Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy has figured out he is tall enough to stand on his hind legs and grab whatever he wants off the counter tops and dinner table. How can I break him of this before he grabs something hot and hurts himself. He is six months old and very much a puppy.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I nice tug on a handle attached to the collar, with a key word "Off!" while making eye contact.

The Physical/Visual/Verbal keys will get him to stop.

The handle, what is that you say?
take an old leashtie a knot in it 6-8" and cut the rest off. Thereby creating a "tab" to grab and it gets their attention.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I heard this tip on another post and thought it was hysterical...

put a cookie sheet with metal spoons on it on the edge of the counter, when he jumps up and knocks it down, the spoons will come crashing down and it will scare the begejus out of him and he wont do that again! :shock:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Similar to the last post....We filled a tin can full of pennies and set 'traps' for Dave by setting the can on a dish towel or tray on the counter. When he pulled at the towel/tray, the can tumbles down and makes loud clanging noises which startled him. We also had a can of pennies handy so if we caught him going after something on the table, we'd shake the can and startle him. After a few times, he got the idea and now only sniffs around the counter/table but doesn't try to take things.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For my two doods we still watch 'em like a hawk ( 8 months old). I had an Old English Sheepdog who was very smart (I know, I know, OES aren't the brainiest dogs in the world, but Bailey was sharp!). He would wait till I turned my head and SILENTLY steal stuff off the counter. Once he ate a pound of cream cheese. He had diarrhea for two weeks. Later he stole a butcher knife. It was getting very dangerous. My vet suggested I "bait" him with butter or cheese left on the counter but covered with cayenne pepper. It took three experiences for Bailey to get enough. I felt so sorry for him and I worried that it was cruel... but he NEVER got on the counter again.

Because I had had this experience I watch my doods very carefully and I don't allow them to even show interest in my food or the kitchen counters. As soon as the nose goes up in the kitchen to sniff, they get a verbal correction or a shake from the noisy can. (We keep an empty soda can with a couple of nickels inside out on the counter - they HATE the noise it makes when you shake it.)

I believe that you establish yourself as your dog's leader in all sorts of behavior issues, when you tap into their natural instincts to respect the alpha's food. That's why I correct as soon as I see the nose go up. Once their paws are on the counter, I know I've lost the battle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts