Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi... I was wondering about a few ads here in our local paper for f1 doodles and f1b's with a 2yr guarantee but only charging $350+ ???

other local breeders charge $1000-$1900 here in rochester ny

also there is a someone from missouri running an ad herein ny!!!and ships them at only 8 weeks old. ok what gives with this??

I also saw a 8mo doodle being given up ...i called and the doodle was already spoken for.

makes me wonder why people don't realize all pets need love, attention and training. why do people expect dogs to be better than our own kids at a much earlier age?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A lot of times and I hate to say this but people jump on the money train thinking they will get rich quick it happens all the time.

What people really need to ask is how long have they been breeding, and how long will they continue?

What kind of health testing do they do on their adults they are breeding?

It takes a long time in this business to make money so your heart has to be in it for the long haul.

As far as the MO breeder advertising some breeders will do this to keep from people wanting to come visit their kennel if it is far enough away most won't want to travel that far to visit.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Although I will admit that I am not aware of the circumstances for this breeder, I will say that when a Labradoodle is being sold for such a small price it raises red flags for me. Why? Because as much as I would love to sell my puppies for less, I find that as long as I am testing my animals and providing the kind of care and nurturing they need, that I simply am not able to stay in business unless I earn part of that back through puppy sales.
It takes more than just putting ANY Lab and ANY Poodle together to make a quality puppy. A breeder carefully selects breeding stock for good temperament, intelligence, health and genetic traits...this means that the parents and their pedigree should be known to the breeder.
Raising puppies involves more than just letting nature take it's course...I just delivered a litter of puppies (no, I really did deliver them) and I was prepared for almost any emergency situation. I spend hundreds of dollars on every litter, just for supplies. Not to mention food, chewies, toys, and all of the things I give to the new owners (books, food, blankets, toys, chewies, treats, etc.)
In addition, medical care is very, very important. The pups and mother must be dewormed right away...and examined by a vet. I microchip my puppies and include the spay/neuter in my prices. My puppies have their first 2 series of shots before they go home and they are examined to be sure that they are healthy no later than a week before delivery.
That is not to say that I don't offer discounts and even donate dogs, if the circumstances warrant it...still, for the most part, if a breeder is spending money on their breeding stock and puppies in order to make them healthy and comfortable, giving them a loving home environment, they can't stay in this business charging so little for their puppies.
It also depends on the location of the breeder...many states have "lemon" laws for puppies...here in California, we do, and it is illegal to sell puppies without certain health warranties.
I believe that the market will eventually cause the prices to go down...but at this time, if a Labradoodle is selling for much less than $1000, I would warn buyers to make certain that the breeder is running a reputable operation and that the puppies are being raised in a healthy environment. (IN fact, I would advie that buyers check into all of this no matter WHAT price they are paying...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts