Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning, welcome.
You ask a very, very complicated question and rather than to go into great detail with breeding advice, I would first suggest that you check various dog breeding sites, because responsible breeding is not limited to Labradoodles...once you determine that breeding is for you, then you begin to look into the Labradoodle crosses available and the benefits/drawbacks of each.
Here are some of the things that took me by surprise:
Expense (I have paid nearly $30,000 and have produced only 2 litters to date.)
Location (we moved from the city to the mountains to accommodate 4 dogs)
Time (this is much like raising babies, you need to be constantly aware of them and training them, and you form a great bond with your vet!)
Responsibility (huge topic here, but basically, you need to find out what to do to provide the best possible start for your puppies, and to honor your commitment to the buyers)
Emotional drain (again, like children, you worry over you dogs, you get upset with their health issues, you thrill for the healty birth of puppies, and mourn for those not so healthy...and cry when they are ready to leave.)
You will, at the very least, need to make sure that your breeding dogs are not genetically weak, so you will have to conduct (again, at a minimum) hip and eye testing. You will also offer a health warranty, so your first few litters, the money will need to be saved in the event that one, or all, of your puppies become serious ill. (Not likely, but possible, and you must be prepared.)
This forum is a good starting point, as are many of the other Labradoodle forums, I would suggest that you review the archives and if you do decide to go further, please contact me. I'll be happy to help if I am able to.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jac's information to you is great. Getting into breeding quality dogs takes a lot of research, testing, and start up costs. To maintain these animals is also not cheap. I have started to calculate everything spent on my three dogs and it is scary (and to date have not had a litter yet). I love my dogs and enjoy spending time with them and training them so I do not mind the weekly expenses. This is a great web page to ask questions and get honest answer. Welcome to the forum. I guess my advice is research research research!
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't even want to tell you what we've spent and been breeding doodles going on 3 years now and we might see some profit this year. We far everything we make we put right back into our Kennels to make things better for the dogs and make things easier for us for cleaning and things.

The other thing is be ready to work hard and spend money and if your lucky break even the 1st couple years.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Go to my website and click on the link "So you want to breed Labradoodles or Goldendoodles?" That pretty much says it all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,
Here are some suggestions, buy some books on breeding, and kennel management, when you do buy dogs buy proven adults. Cause if you buy puppies to raise up, you wont have any puppies for 2 years. And have your vet show you how to do some things, like i can cut costs by doing my own vaccinations, deworming, and declaw removal. Also use a country vet instead of a city vet, their prices are alot cheaper. Where my mom lives in the city it costs about $200 to spay your dog and at the country vet that she has for the cattle, its $45 to spay the dog. Also with pet food, the best kind to go with are something that doesnt have corn or soybean in the first 3 ingrediants.. Its hard to find something though, and your organic or all natural dog foods are really good too but they cost more than your supermarket food. I get my dog food delivered from the local feed mill. Which is an advantage cause it costs $20 for them to deliver, and they stack it all for me in the barn. And since i order alot from them, they give me a free bag and this last month i got two free bags. Thats just some suggestion i can give, hope it helps. jennifer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Web site

dixiedi said:
Go to my website and click on the link "So you want to breed Labradoodles or Goldendoodles?" That pretty much says it all.
What is your web address

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just click on the www below and it will take you to my website :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hello and welcome!
Everything said here is great info, and every bit is true.
I have often said about our breeding Labradoodles: It's good money but it's not easy money. :D

Most of us who are breeders have the "www" button under our signatures here. And there is a lot to learn by reading and reading on the various websites and threads here, plus on another excellent breeder's forum: http://disc.server.com/Indices/179154.html

The breeder who wrote the article Diane linked to about the costs of breeding interviewed many of us to get input on all the costs. For me personally, our first attempt at breeding Labradoodles ended in an emergency spaying of our Labrador so of course we netted ZERO dollars and started out in the red, right off the bat. :cry: Nobody wants to start that way but it does happen.

I would recommend "lurking" or reading a lot before posting.
Also, I highly recommend finding local breeders you can visit and interview. They don't have to be doodle breeders, but they should be breeders who will talk to you knowing your intentions, as some AKC breeders don't like us. :oops:

The breeders on this forum are not competitive; we are true COLLEAGUES and we are not exclusive or wanting to discourage anyone for fear of competition. But we are experienced and have seen many sides to this business. But don't get us wrong: we love it all!

Ask anything here.....respectful people are always welcome.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI Winediva......i dont think she is here anymore and there is no link .....sorry

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would do a lot of research, consider the funds you have for start up, consider your family lifestyle (no vacations when breeding), consider the time you have to spend on this as it's a big commitment.

I have been breeding Australian Labradoodles and the financial and time commitment was shocking at first. It will be a long time before you establish your kennel and start to make money. Remember that breeding them is one thing, then you have sell them so that is a "business", so you have to really be honest with yourself and make sure you have the time, funds, marketing experience necessary to make it successful.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you give me your website? I'm interested and researching becoming a breeder as I look to retirement next year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend you purchase the following books:

How to Breed Your Labradoodle
The Complete Book of Dog Breeding
Canine Reproduction and Whelping: A Breeder's Guide
Breeding Dogs for Dummies
Puppy Intensive Care: A Breeder's Guide to Care for Newborn Puppies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts