Labradoodle Forums banner

Have you purchased a young puppy from a breeder via the web?

• Yes, it was a great experience; everything went well and we are happy with our dog/s.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it was a horrible fiasco and won't do it again.

• No, I will never buy off the internet.

• No, I haven't; bought from a local breeder, but for another dog, I would consider purchasing off the

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many of you have bought puppies off the web and if your experience was a good one....or a bad one.
thanks for taking the poll.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I posted my why on the other thread :) I voted for the last option...

Just to clarify - we found Dex on the internet, but drove to the breeder to pick him up. Maybe I voted for the wrong one :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I bought locally as i didn't find this forum till AFTER I had a labradoodle

i do know that other forum members that have had their Doodle puppies shipped from breeders on this forum that do FULL TESTING on their breeding dam and sires,
AND have sung high praises about both breeder and their doodle :D :D

Also on this forum we get to seethe doodle puppies with their family homes and hear/see about them on a daily basis. :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I got Jonah through an on-line breeder site. It was a good experience, but knowing what I know now....I was very lucky. It was from a breeder want ads type site that has all different kinds of breeders listing....from the great to the so-so. Jonah was meant to be mine, but I would do a lot more research in hind sight. :wink:

·
Registered
248 Posts
We bought Uma off a breeder online and it was a great experience. I did endless hours of research, however, not just going for the best price or first website to come up. I could tell that the breeder really cared about the placement and well-being of each pup.

It might sound stupid, but we can really tell that Uma was well loved before she came to us. She's so gentle and LOVES to cuddle (but only when no one else is around to see...she has a party-girl reputation to maintain) and I think it's a direct complement to her surrogate mother.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I found our breeder on the web, talked to her A LOT and went down to see the puppies to make a selection. The drive was 6 hrs one way, I would probably let the breeder pick if I were to purchase again. I asked for references and emailed to 2 families. The breeder asked me the right questions about what kind of temperament we wanted in a dog.

I was satisfied and Lani and Toby was wonderful!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Like others, I found my breeder via the internet but I only considered breeders fairly local to us. I wanted to pick up our pup in person.

We had actually planned to buy a different puppy - a female chocolate - but the breeder started acting strange, refusing to answer questions, etc. So we switched to a different pup - our beloved Charlie - midway through the process.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I will say this, in Beau and Max's training class there are 3 other Goldendoodles which all were bought via internet
and they're PROUD to announce they got a doodle from a reputable breeder that shipped their doodle!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you will fine most users of this forum to be very web savvy. And so it is not surprising that many bought their doodles on-line. Or at least found the breeder on the internet. We inspected the breeders facilities (with one hours notice) had long discussions with them and then went back to pick up our pup. Abbey came from Texas.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Greetings from San Francisco where I am lurking but must let folks know my experience buying a 'pretty face' on the net was a disaster! Be especially aware of exchange rates when dealing with a certain Canadian breeder!!! PM for the name of the breeder if you want to avoid the ripoff I fell for...mtd

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I think the reason I've not made more of an effort to learn to ship pups is my own feelings about buying dogs for myself. I can't imagine wanting to trust someone else to choose the "right" dog for me! I like to get my hands on them, get down on the floor with them and let them show me what kind of personality etc they have. I guess I'm a bit of a "dog snob" 'cause if I don't like the whole package I will pass them up.

I'm not even afraid someone would intentionally mislead me... I just want to have the final say.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I guess I may have answered this wrong. I found my breeder on the internet kind of with the help of this forum, actually. But I researched her and found her to be reputable.......so I guess I did use the internet and it was a good experience................except for the Giardia and coccidia.....and hookworm... :roll:
Yet.......she's a reputable breeder and I guess this just happened this one time.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I found Denver's breeder on-line after a lot of research.
I met her when she delivered him to me, but we had six months of correspondance before I chose to purchase a puppy from her.

You all know how much Denver is loved and what a great dog he is so
of course my experience was truly wonderful............

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm with Tink....I get my doggies for LIFE so I am one of those people when buying a dog from someone else, will spend a good hunk of time with the litter in making my choice.
I have picked for other people and luckily they were excellent matches!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Tink said:
I think the reason I've not made more of an effort to learn to ship pups is my own feelings about buying dogs for myself. I can't imagine wanting to trust someone else to choose the "right" dog for me! I like to get my hands on them, get down on the floor with them and let them show me what kind of personality etc they have. I guess I'm a bit of a "dog snob" 'cause if I don't like the whole package I will pass them up.

I'm not even afraid someone would intentionally mislead me... I just want to have the final say.
Actually i dont ship ,but that is not the reason i dont ,it is for the health and well being of my pups,
I think that the breeder knows the pups best ,i know i personally spend 24/7 with them from the day they are born, its impossible for someone to spend 15mins with a pup and know how they truly are, I know the personalities of the pups better then anyone
i address my reasoning on our visitors policy page,
in addition a breeder takes a HUGE chance of people bringing in germs (parvo for one) infecting your entire litter, home and that would put the breeder out of business, once you get parvo in the environment it is almost impossible to be truly free of it
just my 2 cents
:)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I feel if you give the breeder the right info they can match a puppy to your family as well as you can pick one out. The breeder spends many hours with the puppies and learns each one so if you tell a breeder what your looking for in a puppy and they are doing their job then the match will fit for sure. I do ship and have never had a problem, but that works for me, some breeders don't and that works for them. I do allow visitors and have never had a problem there either but we do take precautions some breeders don't again we all will run our progrmas different since we are different but we all love oure dogs just the same.

You just have to find what works for you whether your buying or selling. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
buying online?

I too researched online for a breeder, but I am just not comfortable enough to have someone else pick out my puppy for me and then to ship such a precious being.
If I felt very strongly about acquiring a pup that required a plane trip, I would fly out and bring him/her back with me in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Judy O, what part of the country are you from?

Cute avatar!! What a precious pup!
8)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts