Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I know this has been discussed before but I was wondering how I can aim for chocolate labradoodles.

I have a standard chocolate poodle who will be ready to be bred by the end of the year. For the first litter I am planning to get her bred by a lab so I will get F1 puppies. I found a lab owner, she has two stud labs-yellow and chocolate. Both have hip/elbow and Cerf certifications. The owner had not done any DNA(color testing) on both dogs. I guess I am trying to get your opinions/experiences on breeding which color to what, and see where I will get a better chance in getting chocolate F1's. Do you think I will get a better chance getting chocolates by breeding my poodle to the yellow lab or the chocolate lab? My poodle's pedigree has chocolates and blacks. I was thinking I should get my poodle bred to the yellow lab instead of the chocolate so I won't get so many blacks. I am aiming for chocolate as I am hoping to keep a chocolate female from that litter.

I hope I am not so confusing :(

Thanks for the response.

Mhyles

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok without knowing the genetic makeup
meaning bbEe or bbee for a chocoate dog

wait does your chocolate std poodle have a black or pink nose?

the guide on Vetgen is good....shows color of dog with noses
thus giving an Indicator of possible breeding color schems

http://www.vetgen.com/chromagene-coat-color2.html

so what it shows is anywhere from ALL CHOCOLATES to
%age of choc and % of creams (aka reds, tans/yellows/etc)

the last thing to mention though is hidden recessive genes
which is the "roulette" chance in genetics.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I've got a chocolate standard poodle male with a liver nose (and 5 generations of chocloate and apricot behind him) and just bought a chocolate Lab female with a liver nose (and 5 generations of chocolate with a single black behind her) since my understanding is that this the surest way to get chocolates. I hope I'm right. I did bet my money on it when I bought them. LOL

Good luck!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
meant to say LIVER nose hahhaaaaaaaa
pink is the old term :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts