Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Calvin. He is sick. Vomiting 4-6 times today and diarrhea throughout the day. I made him some chicken and rice for dinner but he didn't want even a bite. He is drinking o.k, which in the human world is good news. As a nurse, I tend to let my kids bodies work through thier illnesses. I would try to keep them hydrated and let it run it's course. If it continued for more than 2 days I would call their docs. How long do I do this for Calvin? I thought about givng him Pepto, but don't actually have any. Should I buy some? I have to work tomorrow, but can see if he will eat in the morning before I go to work and should be home by 4. If he doea not eat breakfast, should I call the vet?

Thanks for your advice.. As an E.R. nurse, I feel like I know alot about how to "fix" humans when they are sick, but my dog is a different matter altogether....

Leslie

UPDATE!!!
Well, I called my vet from work-who wasn't actually in right then-but I left a message to call me back. I left work early today, but did not get a call before I left. I consulted several dog-savvy co-workers and they said to wait and see. I came home to a FILTHY, SOAKING WET pair of doodles. (It has been raining here for weeks). I brought them in and offered them a treat and they both took it enthusiatically!!! Then they decided to do a doodle 500 in the living room. (my carpet is trashed! :x ). So, I think he feels better. I will keep a close watch in him tonight and continue to feed him small meals of chicken and rice. My vets office said I could always drop him off on my way to work if I needed to.

Thanks for all your advice and well wishes. You really are the best group of complete strangers I have ever met.... :D

Leslie

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh, I hope Calvin gets better soon. You must be very worried. I am also a nurse and worry mostly about hydration. I don't know much about pepto with dogs. In pediatrics though, we normally advise against it (unless the doctor recommends it). Reasoning is that if there is something bothering them it needs to get out and the Pepto might just prolong the illness. I'm also nervous about giving dogs any human medications as they react so differently then we do. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has used Pepto and found it to be ok for their dogs?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I use pumpkin for diarrhea but I'm not sure if I'd give anything for vomiting until the dog has got everything out.

If he's still vomiting in the morning, be sure to call the vet. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to eat right away. Just use your nurse sense. If you think he's on the mend, you could wait it out, but if he's worse, get him to the doctor.

I hope you post in the morning and let us know how he is.

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Poor Calvin, so sorry he is sick, I'd be calling the vet first thing in the am, I've never had a dog be sick that long, with the vomiting, I'd worry he has some kind of blockage

I hope it's just a buggy thing though and he's ok in am

·
Registered
462 Posts
Although I think I've read on this forum many times to use Pepto (and have used it with Striker), I used Pepto with Napa, and it was HORRIBLE. His poor tummy couldn't tolerate it. He ended up Vomiting instead (I was treating diarrhea). When I called the Vet, the nurse said it was because of the Pepto... I'm not sure why. It seemed odd to me, given how many times I've seen Pepto used with no adverse reactions, but this is what the nurse told me. So, if he's got a sensative tummy, I'd be careful with Pepto. Try the pumpkin instead.

Has Calvin perhaps eaten anything that he should have, and now can't pass? I know it sounds extreme, but it sounds like he might have a blockage.... But, you've definitely got a better sense of things than I do, and I wish you could pass me some of that "nurse sense" :lol: :lol:

Anyway, good luck! But, if you're really concerned, you could always call your local Emergency clinic and see if they can tell you what to give him to calm his tummy and his GI.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie I'd call your VET asap

and usually a dog is made to fast and given water when they are vomiting and have diarrhea.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree with Kristen and Ann Marie...I'd call the vet right away.
That much vomiting and diarrhea is not a good sign. I, too, would worry about a blockage...or, do you have mushrooms growing up there? That is a huge problem for us this time of year...all of the moisture makes the mushrooms grow and they are very poisonous. I almost lost Rosie once, from eating just a few small mushrooms.
I'd also worry about possible rat or mouse poison...
I use Pepto when my dogs vomit the yellow foam, but that's only if it seems to be a one-time issue.
If there is a blockage, nothing you give will help...and the hydration is a biggie...Yep, I'd call or go to the vet. asap
I hope we are all over reacting!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I must admit, I wasn't that worried last night BUT I AM NOW! My vet opens at 8 and I have to work from 7 til 3:30. I would just ask to leave early, but for the last 2 weeks my kids have been sick on and off and i feel like I'm pushing it already.

I will ask my friend to come over and check on him. I WILL call my vet at 8 and hopefully they can get him in after 4.

I'll post later for an update. Thanks for your concern and good advice.

Leslie

·
Registered
560 Posts
Have a good day at work Leslie and try not to worry too much. I'm sure he will be fine, but I am glad you are having someone check on him just in case. At least your friend can let you know if there is any change. Poor little guy, I get so worried when someone's pups on this forum gets sick.

G

·
Leslie, keep us updated! Bella was sick like this last year and the vet did not ask to see her when I called. (My vet is very laid back). He said to keep her hydrated, stop all food for 24 hours and call back if she was not better after that. She did begin to vomit blood and bile and he also said that is normal because her stomach lining was irritated and she had nothing left to throw up. She was fine after 48 hours. I'm also a nurse and was a lot freaked out, especially by the blood, but vet was very reassuring, just a doggy virus....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
NurseLeslie said:
Well, I must admit, I wasn't that worried last night BUT I AM NOW! My vet opens at 8 and I have to work from 7 til 3:30. I would just ask to leave early, but for the last 2 weeks my kids have been sick on and off and i feel like I'm pushing it already.

I will ask my friend to come over and check on him. I WILL call my vet at 8 and hopefully they can get him in after 4.

I'll post later for an update. Thanks for your concern and good advice.

Leslie
Oh my goodness, can someone else take him? This is way not good
he could dehydrate quickly, dogs cant go very long in this situation, Please keep us up to date

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Leslie, is he still vomiting and having diarrhea?
If so, I agree with Nancy, I'd see if someone would take him in for me.
I don't like to be an alarmist, and I do hope that it is nothing but a slight virus...but it could be serious.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie have you considered a ER visit for Calvin ...how is he doing?

G

·
I brought Leslie's update over so no one misses it:

UPDATE!!!
Well, I called my vet from work-who wasn't actually in right then-but I left a message to call me back. I left work early today, but did not get a call before I left. I consulted several dog-savvy co-workers and they said to wait and see. I came home to a FILTHY, SOAKING WET pair of doodles. (It has been raining here for weeks). I brought them in and offered them a treat and they both took it enthusiatically!!! Then they decided to do a doodle 500 in the living room. (my carpet is trashed! ). So, I think he feels better. I will keep a close watch in him tonight and continue to feed him small meals of chicken and rice. My vets office said I could always drop him off on my way to work if I needed to.

Thanks for all your advice and well wishes. You really are the best group of complete strangers I have ever met....

Leslie

I'm so glad Calvin is better!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts