Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time post here. I just got my first labradoodle this past Saturday. He is six weeks old and recently seperated from his mom (5 days ago I believe). Right now I have him gated off in the kitchen area with puppy pads because the rest of the house is carpet. I've never crated a dog before and was considering doing it with this pup. My first question to all those who got their dog around this age is about how long should I expect the whining and crying all night? Would a crate maybe help him quiet down during the night? I'm on day 3 now with bearly any sleep :) The puppy also pees everywhere around the pads which I taped on the floor so he wouldn't chew it up. Even though I've been taking him outside every 20 minutes (which he goes everytime) he also goes on the floor around the paper. Is it possible to have too big of an area gated off for the pup considering his age? Again, since this would be my first time considering crate training a dog I appreciate all suggestions. Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
424 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! What is its name?

I am no expert by any means, although there are lots on this forum who are and I'm sure you will hear from some of them. I would highly recommend a crate. Buy a big one because your puppy won't be little for very long. Get a piece of plywood or cardboard to block off a very small space in the crate for the pup. He won't pee if he is confined to a very small area and will learn to hold it. Take him outside for lots of potty breaks though. I personally do not like the puppy pads because you are training your dog to eliminate in the house. If you later try and get him to go outside, you will be confusing him.

As for the whining and crying, your pup will feel more secure in a crate with a blanket over top. We put our puppy's crate in our bedroom and just being in the same room with us seemed to comfort her. You will still have to let him out once or twice in the night, but he should go outside, do his business, then go right back to sleep in the crate. You might want to slip him a chewie or biscuit to encourage him to go back in the crate without a fuss.

There are lots of resources out there to help you with crate training- books, videos, websites. Good luck and enjoy your new puppy!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum...and congratulations on your new puppy.

I believe that much of the trouble you are having is due to the fact that your puppy is so very young. (Not blaming you at all here...but I really have doubts about your breeder...in many states it is illegal to sell a puppy under 8 weeks old.) The reason I mention this is so that you will understand that he really is missing his siblings and his mother...he will probably cry for a while yet. It won't be as easy potty training him either because he doesn't have much bladder control right now.

Still, you should keep trying. It sounds to me like you are doing things right ... and your puppy is trying too, usually they try to go on the pad, but miss their mark. (Often they put their head over the pad and their "potty end" way off base! LOL)

I suggest that you try to find a snuggle puppy! They are great stuffed animals with heartbeats and heating pads inside...your puppy could cuddle with it at night and not feel so alone.

A crate is a good way to train your puppy. Here is a good link:

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

I am glad you found this forum...I hope that you will check in often...we are here to help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi!

We just got our 7 week old puppy on Saturday as well! We are crate training, and the first night home she whined and cried off and on all night. We stupidly got up to comfort her each time. The second night we put her in her crate at bedtime and she cried for about 10 minutes, then quieted right down, and we didn't hear a peep out of her for 6 1/2 hours!! Last night (#3) we put her to bed and I actually woke her up 7 hours later to go outside. She has never had an accident in her crate, and only about 2 accidents in the house. The key is to take the puppy outside very frequently during the day, and immediately in the morning. We are using a clicker, and treats (which are just single pieces of her food) and it is working very well. She is learning fast.

So, keep your hopes us! Your puppy will learn quickly.

Cathy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, get a picture of your puppy posted soon. As far as a crate idea, I bought a large one that has an adjustable divider in it. Murphy is 5 months old and has about 1/2 of the crate to himself, fortunately he only has to stay in there during the day these days. Something that we found that soothed him at night was taking one of my worn old t-shirts that had my scent on it and put it in the crate with him. Good luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How large do you expect your dog to be when full grown? I know it is hard to know, but if you know the size of the parents, that can help. I would get the size of crate that will suit the dog when full grown. They are fairly expensive to buy, so you don't want to have to go out and buy another one if he outgrows the small or medium crate. I would go with large.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the great responses, I will pick up a large crate for the pup on my way home from work. It's nice having a pet supply warehouse next door to your office :)

The only pictures I have so far are in the snapfish album which I believe require you to have an account to view them, so I will try and get a photobucket album set up. Until then, here's the snapfish alubm

Snapfish Puppy Album

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Chris...I couldn't see the album, but the first picture is there...and your little pup is gorgeous!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The first week we had Farley (we got him when he was 9 weeks) he slept in his crate in the living room and I slept on the sofa. The first few nights hen he woke up scared and cried I would stick my hand in the crate, he's snuggle against it and go back to sleep. After about the 5th night or so, I wouldn't offer him my hand but I'd comfort him with my voice, as soon as he'd hear me, he'd go back to sleep. Now I pull his crate into my room and he sleeps in there and does great. Goes right back to sleep after a potty and is sleeping longer in the mornings. Just keep in mind that he's a baby, and probably scared and just needs a little reassurance that everything is ok and he's not alone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Training

We've had Kenai for almost a week, and I have several questions.

Kenai has woken up at 4:30 a.m. the past two mornings and after I take her outside to go pee I put her back in her crate. She then barks, cries, whines, and yips until 6:00 when we get up for the day. Is this the best way to teach her that the day does not start at 4:30?

We want to teach her to do her business in the woods at the edge of our yard. Should we already be taking her over there to go, or should we just let her get used to going outside first, anywhere? Do you suggest having her on a leash when we go outside so she pees first and then let her off to go play? Sometime she goes right away when we go outside, and sometimes she plays for a while first.

We are doing the clicker training. I always click when she starts going, and then call her over to me for a treat when she's done. Can I also verbally praise her during this process? I hope so, because I always do! I just wasn't sure if the clicker was supposed to replace verbal praise or is to be used in addition to it.

Does anyone else's dog do circles, like chasing her tail, right before she poops? It's the funniest thing I've ever seen!! Does anyone have any idea why dogs do this?

I'll try to post some pictures of Kenai. I have to figure out how first!

Thanks for all you hints and help.

Cathy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up getting a crate tuesday night (wal-mart had the same thing as the pet store for 60% less). If your dog wakes up at 4:30, what time is she "going to bed" and when is the last time you're taking her outside?
Socrates whines every 2-3 hours for me to take him out which I have been, but the crate has been a tremendous improvement in everything. I'm hoping in a week or so, he can sleep in it more without waking me up though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts