Magnesium (min.) 0.14%
pH 6.0

468 kcal per cup

(a) One carboxymethyl cellulose unit (CMCU) is that amount of enzyme which liberates one micromole of reducing sugar (expressed as glucose equivalents) in one minute under the conditions of the assay.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My breeder sent us home on Canidae All Life Stages when Dante was 8 weeks old. He has never had anything else and has done fine on it.

Heather

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your help.. I am glad to hear that lots of pups and dogs have been healthy and some vets and breeders are recommending the food..thanks again!!

G

·
Linda I was suprised by your post! Maya did not do well on Canidae. She had very runny poo. She is on Wellness and does fine. I thought it was b/c Wellness had lower protein. Maybe it's there is only one source in the Wellness brand she is on?

G

·
Heather! I should have stated that the Wellness I posted is PUPPY Formula! I'll go edit it now!
And Bella did great on Wellness and is doing great on Canidae, too.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lani and Toby eat Canidae. We tried another high quality food that was less expensive but one gave Toby BAD GAS and the other caused Lani allergy issues. We went back to Canidae. Their breeder feeds all her dogs Canidae including their puppies. She likes it because it is a high quality food that she can feed all her dogs, it is cost effective also not to have to buy different foods.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
hi lisa..i have a Toby too :)

i ve been reading alot about Canidae here and searching the web..it was not easily found..only in a feed store in town that now is converted to selling mostly pet food..

they also carry a brand called Diamond..after reading the ingrediant s it seem s like it would also be a good alternative to doggie fast food..is anyone s doodle using Diamond?
http://www.diamondpet.com/

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have a question about Royal Canin dog food. It is a good product i think...but I have heard Canidae is better.

Anyone using Royal Canin ? What do you like about it compared to others.

just curious,,,,,,, 8)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao was on Nutro puppy and had runny poo and really bad gas. So I switched her to Innva Puupy (till she is 6moths old) and Canidae. When she turneds 6 months old I will just have her on Canidae. But she is doing much better. You just have to find what works with your dog.

G

·
Diamond had a major recall in 06 where many dogs died form aflatoxin poisoning (mold). They just settled with many of the families (UP TO $1,000 If pet died :evil: ):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22505068/

...Diamond Pet Foods, based in Meta, Mo., acknowledged that workers at its Gaston, S.C., plant failed to follow internal testing procedures to ensure its products were safe. The company made the acknowledgment after the Food and Drug Administration released a report showing the company has no record of test results for 12 shipments of corn in 2005, when grain tainted with the deadly fungus slipped into the plant.
The company contends it did nothing illegal, according to the settlement...
Just me, but I don't think I could trust them now...

G

·
cocoandjane said:
I have a question about Royal Canin dog food. It is a good product i think...but I have heard Canidae is better.

Anyone using Royal Canin ? What do you like about it compared to others.

just curious,,,,,,, 8)
Hi Jane,
On the dog food scoring list, Royal Canin was 106 and Canidae was 112. So, I think it is a good food. I did find this review from someone on the web who sounds knowledgeable (but on the web, you never know! :lol: ). Her comments on Royal Canin ingredients:

Royal Canin Ingredients:

Chicken meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice flour, dried eggs, brown rice, barley, natural chicken flavor, cellulose, beet pulp, brewers yeast

Brewer's rice is a lower quality rice product that is missing many of the nutrients found in ground rice and ground brown rice.

Whenever flour is part of an ingredient's name, the grain has been processed and some (or all) of the nutritional value has been lost. Frequently these flour ingredients are simply the leftover dust from processing human food ingredients.
And I think I read that chicken fat is not a high quality ingredientand beet pulp is just a cheap filler. Corn is controversial, some think it is not terrible, others say it is a major allergen and is being used because it is cheap...

I think if you are using it and Cocoa is doing well, I probably would not switch...
If you are trying to decide between the two, I would probably use Canidae.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thank you, Linda!! I really appreciate the research you've passed on.
Coco and Abby are on Canidae and I don't plan to switch....

The problem is, Abby's breeder, whom I am guardian-ing for....feeds Royal Canin to all her dogs and puppies. When its time to take Abby out for breeding and whelping....I hope she is Ok with my sending Canidae along for her....I don't care for the corn, or the flour issues in Royal Canin.....both potential allergens and may cause gas.....we have no issues in that department now. Anyway, I had considered beginning to switch Abby to Royal Canin when it is closer to time for her to go out there for a certain length of time.....but, I may see if she minds my sending Canidae with her instead. I do prefer it. Do you think that is OK to do?

Thanks again,
8)

G

·
I would ask your breeder now. I would hate to have her switched and have a problem! I would not think that she would mind.

I also saw it mentioned that Royal Canin has a kennel for dogs used for testing their products. Their website does state this and they seem very proud of it. I just feel sorry for the animals whose whole life is spent kenneled for testing food...

Kennel and Cattery

It took a year's planning and collaboration between Veterinarians, Dog Technicians and Cat Technicians to achieve the design of this kennels/cattery. This unique tool accommodates 128 dogs from 18 different breeds and 98 cats from 13 different breeds. They are looked after by animal keepers who are devoted to them. The animals' wellbeing is ensured by a specially designed environment: pens, watering holes, games and music in the boxes. Palatability and digestibility trials are the only ones carried out (the animal makes a "blind test" as it chooses between two foods). Rest periods (one to three weeks) systematically alternate with these testing periods.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
thanks on the Diamond info..

since ive also looked into the recall..they also make Costco s
Kirkland label..that during the recall it only affected the can d
dog food in calif..

but, nationally they had to nearly pull everything with corn in it off
the shelve s..and now they don t use corn in their dry dog foods..

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
So many of the other brands of dog foods were recalled, I would not buy any that have ingredients from China...and the print is so tiny you can't read it, so look carefully!
Canidae is a good brand. I think you might want to change vets! LOL
Vets are not nutritionists. They get their info from the dog food peddlers that pay them to sell certain brands. You will hear vets tell you to feed certain kibble because it cleans their teeth...well, think about it...when was dog food "invented" and why?
It was initially started as a biscuit for dogs on ships so that they could have a meal that would last.
Dog foods were packaged in cans until the war needed the materials, so kibble was invented.
No, I don't think that dog food companies are all that grand. But, it is convenient. I still think that dogs are better off eating food cooked by their owners! Not many people do that any more, but I do think that it is kind of silly to see how the foods have "developed" over the years.
Our puppies used to be weaned on a special "weaning diet" because it was made spicifically for tiny pups...well, that food was recalled but before it was we almost lost a pup! After watching our dogs become so ill that 2 almost died and one did...I honestly don't believe that dog food companies really care that much about anything but the bottom line.
We feed Canidae because they don't use ingredients from China. If I had the time/ability to keep up with food for 10 dogs, you can bet I'd be cooking for them...or feeding raw. (Puppies too!)
Oh...and any time you switch foods, do it slowly or you will see stomach problems and loose stools.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts