Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a F1 labradoodle 8 weeks old. I just found out the breeder has given the required vacinations and deworming shots themselves. Is this an issue? I was going to ask for the vet's name but not sure I should proceed any further.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Please don't give up on the breeder because they give their own shots. A lot of us breeders give our own shots but that doesn't mean we don't work closely with our vets and our puppies are seen several times by our vets before they go to their forever homes. I would definately ask for her veterinarian's contact information and if the breeder hesitates to give it to you, then run the other way. Any good breeder will be happy to have you contact their veterinarian for a reference. They will also be more than happy to give references of past puppy buyers. Ask if the parents have had any health testing done, etc. Don't hesitate to ask questions. That is the only way you will get a feel for the breeder and if you don't feel comfortable with the answers you get, then I advise you to look elsewhere. Good luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have asked all the health questions and have found the father (poodle) has been tested and is OFA'd at good. No other testing has been done. The breeder has indicated that the pups have not see a vet yet since she gives her own shots.

We are on vacation at in laws and will be passing through the town where the pups live to check the pups out prior to driving 6 more hours home. Should I request they be seen by a vet before we arrive? I was given a reference that we will call today. I know we have 72 hours to see a vet and I will set up an appointment at home but I'm very hesitant to purchase a pup that has never seen a vet. I will request her vet's information. I just don't have a warm feeling and need some expert advise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I take it the pups are 8 wks old and ready to go home? If they are 8 wks old and haven't seen a vet, I would be very learie. If she cannot give you a vets name for a reference, I would run the other way. No breeder, in my opinion, can raise puppies without having a good, standing relationship with their veterinarian. You don't mention the momma having any testing done. If she hasn't at least had her hips certified, RUN. Does the breeder give you a guarantee? And offer lifetime support? Lots of fly by night breeders will offer guarantees but if an issue comes up a year down the road with your puppy, are they going to be there. That is why you must get references of past puppy buyers. Ask how long the breeder has been breeding. I am sorry to be so negative about this breeder but I don't want you to end up buying a puppy and having your heart broken or wallets emptied on vet bills down the road. I don't know what she is asking for her pups but if it looks like a good deal moneywise, it usually isn't. Buyer BEWARE. Please keep us posted if you do stop by to see the puppies. Let us know.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree with Diane...there should be a vet reference. The vet can tell you whether or not the parent dogs are seen regularly, if they are in good health, if they have been treated for any serious or questionable diseases.
I personally have my vet do the shots and deworming but I know of many good breeders who are able to do those things themselves. So, the fact that they do is not an indicaiton of problematic practices...BUT if they say that they don't need a vet because they do their own shots, I suggest looking somewhere else. You have many really good breeders to choose from and you want to give your puppy a healthy start in life.
Look carefully at the health warranty. Many less-than-perfect breeders will SAY that they offer a warranty...but often the warranty is only if the puppy DIES from a disease...that won't help you if you are facing a serious, painful, but not life threatening disease.
BOTH parents must be tested...not just for hips. OFA hip testing is good for the Poodle parent, but Poodles also should be tested for SA, vWD, thyroid, elbows, etc. The more testing conducted, the more confidence I have in the breeder.
Often people get puppies from such a breeder and will give glowing references because they love their puppy and, thankfully, they have a healthy one...I doubt that you would be given a reference from someone with a sick pup or someone who was not pleased...it is true that we all want glowing reports from our puppy families, but we are dealing with nature and things happen...what is important is how does the breeder handle problems? Were the customers satisified that the breeder really cared and that they felt supported...did the breeder help either emotionally or financially when a problem arose?
A breeder who says no vet has been involved is a breeder that sends off warning signals to me...not that it is necessarily bad...but you need to be very, very cautious. Ask questions and get firm answers (backed by records...not verbal promises of "the dog is healthy.")
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi, I'm late on this thread but I just have to weigh in!
First, I would say you should probably RUN from this breeder if the Labrador Retriever in this Doodle's background hasn't been x-rayed! Why would they x-ray the poodle and not the Lab? Hip Dysplaysia is far more prevalent in Labs than Poodles.

Secondly, the vet reference is a really good issue.

Maybe it's me, but can I just suggest you look at other threads on this forum about the "backyard" breeder and how it can spell trouble and vet bills for you in the future?

finally, BEST WISHES! :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm late also but I do agree with the others I'm a breeder also and give my own shots but my pups go into the vet at 6 weeks and again at 8 if they are bring shipped. My vet also comes out to my kennel and gives all my adults a yearly exam and rabies, I do their booster shots.

I do have to say that Maureen is right HD runs more in Labs than Poodles so I would worry why they did the Poodle and not the Lab.

These are just my thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts