Labradoodle Forums banner

Break in 5 houses down :(

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  annabelles mom 
#1 ·
Good Morning

Couldnt sleep so got back up, turned on my heating pad and grabbed laptop - thought I'd say Good Morning

Had a break in 5 houses down yesterday (wed) am, some guys broke into neighbors storage shed, scary thing was she was out walking her dog at 5am, alone (crazy) without a cell phone - car was going really slow and following her so she hightailed it back home was a few doors down, saw hubby at end of drive and yelled to him, he turned around - wasn't hubby but some very large black man - the car came around corner and he ran and got in as she was running into her home - grabbed hubby he ran out - she called police, of course they were gone by time cops came. All they took was their gas can , cops said with her turning back home so fast, she most likely ruined their plans - he figures they have been the ones in the neighbor hood watching to see who leaves the house early in am for work etc as the one guy was a very large blk guy that she saw that am and one of the guys going door to door also was - good possibility same guy.

This was Wed 5am - on Monday about 2pm my door bell rings -i'm sound asleep - get up run down stairs look out peep hole and see a very large black man - no one I knew so I didnt open door - dogs barking like crazy - he rings doorbell again - finally goes away.

Talked to Linda next door yesterday and they had been to her house too - woke Bryan (her 25yr old son) up - he looked out and saw 2 blk guys he did not know so went back and got his gun/holster put it on and opened door - they were wanting to knwo where he worked who else lived there and some other ridiculous questions which bryan didnt answer, so they were evidently casing houses :( They also had been to the house that they broke into the shed at asking questions - havent talked to other neighbors so not sure what other homes they rang doorbells at - I know neighbors on other side of me were not home nor were ones 2 door up or the ones across street, 4 are gone all day, one couple is retired and in and out and John is in and out a lot down the road I'm not sure, dont know - so now I'll be watching for strange vehicles

Anyhow lastnight/this am I couldnt get to sleep - neighbors dogs 2 doors down wer barking solid for 45 minutes around midnite then againat 3am and then mine ran out to bark had to get them in, I didnt see anyone out there so dont know what they were barking at, probably a cat or a ****, I hope anyhow - this has been a really quiet neighborhood for the 12 yrs we have been here - first sign of trouble since we have lived here, other than some kids smashing mailboxes, thats not great but I'd rather have a smashed mailbox than someone breaking in. It is dark in here - no street lights, we leave front an back porch lights on all the time and have a motion one over garage doors but it's still a dark neighborhood

Just makes me MAD that people think they can just take what they want from whoever they want - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks for letting me grumble !

I hope you have a nice day !

See less See more
#4 ·
Mary that leaves your sense of security violated!!!

my house was broken into 2 times in the past...i did overkill afterwards
as this too is a small quiet town, but crime has its way of creeping into nicer neighborhoods. Doesn't matter the theft/damage was minimal,what matters is I no longer felt safe at home.

I got 3 kids put in jail 2 years ago !!! Dave pursued the issue and so did I, and after 19mos of breakins to homes and cars in my area , all 3 landed in jail.
Shame was I knew one kid since he was 6 years old. BUT HE and his friends violated my sense of peace, security and stole more than material items from me.
To this day, I no longer relax when I am home alone and think Max senses it? he is different with me at night IF and when we're alone, very alert and protective.

my overkill: Got ADT wireless security, the next time installed infared cameras and finally MAX !
who is mom's protector alerting me to all strange sounds one of the reasons that barking doesn't bother me most of the time.

the Cops in town at the pizzeria love Max but said he sounds and looks intimidating when you'r at my frontdoor :D :D :D
(cops were at house due to 2 break ins ..in the past)

Peanut? she might bring them her toy to play fetch hahhaaa

Mary...a dog is a great alarm system for alerting you. If your dog acts strangely, I listen to the dog and check it out. ADT is a good security , where I live you could scream and no one would hear you...and DAVE has "armed" power as well.

hugs to you (((((((((Mary))))))))) as what has happened to you and hope the cops find a way to catch those guys soon.

#7 ·
Mary, that whole situation is terrible!!!! Thank God you have AB to be your watchdog!!! Hope the police catch these jokers, and lock them up for terrorizing an entire neighborhood!!! :shock:

#8 ·
We also had a neighbour just 6 doors down who had a breakin.
This is why I do not get upset when Denver barks
at every single person that walks by my house.
And his bark is as big as he is and if you linger around my
house he will growl as well. I always tell him Thank you for
protecting us and you may settle now, and he does. This way he gets to bark and then settles as he knows he has done his job.
:wink: :wink:

#9 ·
It just makes me soooo mad, I know it will never change, but I still get angry that people think they can take what doesnt belong to them

Annmarie - how sad that you had to pursue charges against someone you knew, but so glad you did, I think too many criminals get a slapped wrist these days and then go out and commit more crimes :x

I always go out and check when AB barks regardless of time of day/night, I just need to get a more powerful flashlight - about 3am her and hank were running the fence barking and i could not see in my neighbors yard to what they were barking at - there is a cat that hangs there at night I'm guessing that was it as I didnt hear anyone run when I yelled HEY at the top of my lungs LOL Neighbor on other side have a dog (sascha the husky) and next to them are 2 boxers and newfoundland - across from us are 2 great danes so lots of barking if anyone is around our house

I am going to put a beware of dog sign on the gates (locked) to our backyard and at front door

Annabelle does NOT like people she doesnt know so she barks if someone other than our neighbor comes to the fence or is in our front yard or drive and I always go look and tellher good girl :)

Thanks for letting me vent - just made me angry on top of nervous and also wanted to remind everyone to be aware of their surroundings

#10 ·
I agree, get ADT! Our neighbor's house was cased and subsequently robbed b/c he didn't have an alarm. He's selling his house so these guys cased the joint during an open house and then came back one afternoon and helped themselves.

I'm sorry you're so on edge...

#11 ·
Lora said:
I agree, get ADT! Our neighbor's house was cased and subsequently robbed b/c he didn't have an alarm. He's selling his house so these guys cased the joint during an open house and then came back one afternoon and helped themselves.

I'm sorry you're so on edge...
When we moved 12 yrs ago and had our house on market (thru realtor) I was outside with my labs and 2 guys pulled in driveway and walked up to fence and wanted to see house - told them NO they could call realtor and they were really pushy I walked back in house let dogs keep barking at them, took plate # (out of state) and called police , they had left by then but I gave license # anyhow.

Another bad time for break-ins is a death in the family, when my mother died, DH and I flew home next morning and that nite around midnight the phone rang 2 nights , dad an I both picked up the line at same time saying hello and No one was there, I'm sure it wa someone checking to see if house was empty - funeral notice had been in that mornings paper.

Had a friend who was a cop - said always have a neighbor or friend stay at house when you go to the funeral home - have cars in drive and lots of lights on burglars take advantage and hit homes

We had hurricane shutters on our house - they were great security, I do miss having those a lot

I need to check into security

#13 ·
Ok where I live if anyone is trying to solicit something door-to-door we call our neighbors to warn them and we also call the cops , who then come out and check on their credentials ALSO in our town they need a permit from the town.

IF we see cars parked on side of road and just sitting there, we call the cops who come out to see why they are there.

When anyone goes on vacation we watch each others homes

IF a unknown car is in your driveway, we never go out alone. If Dave isn't home a neighbor's husband goes out for me

I have been known to answer the door with a knife in my hand and Max Barking his head off. I ask who they are from BEHIND a closed door

#14 ·
I never open my door anymore if I dont know who it is, I look thru the peephole and check - I dont have a screen or security door on this house
- double front doors are a pain, I would never build a house with them after living in this house and a single door with a split foyer is a pain, who designed split foyer homes anyhow :x

It's great that you have to have permits for people to sell door to door, I will have to call and find out if they need one in this area.

