Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, if you all are buying a dog or puppy from another breeder, what paperwork and/or info do you ask for?

I have been talking to a breeder about a possible candidate for our program, and I'm wondering about this. I know to ask for CERF/OFA and AKC info but what else?

one more little thing...does anyone know the exchange rate for CA or where to find it?

thank you in advance!! :D :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Maureen....I think that the most important thing to find out is what is the contract regarding health of the puppy as it relates to breeding.

As you know, pedigree and health testing for the parents are important factors and should be determined up front, but what if you test for things that your breeder doesn't and if you determine that the puppy is not a good candidate for breeding? This can be subjective, so I'd spell it out very clearly in the contract...to protect both parties.

Everything else is on a case by case basis...depending on who you are working with, what you know of that person's credibility, etc. But you should always consider what will happen if the deal doesn't work out. And then you will know what to address in the contract. This will protect you and the breeder as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great point! Thanks Jac

I spoke with a breeder/friend today...she suggested that if the price is "breeder price" (2x or 3x) that there be an option to refund the difference between breeder price and pet price if the agreed-upon criteria weren't met. i.e, if hips were supposed to be 'Good' or better, and turned out 'Fair' that the difference between the 2 prices would be refunded.

What do you think of that?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Okay, now you are hitting right on the problem I had...we need to talk! :wink: I am going to call you...now! LOL

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Who was that breeder friend you were talking to??? :lol: I think one very important rule for all of us is to trust the person you are working with Diane and I have a great working relationship, I love working with Dixie some of you I know and would work with, but sit back and think about who it is you are doing business with and if you can trust them to honor what they say they will after all it just a contract how do any of us know this would stand up in a court of Law, Jac maybe we could put you on retainer... :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, I am learning all the time...and when I spoke with Maureen and found out who she is dealing with, I relaxed...knowing that she can't go wrong...you are sooooo right...look at the person you are dealing with!
In my case, there were LOTS of issues and that is why I wanted to discuss it with Maureen...but you know what I had to say because you and I have had some great conversations and you have helped me so much. I am very jealous of the wonderful relationship you have with Di...and the two of you are an inspiration to me.
I personally look forward to working with you both some day in the not-too-distant future! :D

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I love talking to ALL of you guys! Lee Ann, Diane, Linda, Jacque, you guys are my peeps! :wink:

I did hear of a puppy that sounded PERFECT for me - but he went to someone else - but I didn't know much of anything about that breeder, nor did she know me so I have been asking about how to work with someone on a strictly contractual basis...thus Jacque is "on retainer" :wink: ...the truth is all of us have a different perspective so we learn so well from each other.

I honestly don't know where I'd be without my breeding friends and colleagues. :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well, I've kinda missed out on this one but I want to add my double doodle dittos in here :lol:

Maureen, did you get my e-mail about Maggie & Mikko's puppies? They are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
dixiedi, have just had a nosey on your website at Maggie & Mikko's puppies, I just couldn't resist! They are beautiful. what a lovely selection of colours, congratulations!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Thanks Sarah :D Mikko and Maggie are a good match colorwise anyways, now we'll just see how the coats turn out, this is Mikko's first litter of babies and Maggie's first litter of doodle babies :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts