Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've had Leno about 2 months now and one thing I've been trying to break is him sleeping on our bed. I think that maybe his previous owner might have let him do this. And I wouldnt mind so much if he didnt shed as bad as he does. My husband works nights, and often I'll get up in the middle of the night and find him sleeping, with his head on the pillows next to me. LOL! Im sure a crate would resolve this issue but im really not into the crates. So...does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to break him of this habit???

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Brooke,
Sounds like Leno does, indeed, normally sleep on the bed...and it will be very, very hard to break him of that without a crate.
In order to break him of the habit, you are going to have to watch him all the time to be sure he doesn't do it...or correct him if he does. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to sleep! :wink:
I wish that you would rethink the crate idea...they are really not an indication of punishment or of a bad experience for dogs. In fact, have you ever noticed Leno sleeping under a table, chair, or desk? I would be surprised if not...because dogs are "den" animals and they like to have something over their head...when they get used to being in a crate, they usually prefer to go there than to sleep anywhere else.
It is your choice, of course...and I understand if it isn't something you want to do...but I just can't think of an easy solution...unless...does he sleep on the bed during the daytime too? You could get those training pads that people put on sofas or countertops...but that involves a small shock...something I don't think I could recommend.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jac...I read your post on the other topic aswell. My husband wants to get a crate, he has had them with other dogs he's owned in the past. Growing up we had a rottie and a chesapeake bay retriever, and never had crates for them. So I kinda just figured I'd do the same with Leno. He does get on the bed during the day and im constantly telling him to get off. But at night when im sleeping I dont know what he's doing. And it is just so cute the way he lays on the pillows like he is human, but his hair is annoying all over the blankets and stuff. I might just have to get a crate for the night time, but my husband also made a good point about that which is why I havent purchased one. If someone were to break in our home or something like that what good would it be if he was locked in a crate? We didnt get him for a watch dog, but im sure if someone was breaking into a house and saw a 80 pound big black dog coming toward them they would leave.....ok, im typing my thoughts here! LOL I guess I'll just keep considering the crate idea!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahaha...you ought to be an author! :lol:
Well...I must admit...my dogs sleep on the bed when they want to! But...they do go into the crate when they want to as well...and once you train the dog to use the crate, you leave the door open and they usually go there on their own so you don't need the door shut and believe me...as gentle as these guys are, they would protect their families!
You know, all of this stuff...how to train a dog and why...is so subjective. Everyone has a different feeling about it and since Leno is your dog, you and your hubby will figure out what works for you!
And...you will make mistakes, just like the rest of us have...and Leno will turn out fabulously in spite of your efforts! :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts