Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which type of brushes fellow Doodle owners are using. I'm not satisfied with the brushes I have found for Ruby. my 22 mo old doodle. The regular brushes don't get the tangles out and the "rake looking" one that works the best, Ruby hates. She has the long "wooly" type coat which looks great but everything seems to stick to. I also have tried combs with some success - painful though.

Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree, Les Pooches...cost plenty, but work well.
Technique is also part of it...my sister-in-law (and an owner of one of our puppies) spoke with her groomer about brushing her dog. The groomer said that the most common mistake we make is that we brush like we do our own hair...but with dogs (this sounds mean, but if done correctly does NOT hurt) you take the brush and sort of gently hit it to reach the skin before you brush. That way, you brush from the skin out, not from the top of the coat. This works as long as your dog is not matted...in which case you would need to trim him down to get the mats out and then brush regularly using this method.
I understand how hard this is...I own a Poodle as well as 4 doodles, and he has the toughest coat to brush because I let it grow.

G

·
Hi Russ,
The long woolly coats are difficult for maintenance, but beautiful to look at!
I use the Les Pooches brushes. I got the purple one for regular brushing and the Mat Zapper for mats. The Matt Zapper is only available to professionals (groomers? breeders?) (not sure why). I found one on eBay.
In between brushing I use the Grooma Comb. It was made for horses tails and I love it! The teeth can spin as you brush thru the coat, so the pulling is lessened. It works great and Bella likes it. (She still does not enjoy the brushing.)
http://www.grooma.com/comb.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I went to the Les Pooch web site and for dogs like Ruby (65pounds), they recommend a wide brush. This one is a 2 sided brush for $75. That is a lot for a brush. The regular width cost $42. Is there a cheaper place to buy them?

Russ

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sometimes you can get breeders or groomers or just owners together to buy in bulk and the brushes are cheaper that way. I bought two brushes for $80...and it is very expensive. But I do like the brushes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts