Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched Buddy over to Nutro Lamb and rice about 10 days ago and he does'nt scratch quite as bad but more than he should. He seems to have some small bumps on his underside. I havnt seen any fleas on him or in the house but there is something bothering him. We havn't had enough cold weather in Florida this year so it could be a bad year for insects.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Mickey,

have you discussed this with your vet? Perhaps you should take Buddy in for a vet visit?

As to skin problems and food - there are great food supplements available that help skin problems. Especially sufficient Fatty Acids (omega-3 and omega-6) are important. Check your local pet store... these food supplements are available everywhere and not expensive at all (5-10 dollars i estimate)

Michael.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buddy has been to the vets.

The vet said to put him on a flea preventative like Advantage but I hate to do that because of the awful chemicals that go into his system. I am trying everything I can before I do this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A flea preventative is better than all the different things that come with the fleas, like heart worm or any kind of virus that a blood sucking insect can offer. Personally, I think the flea treatments that they have out now is much better than all the spray and powders we used to have to use. Much safer for the humans, too.

Cinnamon scratches a lot and She was diagnosed with dry skin, too. :( We've had her on a product called "Derm Care" we got from a local pet store. It has the omega 3 oil and vitamins D, A & E. It has really helped a lot and her coat is less brittle and is getting a pretty shine to it! She still scratches a little more than she should I think, but She doesn't sit and chew on herself like she used to. She was getting bald spots and they have now filled in. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mickey-
Has Buddy always scratched like this? After the change of food, it may take a little longer to rid his system of whatever was making him itch. It could also be that whatever was making him itch in the old food is still in the Nutro. Corn, wheat, chicken, beef... all could be allergens. But, I would definately put him on some sort of flea and tick preventative. I was very nervous about putting anything on my Summer, and I tried to find a more holistic approach. But, from my research, I determined that the high quality flea preventatives are safe. It's the cheap ones from the pet store that I would never put anywhere near my dog (like BioSpot). Advantage and Frontline are pretty safe. Also, if he has always been itchy like this, I'm wondering if it could be an environmental allergy. I know this sounds crazy, but I know dogs that are allergic to grass. I've heard of dogs being allergic to fertilizer on your grass, laundry detergent you use to wash bedding, etc. Maybe its something to ask your vet about. If not, a fatty acid supplement is definately worth a try. What do the bumps look like on his underside? Just something to think about... I hope things get better!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
This might seem like a lot of work, but I have an idea you could just try. For a week or so, buy a couple chickens, and boil them up. Cook some brown or white rice in the chicken broth, and feed chicken and rice - JUST chicken and rice - and then re-add the Nutro? Then I think Buddy's system would be cleared of all the foods after a week, and GRADUALLY....like 1/4 of his food is Nutro, for several days, then 1/2, etc.

I've done this for different reasons, for different dogs, and at one time had a 1-gal ziploc bag in my freezer for signs of digestive problems that seemed to never end.

Also: this sounds like a cheap way out, but KIRKLAND food (Costco brand) has no wheat or corn, in the adult food. My dogs really like it, and had ear problems (yeast) from the Purina foods containing corn when they became adults. But I would still recommend the break with chicken and rice between foods, to eliminate the risk of residual effects.

It's like everything in life: it boils down (no pun intended :wink: ) to time vs. money and the chicken and rice is about as non-allergenic as you can get, so it would give you a baseline before changing to another food. And a big batch can be a one-time thing, lasting for several days.

I hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts