Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pups are here We got six pups 4 male 2 female 3 chocolate,2 black and on cream. All is well Mom is not in love with them just yet but is getting better. ..
She was in total panic and did not tend to them at all she seems afraid of them. She will lay down to nurse but will not interact with them yet She is going in the whelping box on her own a little today and won't leave the kitchen Dad on the other hand stayed on the other side of the gate all day yesterday while she was delivering Has gone in to see the pups and licked them some under our supervision of course I am hoping she will warm up to this mother hood thing soon Any advice would be welcome I am oh so tired was up all night Sunday night while she was in labor hanging out in the whelping box with her then we started having pups at noon and ended at seven She deliver al but number4's after birth, did not eat any of them She is also being a picky eater but has been since we change to Canidia food . I am getting her to eat liver,cottage cheese and some hamburg

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ok, AWWWWWWWW Can I come visit??? (kidding, sort of!) Congrats, and welcome little puppies!

I'm sure the breeders can help you out with mama.

G

·
Gogeous babies!

No idea about Mommy, except maybe too much human attention is making her nervous? She should have 'private time' with puppies.

With absolutely no experience with dog mommies, (just human mommies :lol: ) I could be completely wrong! Hopefully some more experienced breeders will chime in.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If this is her first litter lots of Mama's are nervous, some never make good Mama's but most settle in nicely in a day or two. You can also fix chicken broth and rice for her that might help.

Did she ever pass the other after births? If not she is going to need a shot so if you don't have what she needs you might want to call your Vet. I give my own shots to my females.

If you have any other questions let us know.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would xpen her in with the pups she will come around.
I sleep/stay with the pups for the first week, sleep is overated and comes in little naps for several days. If mom isnt licking them you can pet them with a towel it stimulates them the same way. Mom should be fine, you would be in shock too if this happened to you!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not a breeder either, but I did just read a story about a first time breeder and her mom. It was in the AL Quarterly on this website. http://www.alpsdoodles.org/ So maybe that'll be slightly helpful. It's a really sad story, but I don't know if you're having any of the issues that she had, but I would hate to have another mom and human mom go through what she did. So perhaps it would prevent things? I dunno, if I'm totally off the mark, I'm sorry. But it was the only thing I could think of.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Movie star you made me laugh at the sleep comments but i love the one about being a shock if it happen to me It has 5 times so I do understand. i call and talk to the vet today and we came to the conclusion that maybe it wasn't motherhood or the pups but the whelping box. We arrange the area the box is in a month ago and put on the their beds there Walt loved it Lilly slept there may 5 times tops The we put the box in about two weeks ago and she would not go in unless we told her to or went in with her again Walt loved it if only he had the ability to nurse cause so far he is an awesome parent.Any way She has walking around with her stuffed toy bone and person and cleaning them and not the pups and she would whimper like she wanted to be with the pups but not in the box Long story short well maybe shorter I go her pool cleaned it up and put a blanket in it and put it and the pups in my nice warm quite office where she likes to hang out any way and put it under the desk and she is much better not great just yet but better she goes in much easier and she has let them nurse for almost a half hour ,she just about fell asleep she cleaned them for the first time so I don't think it was interference from us nor mmotherhood I think she just didn't like the whelping box or the kitchen even thought I spent my day out there with her.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more good news as I sat typing in came mom and wanted to get int the pool still a bit shy about how to get in with the pups in the way so Ijust toss her toy in the back and in she went layed down to clean and nurse

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good morning Brenda, how's it going today? It sounds like she just needed to be in a more familiar place :) Have you taken her temperature since she had her puppies? If not, please do, if she has retained some placenta, she could get very sick, very fast if you aren't keeping on top of her temperature. If you are sure she didn't pass everything, she really needs a shot of oxytocin from your vet so she can get cleaned out and not end up with a terrible infection.

Sounds like she is going to warm up to being a mom :wink: Congratulations on a GORGEOUS litter :)

G

·
I'm so glad Momma is doing better! The litter is beautiful with all colors represented! That is so cool! And that cream baby is such a pudgie wudgie! Adorable. Please keep posting pictures!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GOOD MORN

Hi guys sorry I didn't get to post yesterday I was just way to tired to do much of anything lol. Good new we have an awesome Mom in our mist and not it is not me (well maybe 2 awesome moms) Lilly is doing a great job nursing and cleaning and checking and loving her pups. We are now at plan C but I think we have a keeper. We have now move some stuff out of my office and have put the whelping box in here near the living room. She and the pups are quite happy. the pool just was not big enough for her to stretch out and relax. I am hoping to go upstairs to my own bed tonight I have been camping out in the living room to keep her company and make sure all is well. She is eating like a trooper I have been feeding her smaller portions 3 - 4 times a day and she is eating it all. We switched over to Merrick puppy food organic chicken and cowboy caned They both seem to like it so we may have a keeper on the food also. Pups are doing great gaining weight already We are planning on keeping the blond boy His name is Roy and boy is he a chubba. New pics on photo bucket if you want to see My daughter took some real cute ones yesterday
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o126 ... s/puppies/

·
Registered
462 Posts
adorable pictures! Every time I see one of those chocolate puppies.... *sigh* thanks for the puppy fix! Now I'm off to take my last final.... and its bound to be a terror!

But puppies just seem to make the world a better place.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
WooHoo!!

Good Mamma!! Glad to hear you're all settling into a routine now. Those babies are so precious!! I love the photos :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
That's wonderful news Brenda :) Glad all is well, great pics too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts