Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time to neuter has come. I have read some very informative advice on this forum. i had a question though.

Has anyone ever gone to the Humane Society to get the job done? First off the cost is much lower, and I never heard that there was a real difference in the Vet or Humane society doing the procedure. If someone does think this is a good idea please let me know.

Thanks in advance...Jon

G

·
Jon,
I can't imagine that the standard of care would be any less than a private office, but I would ask about pain meds and suture type. I know some vets offer a long acting pain med and also some vets use glue instead of stitches. I had a certificate to go to a vet that was not our's because Bella was a rescue and the cost would have been $50. I chose to pay full price at our vet because he used glue for suturing and I wanted hip xrays done while she was sedated, (I suspected hip dysplasia), and he also offered to pluck out her voluminous ear hair so he could see in her canal while she was under...and do her nails! So it was worth it for us.
And if you think he will need a cone collar, you might consider ordering one of these ahead of time.
http://www.bonafido.com/page6.html
The big plastic cones are uncomfortable. Bella did not use one at all.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I had Jonah done by my regular vet, because in my area, the cost was only around $75. Since the humane society neuters all animals before adoption, I'm sure they are well qualified. My vet in Florida used to do volunteer spays/neuters at the humane society. All the vets there did that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would ask who they get to do it. We have a vet school at the college and the Humane Society here has students do the procedures and I don't like that idea much. I'm sure they do a great job, but I just wouldn't want to risk it on my doodle...Leslie

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
In montana a FANTASTIC retired vet did all the humane society spays at a fraction of the cost, he was fabulous. I would recommend them. There goal is to save animals, not hurt them :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts