Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Izzy's anal sacks are leaking. It stinks. any suggestions? Will she out grow it? My older dog did. She is only 6 1/2 months.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter had/has problems w/his anal sacks. Our vet "expresses" or empties them. It's getting a lot better as he's aged. In addition, he was having food allergy problems and since we've put him strictly on his food and no treats his anal glands have improved too. Last time we took him to the vet they were only partially full so I think they're beginning to empty more naturally now.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We have had to have our vet clean Tanner's anal glands twice now and he is 11 months old. Both times they were very full and bothering him. How common is this? The vet says that the groomer can only express from the outside which does not completely empty them. She puts on gloves and does from the inside. evil: :evil: True/False? :?: :?: :

·
Registered
66 Posts
Funny I should read this post this morning...Hector blew his anal glands this morning! The smell is actually what got me out of bed! Our kitchen is in the process of a renovation and my cabinets don't yet have doors, so the trash bin is easily accessible to him. This has become a problem, so we leaned a step stool (closed) against the cabinet to cover the bin. Well, this morning he tried to get through the stool to the bin, and knocked the stool over in the process, it got caught over his head and he hauled tail out of the kitchen barking like mad at the stool he was dragging behind! :D Apparantly is scared him so bad that he blew his anal glands on the dining room floor! Foul :!: Now in my 8 year experience of working for my veterinarian, I learned that most dogs naturally emply these glands on their own, but there are definitely dogs that need to have it done for them. And yes, the process is to don gloves, insert a finger into the rectum with your thumb on the outside, and "milk" the glands empty. Very GROSS! Then clean the bottom and spray with deodorizer! :wink: Some dogs came in regularly to have this done, because it IS uncomfortable for them if they can't manage it on their own. Also, most of the time, the poop passing by these glands is what keeps them expressed. That's why a lot of people aren't even aware of these glands or their need to be expressed unless a problem arises. Or until something scares them sooooo badly that it happens spontaniously! Anyway, I hope this is just a temporary problem for you, it sure is a "stinky" one to have! :D
Jenny

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the forum - we don't even have a doodle yet!

Anyway, I was just on dog.com and there was an article on bathing, along with instructions on how to express the anal sacs. Although good to know, I think I will get that done at the groomer's. ;-)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi,

Our doodle Dexter has/had problems w/his anal sacks. Since we changed his diet it has gotten better. I'm not sure if it's an age or diet thing (he's 12 mos now). The vet said he had food allergies and both his ears and anal glands have been better since we did the food switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts