Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy has figured out he is tall enough to stand on his hind legs and grab whatever he wants off the counter tops and dinner table. How can I break him of this before he grabs something hot and hurts himself. He is six months old and very much a puppy.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I nice tug on a handle attached to the collar, with a key word "Off!" while making eye contact.

The Physical/Visual/Verbal keys will get him to stop.

The handle, what is that you say?
take an old leashtie a knot in it 6-8" and cut the rest off. Thereby creating a "tab" to grab and it gets their attention.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Similar to the last post....We filled a tin can full of pennies and set 'traps' for Dave by setting the can on a dish towel or tray on the counter. When he pulled at the towel/tray, the can tumbles down and makes loud clanging noises which startled him. We also had a can of pennies handy so if we caught him going after something on the table, we'd shake the can and startle him. After a few times, he got the idea and now only sniffs around the counter/table but doesn't try to take things.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For my two doods we still watch 'em like a hawk ( 8 months old). I had an Old English Sheepdog who was very smart (I know, I know, OES aren't the brainiest dogs in the world, but Bailey was sharp!). He would wait till I turned my head and SILENTLY steal stuff off the counter. Once he ate a pound of cream cheese. He had diarrhea for two weeks. Later he stole a butcher knife. It was getting very dangerous. My vet suggested I "bait" him with butter or cheese left on the counter but covered with cayenne pepper. It took three experiences for Bailey to get enough. I felt so sorry for him and I worried that it was cruel... but he NEVER got on the counter again.

Because I had had this experience I watch my doods very carefully and I don't allow them to even show interest in my food or the kitchen counters. As soon as the nose goes up in the kitchen to sniff, they get a verbal correction or a shake from the noisy can. (We keep an empty soda can with a couple of nickels inside out on the counter - they HATE the noise it makes when you shake it.)

I believe that you establish yourself as your dog's leader in all sorts of behavior issues, when you tap into their natural instincts to respect the alpha's food. That's why I correct as soon as I see the nose go up. Once their paws are on the counter, I know I've lost the battle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.