Talked to neighbor behind me today and told him what happned and he said they were at his door Monday also ringing the doorbell like crazy, he works nites and was sleeping, by the time he finally decided to get up and see who it was they left

Today John (next door) said he had a guy trying to sell cleaning products at his door, this is getting irritating. I was in shower when doorbell rang so didnt see who was out there today - I assume the cleaning product guy

We are blessed with good neigbors, we all watch out for each others places all the time

I think I shall do up a flyer and pass out in the neighbor hood letting everyone know what happened and to be very cautious of people trying to sell to them :?

#15 ·
That's terrible Mary. Totally understand your concern. We live on a very nice, very quiet street where we know all of our neighbors. Our house has not been broken into, but DH has had very expensive tools stolen out of the garage--in broad daylight!! :roll: And his truck has been vandalized and tools stolen out of it. He's a general contractor, so whoever stole these items seemed to know what was could be easily and quickly sold.

#16 ·
seazr said:
That's terrible Mary. Totally understand your concern. We live on a very nice, very quiet street where we know all of our neighbors. Our house has not been broken into, but DH has had very expensive tools stolen out of the garage--in broad daylight!! :roll: And his truck has been vandalized and tools stolen out of it. He's a general contractor, so whoever stole these items seemed to know what was could be easily and quickly sold.
Sounds like they knew what they were looking for and they had a lot of nerve stealing in broad daylight !
-

#18 ·
Calimom said:
Mary, I just now caught up with this thread. How unsettling!! I agree with others about getting an alarm system installed. I hope the police catch these guys. Yeah to Annabelle and Hankiepoo for sounding the alarm! Cali and I send lots of hugs!!!
TY - I need to start looking at new front doors too, storm/security, I hate not having one but when we moved here, it was just so expensive for them for the double doors but I'm gonna have to try to budget it in, I know I will feel safer with that also - double doors just arent as secure in my mind

#19 ·
MARY i fyou have a door that not only locks on the bottom but also with a dead bolt too....that helps.

you can also buy a few cameras too that are Dummy cameras as well. they're inexpensive and LOOK so real.

The ADT security for me costs $32 a month and covers 3 doors, is wireless, I also leave it set all day so it says:
Front door open/Back door open/closed when anyone enters or leaves.
Max and Peanut are used to it and ONLY bark at night at bedtime or if i am home alone with them. Don't ask me how they know hahhahaa

The alarm :if it goes off is as loud as the new smoke alarms in buildings and half the neighborhoood hears it too. So a burgular has 5 minutes to get in and out before cops are on their way.
MY son set off alarm once and was so nervous couldn't get it off in time. cops held him there till i drove home.

Also if they hear a dog , see ADT and also cameras they usually move on to another home as someone LIKE ME says" go ahead but you'll have some fun"

I also make sure my cellular shades are drawn down half way during day and nothing of value is visible via front door and windows. All they see is fishtanks

Last (longwinded note): Around here in the past there were small breakins due to PRESCRIPTION DRUG ADDICTIOINS and cocaine was on the rise too.
when I put these 3 19 to 22 yr olds in jail, it sent out a message in my town.
And it takes years if your home is broken into to feel completely at ease and safe ...you stay on guard all the time no matter how safe your town is supposed to be. So MAX and peanut can BARK all they want too. and i'll get up 10 times to make sure it's Casper the GHOST :wink: who is lurking about hahahhaaa

#20 ·
I need to check into those cameras

have to call ADT this week or whoever we have here in Hicksville - my neighbor has something, I'll find out, think it is ADT

we have a split foyer - cant see in our living room without a ladder - I have mini blinds at nigh and sheers during day that without a ladder you can see

family room is at ground level, those blinds are always down - DH's room pool table and all his fishing stuff in there so I dont go down and open those blinds up

my biggest cocern is the front doors, double, they are old and I coujld probably kick them in myself and I'm not a strong person

Need to go to lowes this week and get estimates. I'm still thinking of switching it to one door but have to figure out the logistics of it the way the entry is built, not sure if one door would work dont think entry way is deep enough.

Thanks for all the tips - much appreciated !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.