Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boo got bitten on the nose today. :( It wasn’t puncture wounds (thankfully), more like deep scratches because he pulled away when he realized what was happening. (Vet said he'll be okay.) But poor puppy was scared and confused after it happened. .. . I won’t go into detail, but it wasn’t Boo’s fault at all. I'm worried about how this will effect him. ... Poor little guy. :cry:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Poor baby! That happened to my Gabby on the beach once when she was a puppy and she never fully recovered. She's still good with other dogs, but she gets intimidated by dogs that are bigger than her and unknown.

I'm sure that some of the senior members of this forum will have great advice for you on how to make sure this doesn't effect Boo in the long run.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor little guy! :cry: Thank goodness he wasn't hurt more seriously, but I know it was scary for you both! Tyke sends lots of get well wishes (and nose licks) to Boo!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Poor little guy. I know I'd be scared to death if something like that happed to my baby.

Although it might be tough at first, I suggest getting him around another dog as soon as possible. I bet if it's a friendly dog and he has a lot of fun, he won't associate all dogs with what happened to him.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhh pooor ((((((((boo)))))))))))))))))))))))
i sure hope he calms down and isn't affected deeply by this incident

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Just FYI - Dex was pretty much attacked at the dog park when he was around 8-9 months old...he had no bites or blood, but he was on the ground on his back squealing and crying (badly). He seemed to learn to be a tiny bit more cautious (i.e. not everyone will be your friend), but not afraid of the park from the incident. My (unexpert) advice to you is to try to get him back to the park as soon as he's better (and to try to not act nervous). Of course I would leave if I saw the offending dog back there!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
How is Boo today?

Boo's experience is why I am now leery of dog parks. What I watch for is the attentiveness of the owners. If they are sitting on a bench reading or talking on their cell phones and not paying attention to their dogs then my warning antenna goes up. I also scan the park and try to get a feel for how the dogs there are playing. Any unease and I don't go in.

Daycare is not that expensive compared to a vet bill and at daycare the dogs are screened and monitored.

As far as how do you handle Boo's reaction, I don't have the answer. When Tanner was attacked by the St. Bernand (but not bitten) I walked him passed the same area. He seemed find.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind words and well wishes! :lol: Boo is doing much better today. His nose seems to be healing okay and he's acting pretty normal. I took him to see some of his doggie friends (so that he would have positive associations with dogs again) and he was quite happy! So that's a good sign.

We weren't at the dog park when he got bitten, just a regular park- go figure! :? But I totally agree with you guys about the problems with dog parks.

lmtoth2 said:
He seemed to learn to be a tiny bit more cautious (i.e. not everyone will be your friend)
Please god, let Boo learn the same lesson!! I'm not sure if he will because he wasn't bothering or annoying the dog that bit him. (The dog was aggressive.) But I hope he does become more cautious because he puts himself in bad situations sometimes. We're actually taking him to see a dog trainer/canine behaviouralist for help with his social skills. :roll: Boo, the socially inept doodle. :roll: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm so glad Boo is feeling better. Please post after you visit the dog trainer. I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Henry is constantly trying to play with dogs who want nothing to do with him. There is an older female jack russell who bears her teeth and growls as soon as she sees Henry and he happily runs over to her every time wanting to play.

Maybe doodles can't take a hint. :?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Poor Boo! Will you please pass along any good info you get about the subject? The only dog that Dex ever sees is Pork Chop (now that the weather is changing, that will be changing too). They are so crazy about each other, that Chop threatens to bail off the top deck of their house when he's out there alone and Dex goes out to potty. :shock: I always stand there going "don't do it Chop!" and hurrying Dex up.

Anyway, Dex is one of those sweet naive doodles who think the whole world loves them because they love the whole world. They have no concept of a mean doggie.

·
Registered
337 Posts
[quote="my Boo] :roll: Boo, the socially inept doodle. :roll: :wink: :lol:[/quote]

No way, he is just a young doodle.

Sorry to hear about the nose. I'm glad Boo doesn't seem to be too traumatized from the experience.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ozzie is now also a veteran of the nose-bite wars... Our neighbors have 2 dogs. One is friendly, the other is a nasty, barking, snarling little thing. Ozzie peeked over the wall to say "Hi" and the nasty dog nipped Ozzie's nose. He wasn't bleeding, but I think it may leave a noticeable linear scar. Normally I would bang on the neighbor's door and leave a similar scar on HIS nose, but I'm hoping Ozzie learned a lesson from it. I haven't seen him on the wall since it happened!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hope Boo is doing well, sorry to hear about the attack, thank goodness it wasn't too bad! Boo looks darling on you avatar!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Jenny!

Aww, poor Ozzie! I hope your nose gets better. Maybe you can put this "nose-protector" on your b-day wishlist!

Henry said:
Please post after you visit the dog trainer. I'd like to hear what they have to say.
Will do! :) Its nice to know that Boo's not alone in the, um, social skills department.

I hope it will get better as he gets older. I feel like I'm constantly "saving him from himself" during his interactions with other dogs. He does some really dumb-dumb stuff sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I adore the guy, he's just "not the sharpest tool in the shed".

I've been learning a lot about dog body language, so that I'll know when to allow him to meet other dogs, when to step in etc. Its helped us avoid a lot of bad situations, but getting HIM to pay attention to another dog's body language is another story. And sometimes I think he understands the language but doesn't respect the other dog's wishes. (Like when he bugs a little dog that's scared of him.) :oops:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts