Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the other threads about winter walking and snow, people mentioned dog booties for extreme temperatures. I have my doubts whether Charlie would actually wear these but I'd like some recommendations anyway. I saw some in a pet store last night but they were goofy - too fancy to be practical.

If your doodle wears boots, please post the type and brand and your success story. Thanks!

Deb

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks, Vanessa! Now that I know a brand name, I see there are lots of varieties. Charlie might get a pair for Christmas. ;)

And speaking of snow... we are getting are first flurries right now! It doesn't look like it will stick but we're going to need a little play time this afternoon.

Deb

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
p.s. I'm thinking of trying this paw wax stuff this year too....the sled dogs use them and it supposedly helps with ice and salt...
I seem to remember from my early lurking days a forum member mentioning that she used Pam and sprayed her dood's feet before significant snow frolicing. I tried searching for the thread to no avail. :(

It was used primarily to prevent snowballs on the paws. Anyone else recall this tip or am I imagining things? :roll:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK... I ordered the fleece lined ones. Just nobody tell my husband how much I spent on dog boots! $*#&$(&!

Deb

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd be real interested to hear experiences anyone had with booties. We just had our first storm of the season and Shelbe loves running in the snow, but holds up his feet and comes back in the house with snowballs in his fur. I lookedat the Muttluks website. Any preference to the all weather versus the fleece-lined? Just wondering what size you ordered - I looked at the size chart and would probably guess a medium?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a medium and the fleece lined ones. The Muttluks website they have a sizing chart. You put your dog's foot on it to measure. My husband thought this was hilarious. :roll: Still, I would guess most 50-70 pound doodles would wear a medium. I ordered fleece because it seemed that if the weather was bad enough to need them, he'd also appreciate the warmth. I know... I'm a sucker for this dog.

I also ordered a bright color so I'd notice if one came off. I thought about getting black so they wouldn't be so obvious but decided it was more important that I notice a missing one right away and retrieve it.

Deb

G

·
FoodLady said:
p.s. I'm thinking of trying this paw wax stuff this year too....the sled dogs use them and it supposedly helps with ice and salt...
I seem to remember from my early lurking days a forum member mentioning that she used Pam and sprayed her dood's feet before significant snow frolicing. I tried searching for the thread to no avail. :(

It was used primarily to prevent snowballs on the paws. Anyone else recall this tip or am I imagining things? :roll:
Found the post! It was AnnieG:
annieG

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:39 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We trim Tanner's feet and spray with Pam cooking spray...we use the pump because the aerasol freaks him out.

We also use Mush Wax on his pads for gripping and protection from the deicer and salt.

And here is the stuff to buy specifically for that (De-Icer):
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... C12188x007

Here are the ingredients:
Paw Pro
Paw Pro contains all-natural ingredients: Purcellin (preening) oil, hybrid sunflower oil, and lanolin; and will not harm pets if ingested in small quantities. Keep out of reach of small children. If ingested, call a doctor for advice.

Think it would be too slippery or stain the carpet?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Mush wast isn't slippery. By the time we finished our walks the wax was worn off so no problem on my rugs...but I don't have beautiful carpeting.
I mainly used it as protection from the deicing stuff on the sidewalk.

I still like spraying his feet with Pam to keep snow out of feet.

We also bought dog boots from REI. I think they will work on trails but we have 6 inches in our yard and I think Tanner would loose them jumping around like he does.

Tanner had 4 foot baths today to remove the snow balls....AND WE HAVE 4 MORE MONTHS OF THIS...UGH!!!!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
DebBrown said:
I ordered a medium and the fleece lined ones. The Muttluks website they have a sizing chart. You put your dog's foot on it to measure. My husband thought this was hilarious. :roll: Still, I would guess most 50-70 pound doodles would wear a medium. I ordered fleece because it seemed that if the weather was bad enough to need them, he'd also appreciate the warmth. I know... I'm a sucker for this dog.

I also ordered a bright color so I'd notice if one came off. I thought about getting black so they wouldn't be so obvious but decided it was more important that I notice a missing one right away and retrieve it.

Deb
It looks like Chouette would need an X-Small in the Muttluks. I read up on these on Amazon and several people seemed to say that you needed a smaller size than the manufacturer recommended. But I looked at several different kinds of dog booties so I may be thinking of another brand.

It would be nice to avoid muddy feet and muddy floors. We don't get that much snow here.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chouette must have some tiny feet! They recommend x-small for shelties, miniature schnauzers and dachshunds.

I just read the Amazon reviews and they are a mixed bag. I guess I'll just have to wait and see now.

Deb

·
Registered
985 Posts
DebBrown said:
Chouette must have some tiny feet! They recommend x-small for shelties, miniature schnauzers and dachshunds.

I just read the Amazon reviews and they are a mixed bag. I guess I'll just have to wait and see now.

Deb
Well, she's only 44 lbs and is almost 8 months. When I tried the guide that's what it looked like. But I just tried it again, and with her bearing more weight on her paw you're right - she's a medium.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I consider Chouette to be Charlie's long lost twin. :) He's just about the same size and age. I bet he's closing in on 50 pounds but I haven't weighed him in awhile.

Deb

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charlie's birthday is 3/9. Maybe it's good that they don't live close to each other. We may not be able to tell them apart. ;)

Deb

·
Registered
985 Posts
DebBrown said:
Charlie's birthday is 3/9. Maybe it's good that they don't live close to each other. We may not be able to tell them apart. ;)

Deb
Well, their equipment's different :wink:

But if they lived closer together they'd probably use the same groomer and then they really WOULD look like twins!

Leslie

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well... Charlie's new boots came today. We tried ONE on. It was not a success. He seemed extremely unhappy and tried to rip it off. My granddaughter chased him around a bit so we know he can indeed move with a boot on. It's going to take some effort to get four on him!

Deb

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
WE tried out the boots on a hike in new snow...They did not stay on.

Tanner walks just fine in them. They say to put them on and do something fun so that the dog will get use to them while being distracted. That worked for Tanner. I think they will be great in our neighborhood walks to protect his feet from salt and ice.

I also think they will be good on trails where they snow has been packed. Just not when Tanner jumps into the drifts :wink:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vanessa, Charlie's boots are pretty tall. There is a fabric part that is cuffed. It you uncuff it, it definitely extends past his elbow. I will try them again when we are going for a walk or a play time. I agree that he has to be distracted big time!

Today, we are picking up our foster dog - more about that later - so I might give him a reprieve. The house will be crazy for awhile.

Deb

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We are in for a major storm tonight and tomorrow. I will "strap those suckers on" and we'll see how it goes. Maybe I will even get to use my snowshoes :p :p

I hope you get your booties too! :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts