Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you use Canidae and why? I am thinking that is what I want to get for Cacao. But I would like some if from you guys. I also don't know if I like that my puppy will be eating what she will when she is a senior. Is this ok? I just want to give her what she needs.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We do canidae because I had tried 3 or 4 different kinds before trying the Canidae. It seems to work the best for us......limited gas, but no SBD's, shiny coat and lots of that good old fashioned doodle energy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Both my boys eat it. Stools are good (except when Frankie eats something else outside). I feel really good about the rating it got on the poll here on the forum. Also the trainer and Bed And Biscuit, both use it. She actually is a distributor.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tuckerdo and Frankie2 said:
Both my boys eat it. Stools are good (except when Frankie eats something else outside). I feel really good about the rating it got on the poll here on the forum. Also the trainer and Bed And Biscuit, both use it. She actually is a distributor.
So have they been on it for how long. And if you were on something else did you notice a differents, normal poops and things like that?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Switched to it from IAMS after learning how many on the forum used Canidae. No longer have yeasty ear problems, hooray!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We tried Canidae but Tanner's poops were too runny. We the used Eagle Pack and his poops were good but he wouldn't eat it. We switched to Merrick Wilderness all stages and he has done very well on it. You just have to try different ones until you find what works.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
all 3 of my doodles eat Canidae with success :D

Beau and Max get a mixture of the all life stages the green bag and the yellow chicken rice one.

Peanut gets 50% all life stages with 50% senior/overweight platnium now which helps her maintain her weight.

poops are solid...no ear/yeast infections/ shiny coats no flaking/itching
and only Max emits a few SBD's every so often

we had tried 6 kinds of food for Max, and Canidae was the one luckily

OH overfeeding will cause mushy poops

PS Max and peanut have been on it 7mos now, Beau 2mos
and for puppies the amount fed is more than adult to compensate their growth needs

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Puppys really do need PUPPY specific food
canadai although a good food it is a all stages food they do not have a puppy specific blend
puppys have special needs while they are maturing until about 6mths old
I would recommend Verus puppy food , if you can find it in your area or Merrick ,,this is a new can food i am mixing with the verus, it is doing great so far, Merrick also has Dry Puppy food too
stay away from anything that has glutons in any of the ingrediants, and that meat is the first ingrediant, (no corn is also a good rule of thumb)
chicken by products isnt ,,this means they grind up beaks feet anything

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cacao is on (with the breeder) Nutro Max Puppy. Is this ok till she is six months old? And if that is ok what about Nutro Max Puppy Biscuits? Just wondering. I just want to do this right.

G

·
I was using Wellness Puppy with good results, then the whole dog food scare started and so when it was time to switch from puppy food I investigated where things were made. Wellness was not forthcoming with their replies, so I switched to Canidae. Bella loves it and her poops have been great on it! :oops:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky eats Iams Large Breed Adult food. He absolutely loves it. Before he was a year or so old he ate Iams Large Breed Puppy food. He has never had any poop problems or ear problems, so I'll just stick with Iams. I don't even know who sells Canidae where I live.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
sdrudge said:
Cacao is on (with the breeder) Nutro Max Puppy. Is this ok till she is six months old? And if that is ok what about Nutro Max Puppy Biscuits? Just wondering. I just want to do this right.
I actually used to feed Nutro puppy,,but when the food recall happened they were not forthcoming in info i requested, so ,,i dont feed it, that is my personal choice,,,i did alot of research on foods before and after and i just prefer a speciality food source, either that or i will cook it for them,, :shock: NOT somthing i really want to take on :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doodlesville said:
sdrudge said:
I actually used to feed Nutro puppy,,but when the food recall happened they were not forthcoming in info i requested, so ,,i dont feed it, that is my personal choice,,,i did alot of research on foods before and after and i just prefer a speciality food source, either that or i will cook it for them,, :shock: NOT somthing i really want to take on :roll: :lol:
so what kind of biscuits do you give your dogs?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sadie is doing great on Canidae. It's a high quality dog food with a decent price.
We mix in some Evo canned food (like 95% duck or rabbit). Dog biscuits aren't a *must* but we use Canidae snap biscuits for treats as well as Zuke's, and Old Mother Hubbard. All good stuff that gets them to do what you're trying to get them to do (most of the time :wink: ).
If you have a natural pet food store in your area, there's usually someone there who's pretty knowledgeable about food. Julie

G

·
Maya is on Wellness Super5 Chicken mix. I tried Canidae because a lot of people on this forum use it. It gave Maya very runny stools. Puppy food did the same thing so at 6 mos I switched her to the Wellness and she has been great since then. You really need to find out what works bet with your dog. Maya has a sensitive tummy so I have to be careful what I give her to eat.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I never heard of Canidae until I came to this forum, I've fed my dogs Iams for 34 years with no problems

Annabelle eats Iams healthy natural and loves it, She gets Iams biscuits, and I buy Health pro mint biscuits - have mint and parsley in them, she gets one of those in am and one at nite, ask her if she wants a mint and she runs to where we keep them, she loves them. She also has raw carrots if we have them in the house

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we can't give dog biscuits here :roll: produce gas
so we use sweet potato, cheese, pineapple etc

my dogs eat healthier than me :shock:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sandy, I'm with you - I don't think anyone near me sells it - I would probably have to get it by mail order. Tyke is happy with the Solid Gold Hundchen dry with a little Natural Balance Food Roll grated up and mixed in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well...this food question can sometimes open up another can of worms and to be totally, totally honest with you, it's a subject that often makes me really frustrated. I hesitated to answer but I'm going to say it anyway!

I feel that sometimes there is often a snobbery associated with what you feed your dog. I absolutely hate it!! People forget that we are talking about their dogs and that a dog is babied and cooked for and given the organic stuff, etc, etc and then they run outside and go eat their own poop or another animals poop or whatever. Literally! DO NOT GET ME WRONG....I'm ALL about feeding good, quality food and making sure they are getting the best that they can be given, etc. I just think that people need to realize that there are many, many QUALITY dog foods, in all price ranges, that are great. And what works for one may not work for another. With that being said (sorry, that's been building up in me for a while! LOL...), I personally am currently using Canidae. I had never heard of it until this forum and around the time of the whole recall issue, I switched just to be safe. I like the food, I like the company and I like that I don't have to switch my dogs food around depending on age, I just adjust the amount and so far (I've been on it for almost a yr), I've been happy with it. The poops were runny in the beginning and just when I was thinking it wasn't going to work, they started firming up, no smell, etc. But I feel like my dogs coat was just as nice looking on some of the other popular brands. Their ears seem better, but not totally the way some other people have found. Anyhow, I hope I didn't mean to offend anyone, that is not my intent in any way, I just hate the snub I get and I see about dog food.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts