Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Cali to the dog park this morning and had a terrible experience. We were minding our own business at the far end of the dog park when a woman entered with five dogs that she had no control over. Apparently they go quite often and must be a bit territorial of the dog park. They ran as a pack across the park and attacked Cali, who doesn't provoke dogs, just greets and wags her tail. It was a short tussle and she did bare her teeth and defend herself and I thought she was okay. She acted just fine. We came home, I did some yard work with her keeping me company in the back yard. While I showered she lay on the bath mat. When she got up there was some blood on the bath mat. On closer inspection, I saw she had a gash on her belly. Off to the vet we went. It wasn't deep enough to stitch so he gave me some topical antibiotic/anti-fungal/antiseptic cream to apply. Cali hadn't bothered the cut until we put the cream on it, then she liked it a lot. :? It should take about a week to heal, assuming she doesn't mess with it too much. She may get to experience the lamp shade for the first time.

Thanks for listening to my tale of woe.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
When a similar thing happened to Tanner, we put a liquid bandage on it. Bought it at the drugstore.

You have to be sure to the the kind without alcohol in it. It will say....does not sting....We covered Tanner's wound to keep it clean and keep him from bothering it. You might want to check with your vet first though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh poor Cali :cry: I am glad to hear she did try to defend herself from those bullies :evil: I can't figure out WHY people think they can control 5 dogs that take over a dog park :x Tell Cali that Abby got flattened out (like a bear rug) by a HUGE chocolate lab who wanted to have his way with her - grrrr :twisted: The poor dear was trying like heck to run from him and circling me when I finally put my hands on my hips and stood in front of him. Gee, then his beast of an owner grabs him with no apology - idiot :? You know, there aren't bad dogs, just idiotic dog owners :roll:

Abby gives Cali a extra lick and a big woof out 8)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
How awful ! I"m glad she was not hurt badly give her a big hug for me

People like that should not be allowed in dog parks or any park for that matter ! :x

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Is there someone in charge of the dog park? I would definitely report them! The next dog may get more than a scratch!!

I'm so glad Cali's ok.....give her a hug from her pals here in Ohio!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well that just stinks!
I have no idea how dog parks are run, but I'd sure want them to be safer than that! I'm glad she wasn't hurt any worse!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oh Cali!! Poor thing. We've run into several owners at the dog park that you just want to strangle. They have no place being there!! My husband went right up to one and said he needed to get his dog to back off and the guy pretty much just ignored him. Feel sorry for the dogs who end up with people like that.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
i understand how angry and dissapointed you are, i have had a similar thing happen. some owners are so ignorant. when it happened to me i was caught so off guard i was frozen and couldnt move. luckily Hershey is so submissive it was over before it started. now when we meet a new dog i always mentally prepare myself to step in and defend Hershey if i needed to. i have thought about getting a taser, but i dont know. thier are vicious huskies in our neighbourhood that routinely break their collars and/or chains and get veery scary.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I was caught off guard too as I had my back to the whole situation and didn't see it coming. Cali too is very submissive. It's just a shame because it can be a fun experience when you have friendly socialized dogs. I think I'll tend to stay away from the dog park from now on because you never know what combination of dogs and owners will show up.

Thank you all for your kind words. I will ask the vet tomorrow about the liquid bandage, that sounds like a great idea. Cali seems to be no worse for the wear, we just have to make sure she doesn't mess with it.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Geez Calli you poor girl....if I was there at the dog park, I would have beaten up those bullies for you!!! Just who did they think they were????
And I think any other boy doodle on this forum would have stood up for you too!!! (cuz you're a pretty girl!! :wink: )

Your platonic pal, <----- did you see I said 'platonic' Miko????
Raleigh :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh Meg
I am so sorry you had to have this experience.
Some people should not be allowed to have dogs period.
Please give exta hugs and kisses to Cali from Denver and I.
:( :( :( :( :(

Take it easy Cali and I am sending you wishes for a speedy
recovery............

Love and Woofs

Denver

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have also learned to keep away from our dog parks. Sorry you had a bad experience and I hope Calli will heal quickly. Doodles are just so sweet,Tanner just expects that all other dogs want to be his friends...unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Give Calli a hug for us.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Meg, I'm so happy that Calli wasn't terribly hurt.....keep an eye on her gash for possible infection....as I said before in a previous post, there are no dog parks here so we've never had a chance to go...so many people seem to have good experiences, and then there are instances like yours....hugs and happy thoughts to you and Calli from Molly and me!!! (I think Raleigh sent a post to Calli earlier! :wink: )

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is also the type of dog who assumes that every dog and every
person will love him, and unfortunately that is not the case.(Don't know why teehee)
I have stopped going to some dog parks for this reason but we are
lucky as there are lots and lots of others. Denver will defend himself
but he takes a lot before he will and I worry about that so I just do not go back for that reason. This breed is just too sweet and wonderfully natured
and like little kids, us Moms and Dads have to look out for them ............

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Glad Calli is ok and not more seriously hurt. We've only taken Marley once to a dog park, and that was on a weekday afternoon and no one was there. It was also a state park which requires an entry fee. Honestly, the more I hear about stories like this, and I have heard them here too, the more I feel it is not worth the trip. We can walk around just our one block and can see 15+ dogs that Marley sees and plays with on a regular basis. Not to mention the other blocks we regularly travel. Not all every time, but usually 2 or three of them on any given walk. The neighborhood is a dog park, but one that has dogs and owners we know. That is the key. Dog parks are a great idea, but unfortunately they are open too the public which means there will usually be a small number of idiot owners who has no respect or caring instincts towards their own dogs much less some one else’s. I can live without it for now. And at least wait until Marley is out of the puppy stage and old enough to have the experience that world is not all good and certain situations should be approached cautiously. If at all.

Good health to Calli!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Oh Cali .... You poor thing! I'm sorry your dog park had such bullies in it and you got hurt! Take care ... Ebbe sends licks and I send hugs.

Meg ... What organization is in charge of your park? Ours are operated by the county and I usually see a ranger around at least once each visit. You said this woman's dogs have caused trouble before ... can she be reported? It's a shame because most of the dogs at the park are well cared for and well behaved and it's just those few....

DH would love to have a dog park that you had to sign up for ... present vet papers .... and swipe a card to allow access ... wouldn't even mind an entry fee just to be sure all the dogs were safe from disease and danger. I'm not sure I totally agree with him, but can see his point.

·
Registered
980 Posts
So sorry for your owie, Cali, and your bad experience. Hope it doesn't make you spooked of socializing. Fortunately, most mommies and daddies are not idiots!

My ex-husband was the idiot dog owner type. When I met him he had two adorable labs. They seemed perfect in every way til I saw them in action fighting neighborhood dogs. He let them run free and encouraged territorial behavior and fighting. He thought it made him cool to have a "bad ass dog" and that dogs that didn't fight were wimps and so were their owners. It was a huge bone of contention between us and I should have taken it as a big red flag as to his personality. I couldn't take the dogs anywhere. I was too afraid they'd kill another dog. And no amount of attempted training would take it out of them since he had encouraged it so heartily. What a waste of what could have been well-behaved dogs. Sad :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dextersmommy I guess we know why brutus is your "ex-husband" :shock:

My sister-in-law takes pepper spray with her and if a dog starts for her dog she warns the owner she will spray even if some get on her dog. So far this tactic has worked. Hmmm, maybe just spray the darn owner :shock:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts