Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the best age to start breeding a dog at? I've only heard people talking about females, but no one really says what age to breed a male at. My uncle started breeding his around 1 year of age, so thats what ive only known. Jennifer

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Jennifer, all males are different. I have one male that sired his first litter at 8 mos of age, 8 beautiful puppies. Then Mikko was a little over a year. I know of some that still wasn't successful at 2 years of age :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi again,
My male, Chase, sired his first litter at 8 months of age too.
Everyone said that when he starts lifting his leg, he can do the deed...and sure enough, that's what happened. :wink:
Females need to be older because their bodies go through so much, and they need to be mature enough to care for and nurture the puppies. Nursing puppies is really hard on the mother.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Jac... Murphy lifted his leg yesterday, hopefully he will be ready for moe!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Way ta go Murphy!!!! I bet he'll be ready. I've always gone by the leg lifting and it has always been a given :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yeah, Murphy! You 'da man!!!

I will be sooooo excited to see their pups! It will be really fun to compare your litter to Rosie's, won't it?

Whooooo Hoooooo....lift 'em Murph! You stud, you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i always though males looked funny when they dont lift their leg, but its nice to know what everyone else thinks.. thanks, jennifer

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Most breeders, myself included, breed on the 2nd heat. We do prelims on the hips (this can be done around 1 year of age, actually earlier but it is best to wait until they are around 1 year). Are you looking to start breeding Labradoodles?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok thank you. Yes I am looking into breeding labradoodles but it is very hard to find someone willing to sell me a female f1b labradoodle for breeding.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Looking for really good breeding stock is one of the first jobs that tells us that this "business" is HARD WORK! :wink:

Lauren, I would guess that you are very welcome to speak with or email any of the breeders who post on this forum! I've had very good experiences with selling puppies to other breeders as I'm sure others here have had as well. But if you want an older female who's suitable for breeding it does get pricey or tricky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts