Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are interested in purchasing a labradoodle or possibly a goldendoodle. We checked out the approved breeders list in our area, but we are interested in other's opinions with breeders in PA,NJ or DE locations or any other recommendations. Thanks!! :D

PLEASE PM any info

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I just sent you a pm...up at the top where you login you will see "You have 1 new message"...click on that and you can view my message :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hi and Welcome!!!

You said you had looked at the "approved breeders list" approved by whom? most are PAID advertising and some breeders choose NOT to be on some lists

there are many great breeders out there that are not on any lists

Be careful in PA though there are also numerous puppy mills
good luck in finding your perfect doodle pup ,if you would like to visit our site , we have alot of Info there to assist you in your search for your perfect puppy
link below

Welcome to the Wonderful Wacky World of Doodles :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Our dog came from a "premium breeder" she arrived Filthy with Pink eye, ear mites, terribly hand shy and timid. I agree with Nancy, it's paid advertising! Do your homework and make an informed choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Breeder in PA

This is my first time here. I recently lost my best friend (a male standard poodle). He passed when I was playing frisbee with him and I was devasted to say the least. In the future (I'm not ready yet) I would consider a doodle and would like any information on reputable breeders in PA. Also I have a question that I have not seen on this site. Being that this dog would be with my family, I am looking for a breed that is good with children ( a doodle fits this description)but I also want a dog that will bark at strangers and be protective of my children.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Re: Breeder in PA

RW294 said:
This is my first time here. I recently lost my best friend (a male standard poodle). He passed when I was playing frisbee with him and I was devasted to say the least. In the future (I'm not ready yet) I would consider a doodle and would like any information on reputable breeders in PA. Also I have a question that I have not seen on this site. Being that this dog would be with my family, I am looking for a breed that is good with children ( a doodle fits this description)but I also want a dog that will bark at strangers and be protective of my children.
My Doodle Denver is the gentlest of dogs, he is called the gentle giant by all and we presumed he would never defend himself or us because he is so gentle, well he was attacked by a Chow Chow while walking with my hubby and I, and he went on the defense for the first time in his life(he is 2) and took the Chow on and protected both of us so I now know that
they will protect themselves and those they love, at least mine did!!!!!!
Both Chow and my Dog came out of it ok with a mutual understanding
that if you mess with Denver you are gonna get your butt kicked........

·
Registered
260 Posts
i think it depends on what you mean by "protective". i think our two doodles make pretty good watch dogs, meaning that they are always alert and aware of their surroundings, and let us know when people are approaching or something is out of the ordinary. but i don't think they would attack another person, even if they were breaking into our home. i actually wouldn't want a dog that feels like it is ok to attack a person under ANY circumstances -- i think it is too hard to teach boundaries for "appropriate" vs. "inappropriate" attacks. something i have read about dogs that are truly "guard dogs" (like akitas, for example) as opposed to "watch dogs" is they are not friendly to strangers, even those strangers you want them to be friendly towards, like a new visitor to your home. we have people over a lot, and while there is usually a bit of barking (no jumping though!) when they first arrive, our doodles are always friendly and well-behaved towards them. i think this is a characteristic of both labs and poodles as well.

-em

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I don't know if doodles make the best protectors :) I guess I don't know because we've never faced such a situation.

I am pretty convinced that Kirby thinks he is protecting our house by watching the front window and barking at people that walk by - of course I have no way of knowing exactly what goes through his mind :)

Doodles are friendly, goofy and very loving. They make a wonderful family dog.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Not sure how protective Doodles can be,,

I suspect,, that if confronted by a burglar that most would Lick their
hand and lead them to the silver,, :lol:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Quote:"I am looking for a breed that is good with children ( a doodle fits this description)but I also want a dog that will bark at strangers and be protective of my children."

My F1 Tuesday is a big lover...but I got her for protection while hiking. When something is out of the ordinary on the trails, she will stick to my side like glue as opposed to running like the wind.
About 6 months ago, I ran into a young man in his 20's, 3 different times on the trail. The 4th time he appeared out of no where, and Tuesday jumped up and body slammed him which is totally out of character for her. I apoligized and he said it was okay...
2 weeks later, walking by the same spot, Tuesday runs to my side and gives out the deepest, londest growl I have ever heard. Could have been him in the bushes, could have been a bear or mountian lion, but she knew.
I just told Tuesday & Marley to "heel", and we jogged right out of there.
At home she alerts us that people are walking by or at the gate. If they are brave enough to talk to her she will wiggle her whole body & beg to be petted. The druggy hoodlems in the neighborhood think Tuesday & Marley are mean, but that's fine with me!
Marley is still young so I am not sure how he will turn out. The most vicious he has ever been was when a girlfriend came over with dark sunglasses & a large brimmed hat on. Marley pinched her on the butt with his front teeth after giving her a bunch of warning barks.[/quote]

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have one labradoodle 2yrs old and one goldendoodle 1.5yrs old
while they're sweet as pie when i am home alone or in the car alone they are very alert and protective of me.

while they accept my friends and family into the house easily, Max is not too quick to let strangers in the house without Barking and keeping his distance first. If i tell him it's okay he settles down.

They alert me to anyone in my driveway, stray cats in my yard and any chipmunk that farts in the wind. :wink:

They work better than my ADT security alarm and infared cameras

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
They alert me to anyone in my driveway, stray cats in my yard and any chipmunk that farts in the wind.
baahahahahhhaaaaaaaaaaa
Denver does alert us to every leaf that blows by the house............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts