Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

We are going to switch Dexter to Canidae due to food allergies. I see there are 3 varities (lamb, chicken and the normal all stages food). Does anyone recommend one variety over another?

·
Registered
260 Posts
we just started feeding kumo the 'all life stages' this week. he LOVES it. we were feeding royal canin before, and he liked it, but it usually took him all day to finish his food. with the canidae, he eats everything we give him right away and looks around for seconds!

-em

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is on and prefers the normal all stages He has been on
Canidae for about 6 months now, but I mix in ground chicken or turkey with a vegetable and oatmeal. I mix up a huge batch and freeze it. He loves it and is doing great, now with all this recall scare
I am trying Felidae which is for cats. I am worried about all dry, wet etc
except for Canidae/Felidae

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Molly has been on Canidae All Life Stages for over a year now, due to the ear infections she USED to get...according to our vet, many commercial dog foods have way too much yeast in them, and many dogs are allergic to this filler, and get ear infections... Canidae does not contain yeast....
When Raleigh arrived on the scene, I was buying IAMS puppy food, because I did not realize that I could give Canidae to him also...I switched him over two monthe ago...Both dogs love it, so it's a keeper with us!!!
Here's what's in Canidae ...couldn't get much healthier than that!
All Natural Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the quick responses. I wasn't sure if i should be looking for the lamb variety for allergies. I called the store and they claim it's flying off the shelves since the food recall occurred. The store only had 1 bag of lamb left :shock: I will probably buy all life stages if they have it...I'll feel better once we get him off nutro for both allergies and concerns about the recall!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Just because I'm different....I hear you all now....we use Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato...no problems at all. Available at petsmart. They have a nice disclaimer on their homepage about the food recall.

http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs.shtml

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WE use CANIDAE all stages because it can be for both PUPPY and ADULT dogs...also the canned version is the same too.

it also has papaya and acidolphulus for digestion.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so we bought the all stages tonight...we did the 1/2 and 1/2 with old and new food and Dexter definitely seems to like the taste of the canidae (then again, he likes most things). Hopefully it'll help w/his allergies!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shannon - that's exactly what Dex has been doing (chewing a lot at his paws). I feel so bad because I didn't even realize he had a problem for such a long time and it took the vet to realize it :roll: We'll see...i think we won't see much until we get him totally off the nutro (probably a week or 2)...he definitely likes the taste because i was using it as training treats last night and he was going crazy for it :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max LOVES Canidae...he MOOFS while eating it. it's hysterical. Sometimes he gets so excited he looks up goes MOOF and it sprays all over hahahaha then peaut runs to eat the stray ones.
Also if Max isn't at least 1/2 or more done iwth his food, he moofs and growls lowlly at peanut to back off--it's his food hahhahahahhaaa

G

·
I found this on another forum. I think this poster would fit in well here :lol:
Canidae comes out as inexpensive to feed when she did her cost analysis!
I haven't analyzed it, but if true, all the more reason to feed Canidae!

http://forum.dog.com/asp/tm.asp?m=22195&mpage=2&key=

Ok. I'm a total nerd- but I have had this discussion many times and so I just decided to price up a ton of foods, figure out how much I'd need to feed based on giving my dog 1200 cals/daily and then figure out how much that would cost for each food. Then, I sorted them out. Canidae was the 2nd cheapes on the list once I sorted like that, which made me happy because I feed Canidae most often. before I felt like I was buying very expensive dog food. Now I see that I'm not at all! I used excel to do this originally, but when I copied and pasted here it got unformatted. You can still see the data for each food though. It's like this:

Brand
Calories per Cup
Cups needed for 1200 calories
Price per pound
Cost per cup
Daily cost to feed my dog

Then I follwed it with a list of the first 5 ingredients for each food and highlighted the foods I'd feed in green. It actually was sort of cool in spreadsheet form. Oh well. Still, It might help some of you make your kibble decisions!

dog food cost analysis feeding for 1200 calories daily

Brand
Cals/cup
Daily Qty
$$ per lb.
Cost/cup
daily cost

Purina

Canidae

ProPl Sel

Innova

Iams

Nutro Max

Purina One

Beneful

Sci Diet

Chic SS

InnoEVO

Flint RR

Euk

Nutro Ultra

Data based on 40 pound bags, or closest size. Prices from PetCo, or amazon.com for non-petco brands.

Conclusion: Canidae is the best food for the money. It's about the best food period.

Foods I would use: (Top ingredients are single source meals and meats, more meats than grains in top 5 ingredients, whole grains instead of flours. Grains are rice, barley, whole wheat instead of corn and sorgum.

Canidae 468 cals/cup Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, amazon.com 40#/30$ $.75/#

Innova large breed adult dry-350 cals/cup Turkey, Chicken, Chicken meal, ground barley, ground brown rice 33#/$46 $1.39/lb.

Innova EVO 557 cals/cup Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes $1.54/lb

FRR- 477 cals/cup Chicken Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), 40#/$53 $1.33/#

CSS-335 cals/cup Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley amazon.com 35#/30$ $.85/#

Nutro Ultra - no cals available. Chicken meal, whole brown rice, ground rice, lamb meal, rice bran. 35#/$39 $1.11/#

Lesser Foods in order of descending quality: (byproducts, brewer's rice, non specific animals, flours instead of whole grain, corn gluten, no single animal MEAL, sorghum= not highly digestible)

Nutro Max- 380 cals/cup Chicken Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat 35#/$26 $.75/#

Nutro Natural (large breed) 335 cals/cup Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Bran 40#/$32 $.80/#

Professional Chicken and Rice: CHICKEN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, RICE FLOUR, OATMEAL, WHOLE GRAIN GROUND CORN, 35#/$24 $.68/#

EUK-350 cals/cup Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken By-Product Meal, 40#/$39 $.98/#

Iams- 382cals/cup Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, 40#/$30 $.75/#

Science Diet Adult Original- Chicken, Ground corn, Ground whole grain sorghum, Ground Whole Wheat, Chicken By-product meal. 40#/$33 $.82/#

Pro Plan Selects Turkey and Rice- Turkey, brewer's rice, pearled barley, chicken meal, corn gluten meal 33#/$40 $.82/#

Purina One- 400cals/cup. Chicken, brewer's rice, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, whole grain wheat. 40#/$32 $.80/#

Purina Beneful Healthy Radiance- 322 cals/cup Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken by-product meal, Corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, Animal fat 3.5 recommended petco- 35#/$24 $.68/#

Purina-433 cals/cup. Ground yellow corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, corn gluten meal, brewers rice. 38#/$17 $.45/#

Kibbles n Bits- Whole Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Beef and Bone Meal, Animal Fat

Ol' Roy Premium Dog Food- Ground Yellow Corn, Meat and Bone Meal, Ground whole wheat, Soybean Meal, Wheat Mill Run/Middlings,

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA thank you sooooooooo much...i too have the analytical mind and do this when food shopping. drives my family nuts at times.
HOWEVER i haven't had time to do this extensive research of dog foods and YOUR are so wonderful for posting this!
can't thank you enough as i enjoy comparing and you put a bit of work into this too( cut and paste is so hard :wink: ) hahahhaaa

too bad you'r ein NJ and not NY....hahhahaa we could drive my family nuts together doing this :wink: you're about 7hour drive away.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks! that's definitely very interesting. we were a bit annoyed to find the 40 lb bag of canadae cost us $37 after tax, but then i noticed that we would be feeding him less per day and that it should almost even out in the end (and of course we will spend the extra to hopefully stop his itching!).

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Sometimes Canidae runs a sale...right now i am able to get a 40lb for $27.99 :shock:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The cheapest I can find in Salt Lake is $35.00 for 40 lbs with a free bag after 12.

Annmarie - When you get it on sale is it Canadae that offers it or your particular store?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Linda,
Thanks for posting the stats from the excel spreadsheet.
I was going to ask you if you could email the spreadsheet, then realized that it's not yours, but someone posted the data on another forum.
Thought about creating my own - but I wonder this....
How do you come up with the Cost per Cup?
Cost per pound is easy enough since a 40 lb bag has a given price.
But, without counting how many cups you get in a bag, how do you get the cost per cup?

It does seem like Canidae would be cheaper (and just as good quality) as what I'm feeding now (Nutro - Natural choice).
I almost hate to switch. Main (only) reason I'm considering the switch is Bailey poops pretty big on Nutro, but only about 3 times a day. And, at least it's not diarrhea, so maybe I should just be content, but am thinking about the switch.

TASTE? Bailey does eat the Nutro just fine, but I don't think she's crazy about it by no means. We give her Royal Canin for treats and she LOVES it. Occasionally, we'll throw in about a 1/4 cup of Royal Canin in with her Nutro food in her dish. She will actually root around and eat the Royal Canin first, then the Nutro!!! So, maybe she would like the taste of the Canidae better than Nutro.
Since we don't give her any table food or people food, I want her dog food to be something she likes (as well as good for her).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts