Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guinness is getting neutered tomorrow. I've never owned a male dog, so I'm curious if they need as much down time as a dog who's been spayed. I'm assuming there aren't as many stitches involved.

So... a couple questions:

Should I get him a lamp shade?
Will he be healed enough to attend a doodle romp 9 days after surgery?

The vet wasn't very thorough over the phone when I scheduled it, so I figured some advice from other dood owners would be helpful! :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky didn't have a lamp shade when he was neutered at 6 months of age. He took it easy for about 3 days after the surgery and just loafed and slept. Then suddenly he was acting his normal self. At 9 days you would have never known anything had happened. If there are no complications, Guinness should be good to go on the romp, but I'd ask the vet when you pick him up tomorrow if it would be O.K.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Bye bye balls
bahahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Denver had no problem at all
We tried to keep him quiet for about 10 days
He was ready to go the next day so we just limited him to
quiet walks, the best we could

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
love the subject line. Gus was dozey for a day. we kept him leashed for the second day to keep him calm. Day 3 we let him rip and he was ok. No lampshade.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah was fine also. Tried to lick a few times, I said ahah and he stopped. Of course that was back when that command used to work for everything..... :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
your subject line is too funny. Our doodles did not need a lampshade for their neuter...however we were home with them for 4 days afterwards to make sure they didn't lick. We kept Dex calm for 4-5 days...however with Kirby it was impossible and they were back going at it 3 days later. I think 9 days later he should be totally fine, but ask your vet.

Our vet said calm walks were fine even the day after so make sure to ask yours what you should do :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Thank you guys for the wonderful advice. I'm supposed to get a call after his surgery today updating me on how things went. I'm not worried about him at all, though... despite being a huge baby, I'm sure he'll come back just as wound up as when I brought him in. :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hope Guinness is back on his feet soon! I don't think I'd show him the subject line of this thread though, Lauren. He might not think it's so funny!!! :wink:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ozzie did not know anything was missing! 3 days of low key activity, no walks, and he was going mach 2 again, only more aerodynamic..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bailey was just neutered (two weeks ago today) and he came through it like a champ. First two days he kept himself quiet....was content just to lay around. I kept him quiet for two days after that and it was brutal!!!
After that he seemed to accept that he had to be careful and just layed by my feet wherever I went. He never even tried to lick/bite the incision area. I used bones to keep him occupied as well.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max never missed his :wink: and he never needed a cone.
he stayed calm for 3 days and then was back to wrestling and doodle runs

he had internal stitches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts