Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be safe to assume a proven male bred a female if they run together all the time? My dog Spice is in heat, and she has always been running with Pinto since we got him. And i havent seen him breed her, but im not around all day long either, so is their a chance he bred her during the day when i was not home? Cause he has shown interested in her. I learned how to breed kenneled dogs, by putting the female in heat in with the male, and he would breed her right away. But i dont keep my dogs the way my uncle did, and i was just woundering. Jennifer

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jennifer...yes, it is very possible...whenever you have intact dogs you do have a serious situation and unless you are fully prepared to be responsible for the puppies...you should keep them apart until the heat cycle is past.
I am not being judgmental...but I am very concerned about your situation and I do hope that you understand the responsibilities of being a breeder...if not, you may very well have puppies on the way and you should start...right away... to assure that they are born helathy and that they have a good chance of happiness in life.
When we create lives, we are responsible for them.
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hvpup1.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm. Jac, i am a breeder. I am just trying a new way of doing things by letting my dogs run together, so they will be socialized, happy, and have exercise. And i dont put dogs together that i dont want to breed. I also dont put dogs that dont get along together either. The only dogs with my males are the ones i want to have puppies from. I have 3 1/2 going on 4 years of experience with breeding dogs, and over 10 years of experience with raising and training dogs. I worked with over 10 different breeds, and i once was in charge of the care of over 100 dogs at one time. The lady i bought Pinto from, let him and 5 other females run in her house and yard, and she bred them that way. And i thought i would try it. My dogs seem happier when they are together then before, and i dont want to keep them all in there own kennel. But since im used to dogs that are kept in there own kennel, i thought i would ask. To see if others have had luck with doing it this way. If i didnt know what i was doing, i wouldnt be breeding dogs.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, Jennifer, I am sorry...so many first time breeders come on this forum and ask similar questions...I apologize...sounds like you can teach me a lot about breeding...I didn't want to insult you...only to instruct a new breeder...sorry that I came across in a bad way. (I replay to so many different posters on this forum that sometimes I get the persons mixed up too...I regret that...and I appreciate your response.)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jenn: This type of breeding may work well, but unless you see them tied you just dont know. The only reason i say this is b/c my friend who breeds shelties ran into this problem. They ran together always, raised together, and she ended up doing A.I b/c they just would not breed naturally. I didnt interfer with my two dogs but I did see them tied, and I have a wonderful litter right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts