Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know those REAL bones they sell wrapped in cellophane? I saw some at the Whole Food store today and almost bought one. Is 11 weeks too young? Are they even a good thing to start?....ever?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I buy Charlie the real bones because is a world class chewer. One of those big bones can last him weeks. He was never interested in the nyla bones and the edible ones are gone in minutes - same with rawhide.

I don't think I would start them with a young puppy who still has baby teeth. I would stick with kongs, nyla bones, etc. if your puppy is happy with them.

Deb

G

·
Bones are good to keep teeth clean, But our trainer advised never giving a high value item such as a bone to a puppy because it could promote resource guarding. It's just too much of a great item and the puppy will want to keep it at all costs (growling, etc). He advised no bones for a puppy and no bones for an adult until training is solid.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Linda said:
Bones are good to keep teeth clean, But our trainer advised never giving a high value item such as a bone to a puppy because it could promote resource guarding. It's just too much of a great item and the puppy will want to keep it at all costs (growling, etc). He advised no bones for a puppy and no bones for an adult until training is solid.
I encountered that with Chouette, who's normally the mildest of critters. We had always been able to get anything out of her mouth. But I bought her a lovely big marrow bone at the supermarket and when my granddaughter tried to take it away from her for a minute Chou growled at her. We scolded her firmly and did several take away/give backs, which she accepted submissively, but then I read about some dogs just being overly territorial about "body parts," so I got rid of the bone completely. Apparently it's not a problem with Deb's Charlie, and I'm sure I could work with Chou on it and not have it be a problem here, but why bother?

She was seven months old at the time, and I gave it to her because she seemed to be doing a lot more heavy-duty chewing, but we've stuck to rubber and nylabones and such since then. Even if Bogie isn't aggressive over bones and ears and other real animal parts, he's too young to need them with those baby teeth, I'd think.

Leslie

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll steer clear of these things. ........thanks!
Leslie, my Springer couldn't handle pig's ears. He was a really sweet dog, but pigs ears and other "body parts" made him quite aggressive. I don't need that again!

·
Registered
985 Posts
lindamarie said:
I think I'll steer clear of these things. ........thanks!
Leslie, my Springer couldn't handle pig's ears. He was a really sweet dog, but pigs ears and other "body parts" made him quite aggressive. I don't need that again!
Chouette didn't react at all to pigs' ears. The lovely marrow bone was the only thing she guarded like that. She's admittedly reluctant to allow me to remove rotting bird carcasses from her mouth, but she doesn't growl - she just tries to avoid my probing fingers. Eeee-yew! :roll:

Leslie

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Pig ears are nasty things. Charlie, of course, loves them but they are greasy and are the only thing that's every bothered Charlie's tummy. He still gets one occasionally since I have an economy size bag of them.

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're not having a problem with........I don't know what they're called.........they're like tendon sticks.(even though they are body parts) They last forever and every dog I've had loves them and no problem with aggression. I'll find the name soon.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I didnt' give Max or Peanut bones till they were older puppies as Peanut was quite agresssive with them and Max would split the bones

NOW we have no problems and Beau hahaha he's last in the pecking order

to-date the best luck i've had is using THE TANK (knuckle joint) bones made by Merrill

Kong makes a great rubber teether that is indestuctible and you can put treats inside it if you like

·
Registered
123 Posts
I give Emily (16 weeks) the TANK (thanks Annmarie for the suggestion) and she loves it. Keeps her entertained for a long time and I never had a problem taking it away from her. Everything else she either destroys in minutes or is not interested in

Maria and Emily

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally found the name of what Bogie has all over the house. Most places sell them, and we got ours at Petco.
They're called Bully Sticks. They're a tendon of some animal.....don't know what. They last forever and my dogs love them!
Is Bogie too young (11 weeks) for the tank?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUWWWWWWW...............Gene I thought they were a tendon! YUK!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I guess now we know where the "bully" in "bully stick" comes from! YUCK!!! :shock:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yikes, Leslie - that name is almost as bad!!! :lol:
Thanks for the comment on the avatar - I thought it was a good one for the holidays - by next year she will be too big for Santa's lap!

Wow - hope Santa doesn't put any "bully sticks" in her stocking!!! :roll:

·
Registered
985 Posts
How big are you thinking she'll get, Kim? At 8 months Chouette is 21 inches and 46 lbs, and I don't know that she'll get significantly larger. And she can still fit on my lap, although it's a stretch. Next year Tyke could just drape herself over Santa's lap if she's too big to hop up, but maybe by then she won't believe anymore! :wink:

Leslie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts