Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that Boyd becomes quite aggressive towards unneutered male dogs. Yesterday he went as far as to bite an unneutered dog that was sniffing him. Thank goodness there were no puncture wounds!

Has anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know! That's why I find it so bizarre. You should see him, he gets all stiff, starts growling and then reacts. He's normally so friendly.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Boyd what are you doing?

I have never heard of that. the other way around but not the neutered dog doing it to the un-neutered dog.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's OK Boyd; sometimes I don't like un-neutered males either. :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
It's OK Boyd; sometimes I don't like un-neutered males either.
HAHAHA

Sorry Lora - I don't have any advice. Dexter was very very interested in Kirby's "part" before he got fixed (I remember Max being very interested as well), but we didn't experience any aggression.

Has he showed this around other unneutered males? Was this at a dog park? It's odd because most parks have rules that dogs must be fixed (but then again people do not listen)...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am with Sessa on this one...there's a personality conflict going on

every so often it happens , now does it have to do with one dog being fixed and the other one intact?
i really don't know but plain and simple: it is more of a dominance issue.

Leslie I think Max was curious cause he doesn't have any hahhaaa

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver backs away from any un-neutured male(unless it is quite young)
Because one was mean to him as a puppy so he has
learned to back away from any of them

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys. Boyd has done this to the same dog twice and he also growls at another unneutered male on our walks.

On Sunday I was walking Boyd and my neighbor had her unneutered dog on a leash. We let them sniff and then all of a sudden Boyd just grabbed the dogs neck and growled, etc. We couldn't tell if the unneutered male started it but since I've seen Boyd do this before to the same dog I'm assuming it's Boyd. I gotta tell ya, the unneutered dog is annoying. Always barking and whining - maybe he just annoyed the crap outta Boyd! :roll:

Our dog parks don't allow unneutered dogs but I've seen them there - usually a huge fight breaks out. It's the honor system and we all know how some people can be.

I'm just curious about all of this b/c Boyd happily plays with all neutered dogs to include a golden retriever, a mastiff, a newfoundland, etc....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very well put Vanessa! I could even feel the tension!! The owner wants to breed him but she really needs to get him under control first. This poor dog wants to play and be a puppy but he's attracting unwanted behaviors (such as Boyd's) b/c of not being neutered - poor thing!

Trust me when I say I completely know they can smell hormones... :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I think we waited about 2 weeks post neuter to take Kirby to the dog park. His little part was still shrinking at that point too. He was fine. I would give it a try, but just keep a close eye on him...Kirby definitely had some hormones in him and was fine at the park even at his first visit.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwh...sorry it didn't go so well. I would be leary of parks w/o fences...if you find one with fences I think it would go much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts